Home

Bobhead's Sliders

This is a discussion on Bobhead's Sliders within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #89
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Bobhead's Sliders

I have added a second set of sliders for anyone who wants to play on Hall of Fame batting, in addition to Hall of Fame pitching.

I have been playing on Hall of Fame myself, and have been testing these for quite some time (since early May). It's pretty much the same set, the only difference being that offense is basically brought back up to default to match the increased difficulty.

I also made a couple of changes (the old changes from my previous update are also still highlighted, so it's not as much as it looks).

Timing: Lowered to 7 to match the recently reduced Foul Frequency.

Arm Strength: Increased to 2 because I see a few too many lollipops thrown. Baserunning speed has been at 1 for a while now so I feel I've played enough games to know that 2 is where it will stay.

Consistency/Control: Only changed in the Hall of Fame set for now, but I did a lot of testing with consistency at 0, initially just for the hell of it, but also because I wanted to really see the optimal settings for pitch variety and realistic walk rates. I can promise you I got it right this time.

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictred
thanks for the input, bobhead. I've begun a new franchise to get a fresh start. I've been playing with contact at 5 and pitch speed at 4 and getting better hitting results, but maybe I'll try your adjustments to cpu pitch consistency and fielder reaction instead and see what happens. in any case, I'm still able to get good at bats (I had a 12-pitch at-bat with jeter yesterday that ended in a walk!).
also, one thing I've been noticing - I became especially aware of it since the real-life yankees got a lot of them in a game I watched a few days ago - is that you almost never see those bloop pop-fly hits that land in no-man's land between the infield and outfield. as you say, it seems that the fielder reaction time is just too quick, and the outfielders just run in and settle under the ball.

are you guys seeing any of those types of hits now with reduced fielder reaction?
Were the real life Yankees playing at Yankee stadium when they got this bloop hit? I think the biggest reason you are seeing a shortage of them is that you are playing in a very small stadium.

I could definitely do with seeing more of them though, but so far it does seem like Reaction is helping. (I just gave up a bloop single last night after a walk, extremely frustrating).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr86
So i just finished up another 3 game series v the Angels with the changes i have made 2 posts back.

L 3-10
W 6-0
W5-4

Runs-14
Hits - 31
Doubles -11
HR's-2
BB-8

So basically this is continuing the theme as before. Runs are right in line with where they should be but this time doubles are too high with the Hr's being in range. Hits are a tad too high but not over the top and BB's are good too.
I think i am just going to have to realize that i cannot get everything to line up and just accept it as is. This was a great series and i scored 2 in the bottom of the 9th of the final game to take the series so it dosen't get much better than that!
You are going to need a much bigger sample size to really be certain of how things will go, as Hechtic said. Also keep in mind that how it usually works is you will be way above averages in a lot of things, then one day you will run into a pitcher who is on his game, and all the resulting zero's will bring your averages way down. Don't expect to be playing into the averages every game, it's in the long run that your extremes will even out and leave you "where you should be."
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #90
Rookie

OVR: 3

[quote=Bobhead;2042487480]
Were the real life Yankees playing at Yankee stadium when they got this bloop hit? I think the biggest reason you are seeing a shortage of them is that you are playing in a very small stadium.

I could definitely do with seeing more of them though, but so far it does seem like Reaction is helping. (I just gave up a bloop single last night after a walk, extremely frustrating).quote]

yes, tbe real-life yankees were playing at yankee stadium. I'm just not seeing those hits that drop between the infielders and outfielders, regardless of where the game is played.
anyway, I've implemented your changes and I'm seeing good results, although it's only been a couple of games...I'll wait this time to post my stats after about 40 games to see where I'm at
Old 06-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #91
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

OVR: 5

Bob,

I'm using a hybrid of your sliders and TNK's. The main component being that I'm using TNK's hitting sliders using Timing. I like Zone, but I just found myself being too inconsistent with hitting, and it was taking away the fun from the game. I'm content with Timing, and I've finally got my Dodgers franchise off the ground. The question I'm having is in regards to pitching. Like you, I use Analog pitching, and up to this point I haven't had any reason to change it. However, after 15 games in my franchise (I'm 8-7), I find myself leading the Majors with a 2.57 ERA.

Here is what I'm using right now.

BOBHEAD/TNK HYBRID

*ALL TNK/PB*
*TIMING HITTING*

Human Contact - 6
Human Power - 4
Human Timing - 6
Human Foul Frequency - 5
Human Solid Hits - 4

*ALL BOBHEAD*

Human Starter Stamina - 6
Human Reliever Stamina - 1
Human Pitcher Control - 3
Human Pitcher Consistency - 3

*ALL BOBHEAD*

CPU Contact - 3
CPU Power - 4
CPU Timing - 8
CPU Foul Frequency - 2
CPU Solid Hits - 3

*ALL TNK/PB*

CPU Starter Stamina - 5
CPU Reliever Stamina - 2
CPU Pitcher Control - 5
CPU Pitcher Consistency - 6
CPU Strike Frequency - 1

*ALL BOBHEAD*

Pitch Speed: 4 (TNK/PB)
Fielding Errors: 10
Throwing Errors: 7
Fielder Speed: 0
Fielder Reaction: 5
Fielder Arm Strength: 1
Baserunner Speed: 1
Baserunner Steal Ability: 1
Baserunner Steal Frequency: 10
Wind: 4
Injury Frequency: 5

My main question is what to do about my ERA. I'm really trying not to change anything until at least the end of April in my franchise, but I'm starting to get a little worried that I'll continue giving up only 2-3 runs a game. I haven't given up over 4 runs since my sixth game of the season when the Giants schilacked me 9-1. I noticed you have new sliders with Pitch consistency at 1. What kind of results have you been getting? Do you think this would help solve my problem? Other than that, I'm absolutely loving the sliders that I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #92
Pro

What difficulty are you playing on?

You can try the changes I just made, I've had the same ERA problem, except I didn't really notice it until now, because when I started the season my pitchers all gave up a ton of runs in the first couple of games, and since you can't break ERA's down by time periods, all I saw was a fairly normal ERA as a result. It's only now as I am nearing the 3rd month of my season that my ERA has fell to the point where I realized a change was needed.

----

Dropped Pitcher Consistency and Pitcher Control. 1/1 is what I've been using for several games now, and it's given me some decent and realistic pitch counts and walk rates, and hasn't led to my pitchers being massacred - my main concern - probably because of the reduced CPU Contact.

Dropped Manager Hook because all the other changes I've made recently, including the Consistency above, have resulted in huge increases to pitch counts, meaning the logic that caused the AI to replace their starter in the 8th inning, is now leading to the starter being replaced in the 5th or 6th inning (because he is reaching 100 pitches faster), as such I had to compensate by decreasing this slider. 4 seems to be doing the trick so far.

Stats update before the night is over (I'm in the middle of a game right now lol)
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #93
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

I'm pitching on HOF, just like you. I'm glad I didn't get that far into my franchise before I made the change (no offense). I will definitely give your new settings a shot, and hopefully I can post some stats/feedback after I get my first game in.

Thanks again for your help. Your insight is definitely appreciated.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #94
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Bob,

As promised, I'm going to give you some feedback on the slider changes you made with Human Pitch Control and Consistency at 1. Let's just say that it was quite a different experience than I have been used to over the last ten games or so. Refreshing, yes....hopefully I'll see some different results over the course of time.

STL: 8 13 1
LAD: 7 13 0

Win: R. Franklin
Loss: B. Hawksworth
Save: F. Salas

STL Batting:
2B: R. Theriot, S. Schumaker, T. Cruz
HR: A. Pujols (2), M. Holliday
RBI: K. Lohse, R. Theriot (2), A. Pujols (2), M. Holliday, T. Cruz (2)

LAD Batting:
2B: D. Gordon, J. Uribe, C. Blake
HR: J. Loney
RBI: J. Uribe (2), A. Ethier, M. Kemp, J. Loney (3)

LAD Baserunning:
SB: D. Gordon, T. Gwynn Jr.

Recap:

This was a crazy game for sure. I noticed the difference in sliders right away. I found that it was harder to hit my spots, and even though I struck out Rasmus for the second out of the first inning, I ended up giving up a solo shot to Pujols on a 3-1 fastball. I finally mounted a rally in the 3rd inning, getting 4 NL-style small ball runs. Very nice to see. Cards come back in the top of the 4th with two runs of their own. Opposite field solo HR by Holliday, and a sacrifice fly by K. Lohse (of all people). This was after a walk and a single given up by Kuroda. St. Louis would tie it in the top of the 5th with Pujols' second HR of the game. He CRUSHED this one to deep center. Kuroda in the 6th inning, giving up a single and two doubles. I brought in Guerra to escape further damage. Cards would score three runs, making their lead 7-4 after six innings. I brought in Jansen in the 7th, and he'd make it out of the inning, giving up only a single. Dodgers would mount another comeback in the bottom of the 7th. Kemp singled to left, and Uribe followed with a double to score Kemp. James Loney hits a two-run HR deep to right-center to tie the game at 7. I then drag bunt Gwynn to first, who then stole second with only 1 out. Navarro grounds out to third, which doesn't advance the runner, and Thames strikes out in pinch hit duty to end the inning. 7-7 going into the eighth inning. I start to really play the matchups in the eighth. I bring in Elbert to face the lefty Schumaker, and he pops out. I then bring in Hawksworth to face the rookie Tony Cruz, and he singles to center for his FOURTH hit of the game. Next batter is the pinch-hitter John Jay, and I get him to strike out on a nasty changeup low and away. Next batter is Theriot, and he hits an opposite-field double down the first baseline to score Cruz. I get Rasmus to strike out for the fourth time to end the rally. No noise for the Dodgers in the bottom half of the 8th. Cards lead 8-7 going into the final frame. I bring in Guerrier for the top of the 9th. I get Pujols to fly out for the first out. Holliday reached on a single to SS, because Dee Gordon got caught in a weird animation, and allowed the ball to get passed him. Berkman then hits a taylor made double-play ball to second, Uribe throws to Gordon for the out at second, but he drops the transfer, so Berkman is safe at first. I then get Molina to fly out to left to end the top of the ninth. Once again, absolutely nothing left in the tank for the Dodgers in their half of the inning, and the Cards win it 8-7 in a really fun game.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #95
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Bob,

Saw some pretty gnarly changes to the HOF sliders, especially the CPU hitting....interested in getting your thoughts/reasoning behind them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #96
Pro

My apologies, but those "changes" were supposed to be there like a week ago when I first posted them, but I have been experiencing internet problems the entire week(ugh Comcast) and wasn't able to really update anything. I had submitted the post once and it stalled out, then I had to go back and retype everything, so of course I was rushing and missed the CPU part (because I just copy/pasted the All Star set to save time typing the global slider areas).

That's the same reason I haven't posted a stats update yet, like I said I would. It was taking me like 10 tries to successfully post something, and I thought I had successfully edited the post last week, but the other day I checked back and realized everything was all messed up.

When I made the HoF slider set I decided two things: That it wasn't necessary to use the same expanded timing window for the CPU, because it can swing whenever the hell it wants to anyway. The AI also has access to directional influence and all of that, and doesn't have to use it "ahead of time." The 1 point increase to Timing there now is more to circumvent the 1 point decrease to Contact.

I also decided I would set everything (in terms of CPU offense) back at default and work from there, instead of trying to build off the sliders for All Star, because I feel the AI has a lot more balance to it on Hall of Fame, despite obviously being more challenging, and that the quirks of All Star didn't really apply.

That Contact was lowered to reduce the superhuman plate vision the AI tends to have. Foul Frequency was decreased 1 point to increase pop-ups/ground outs from the CPU, and that's about it.

I have been using the Hall of Fame set more or less for about a month (I switched to HoF a little after my last stat update), and the only changes I've actually made in my game are CPU Power going from 4 to 5, and Manager Hook from 6 to 4, as well as the bolded changes in the set.

You guys have my word here: the following are changes I'm considering, and are the only changes I will make the rest of the year, if I make them.

Both sets: Baserunner Speed at 2
All Star: Pitch Consistency and Pitch Control at 1, to match what they are in the other set (since both sets are on Hall of Fame Pitching).

And note it's still only consideration. I put off fine tuning the baserunner speed and such because I felt it was the least important, and wanted to get the offense and pitching right first, but lately I've been paying more attention to it and I feel like Baserunners are just a tad too slow at 1.

*Franchise update in following post*

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »