Home

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #2321
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Um....why did you change your name from THE original?!
I remembered that I never really liked it, which is probably why I changed it in the first place.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #2322
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Smoltz vs. Schuerholz

Quote:
Smoltz’s contract is up after this season. The Braves hold an $8 million option for next season — a relative swap meet price for a starting pitcher who leads the National League in innings (190) and ranks second in strikeouts (176). The thought of not exercising the option — which needs to be done by shortly after the World Series — seems implausible.

But general manager John Schuerholz has yet to make even a verbal affirmation on Smoltz’s future — and the pitcher isn’t happy about it. Smoltz also did little to hide what most already knew — that he and Schuerholz hardly are chummy.

“I wonder why it hasn’t [been picked up yet],” Smoltz said of his option. “I know what the pat answer is: That’s how we do business around here. But even if it’s going to ruffle some feathers me saying something — you know what? I just don’t understand it. You’ve never heard me be bitter about something, other than bitter that we lose another chance at a World Series. But when people ask me questions, I have to be honest and say I can’t talk about next year because I don’t know what next year is going to [bring].

“I’ve come back from so much, I’ve worked so hard that I’m not going to concern myself with being the prisoner of an environment. I’ve been here 19 years, so the overwhelming feeling is, ‘They’ll never get rid of you.’ But after every single year, I’ve had to work 10 times harder just to work this out.

“All I know is, after these last two years and with my desire to work out, I’ve got two or three more years, easy. I used to always be of the mind-set that, ‘If it’s not here, it won’t be anywhere else.’ But that’s not the case any more. I’ll pitch somewhere else.”

The Braves need significant fixes if they’re going to become a playoff team again. But when Smoltz was asked what areas he would try to improve if he was general manager, he smiled.

“Every time I answer that, homeboy upstairs criticizes me,” he said, a reference to Schuerholz.

One illustration: When the Braves followed a 6-21 June by winning nine of their first 12 in July, Smoltz said the team needed to make a move to keep the run going and Schuerholz didn’t take it well.

Smoltz: “All I said was, now that we’re playing good, I hope management will do whatever it takes. And he went off. Why? What did I say that a normal competitive player wouldn’t say?”

Schuerholz responded to Smoltz’s comments in July this way: “There’s a lot of people volunteering to be assistant general managers. He’s just the latest.”
I'm sure the option'll get picked up, but... ugh.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #2323
Fear Ameer

skitch's Arena

OVR: 32

You know the Braves are having an off year when the only conversation we can muster in this thread is the everchanging name of... wait, what's your handle now?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #2324
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Off-topic, but I know a lot of you visit the forums over on scout.com, 'The Braves Show' I think it's called now...

What the hell happened to Bill Shanks? The guy used to be pretty friendly and was (and still is, to an extent) a great source for info. Is it just me, or has he become a total a-hole? No wonder so many long-time posters over there left...
Old 08-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #2325
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfan
Off-topic, but I know a lot of you visit the forums over on scout.com, 'The Braves Show' I think it's called now...

What the hell happened to Bill Shanks? The guy used to be pretty friendly and was (and still is, to an extent) a great source for info. Is it just me, or has he become a total a-hole? No wonder so many long-time posters over there left...
As far as how friendly he is, are you referring to something he has done in particular or just how he is in general? I honestly haven't noticed him being too unfriendly. I have noticed how bad his "inside information" seems to be.

Last edited by Brandon13; 08-28-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #2326
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon13
As far as how friendly he is, are you referring to something he has done in particular or just how he is in general?
In general, though I posted that after reading the Glavine thread over there.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #2327
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfan
In general, though I posted that after reading the Glavine thread over there.
I just went through the Glavine thread. Shanks probably went a little too far attacking the other posters but I honestly haven't noticed him being an ******* too much. But like I said earlier, ever since I've been there he has always had bad info.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #2328
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon13
I just went through the Glavine thread. Shanks probably went a little too far attacking the other posters but I honestly haven't noticed him being an ******* too much. But like I said earlier, ever since I've been there he has always had bad info.
Coincidence or not, I didn't really notice it until around the time his book came out. I had no beef with him before that, in fact if you were to review my posts from 2 or 3 years ago they would've been quite complimentary towards him.

I don't know, maybe I'm seeing something that's not there. I've never really gotten into it with him (mainly because I rarely post there anymore), it's just something I've observed lately.

Unrelated, one of the funniest things I've ever read from Shanks was on one of his "Chipper's not a leader" rants when he actually said he (Shanks) is closer to Adam LaRoche than any of his teammates are. I don't know what that had to do with anything, but I found it hilarious.

As far as his inside info is concerned, he's still usually the first to post Braves news, otherwise I'd probably never go over there. But you gotta love the Thomson/Furcal for Teixeira type nonsense...

And as much crap as I get for my name changes, I'd rather send that money to Steve than pay for the stuff Shanks considers "Breaking News".

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »