Home

2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #1521
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: 2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion

If we're going to be serious in regards to the projected starting pitching rotation, then Mike Hampton's name should not appear in it at all. After all, Mike has to get out of the bed, and we all know what kind of injuries that can cause.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 AM   #1522
MVP

Kohlstar20's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan3723
If we're going to be serious in regards to the projected starting pitching rotation, then Mike Hampton's name should not appear in it at all. After all, Mike has to get out of the bed, and we all know what kind of injuries that can cause.
Even though we all know Mike isn't going to be healthy the Braves are hopeful that he can provide atleast 15-20 starts this season thus the reason I included him. Why the Braves are still holding their breath in hopes of him pitching again I don't know, but it probably has alot to do with them paying him roughly 15 Million/season to sit on his couch at home.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #1523
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohlstar20
Alot can change between now and opening day but this is what our projected lineup and rotation looks like right now.

1. SS Yunel Escobar
2. 2B Kelly Johnson
3. 3B Chipper Jones
4. 1B Mark Teixeira
5. RF Jeff Francoeur
6. C Brian McCann
7. LF Matt Diaz/Brandon Jones
8. CF Josh Anderson or Jordan Schafer

1. John Smoltz
2. Tom Glavine
3. Tim Hudson
4. Chuck James or Mike Hampton "if healthy" (I don't see that happening)
5. Jair Jurrjens/JoJo Reyes/Jeff Bennett/Buddy Carlyle (I don't think Carlyle is even expected to make the team but you never know)

Setup: Peter Moylan
Closer: Rafael Soriano

What do you guys think? Do we have a shot at the playoffs this season?
The batting lineup is probably right & you have it right for the positions that are really up for grabs. We are gonna have a fight for LF & CF no doubt. I've stated this before & still believe that Matt Diaz deserves a full-time chance in LF. As for CF, I think a platoon situation is what we're heading towards because no player like an Andruw Jones at that position.

I think Schafer isn't ready yet & Anderson isn't really a legit full-time CF. I can see even Brandon Jones getting some time in CF as well with also him backing up Diaz in LF. We have no player right now with the abilities even close to an Andruw in CF. Anderson can play defense well but no pop in his bat. Schafer is still too young but looks promising for the near future. Brandon Jones has some pop in his bat but not a great fielder & he's really a corner OF guy.

As for the pitching, I think you're close there as well. I think Jurrjens is a lock for a spot in the rotation for sure. I see Carlyle gone & Bennett probably back to AAA Richmond. Hampton I'm not even gonna include at this point. Chuck James certainly doesn't have a spot locked up either. He's too inconsistent & needs more pitches. That leaves probably Reyes as the best shot for another spot. I'm sure we'll see another couple minor league guys make a pitch for a spot in the rotation like Carlyle this past season.

As for the setup guy I personally see Gonzalez ahead of Moylan for that spot. He has more pitches & better stuff to be honest. I know he's a lefty but has already showed he can even be a true closer. Soriano can close but we know about his long ball problems from last year. Gonzalez could easily start the season out as our closer as well. I know he has questions with the injury from last season but if he can come back the same then I see him being our closer. Thanks!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »