Home

Bobhead's Sliders

This is a discussion on Bobhead's Sliders within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #105
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Bobhead's Sliders

Hey Bob just wanted to ask a few questions in regards to fielding. First I want to say that I haven't ever had a dink or a dunk hit with any slider set OTHER than yours, and for that I am truly greatful for this set! I am wondering though if you have tried any combinations of lowering fielder speed and increasing reaction to be able to get the outfields to still not be able to flag down so many damn balls out there but yet not cripple the infielders from being able to make the plays that they should. Where it's at right now is prefect for the infield in my estimation BTW and I thank you for that but it still seems that the outfields can run in to shoe-string a bit too many (of course I am also worried about their programming too, it seems that they have the understanding on how to play the walls and such but I think that if they aren't fast enough to catch those shoe-strings that they will run on anyway and end up with the ball going right by them on the short hop).
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #106
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HechticSooner
Hey Bob just wanted to ask a few questions in regards to fielding. First I want to say that I haven't ever had a dink or a dunk hit with any slider set OTHER than yours, and for that I am truly greatful for this set! I am wondering though if you have tried any combinations of lowering fielder speed and increasing reaction to be able to get the outfields to still not be able to flag down so many damn balls out there but yet not cripple the infielders from being able to make the plays that they should. Where it's at right now is prefect for the infield in my estimation BTW and I thank you for that but it still seems that the outfields can run in to shoe-string a bit too many (of course I am also worried about their programming too, it seems that they have the understanding on how to play the walls and such but I think that if they aren't fast enough to catch those shoe-strings that they will run on anyway and end up with the ball going right by them on the short hop).
Yeah if I could set fielder speed at negative 1, I would, but sadly 0 is the lowest you can go. You can try lowering Reaction down a point, you will notice a lot more balls dropping in the outfield, and fewer random line drives caught. I've played with Reaction at 4 quite a bit and I like how it plays, I just haven't decided if I like it better than 5, but you probably will.

Are you playing with Fielding Errors maxed like my sliders recommend? Believe it or not, this slider seems to affect how accurately the CPU plays balls off the wall and other such things, because it is like a whole new world for me. The other day the CPU completely misplayed a ball in the gap, at first running forward when the ball was over their heads, giving me a stand-up triple. These types of mistakes are more common with a higher Fielding Errors slider, so if you can get passed the fact that they do happen to you (although it doesn't appear to be as much), I'm confident you will enjoy it.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #107
Pro

The CPU offense indeed has gotten excessive, so CPU Contact moved back down to 3, where it will stay. I also increased Foul Frequency back up to 3 to bring pop ups and ground outs back down to realistic numbers. 71 games into the season so here's an update:
---
A few weeks ago, Dan Johnson came off the disabled list, and Justin Ruggiano was called up from AAA, and together they have carried the team back into contention. They have combined for 11 home runs in the last 10 games, including a pair of back to back home runs - on two separate occasions. The pair also picked up the struggling Evan Longoria. Now batting with protection behind him, Longoria has gone on a tear, with 2 back-to-back 4-hit games, and 6 home runs in his last 10 games.

The Rays used this new-found offense to win 2 out of 3 against both the Orioles and Red Sox, as the Rays are now just 4 games behind Boston for first, and only 2 games out of the wildcard.
---
Pitching Stats:
ERA: 3.28 (up from 2.83)
Batting Average: .255 (up from .241)
Walks: 139 -- 1.96 per game (down from 2.01)
Strikeouts: 373 -- 5.25 per game (up from 5.09)
Hits: 690 -- 9.72 per game (up from 8.92)
Runs: 265 -- 3.73 per game (up from 3.19)
Home Runs: 75 -- 1.06 per game (up from 1.03)

Batting Stats:
Batting Average: .255 (up from .252)
Batting Average w/ RiSP: .264 (up from .261)
Walks: 194 -- 2.73 per game (down from 2.86)
Strikeouts: 582 -- 8.2 per game (down from 8.42)
Hits: 627 -- 8.83 per game (up from 8.6)
Extra-Base Hits**: 147 -- 2.07 per game (up from 2.06)
Home Runs: 88 -- 1.24 per game (up from 0.94)
Runs scored: 311 -- 4.38 per game (up from 4.19)
*Excluding Home Runs

The inflated offense by the CPU is quite marked, but can also be attributed to the teams I've played against: the 3 best offenses in my league, Boston, Baltimore, and Anaheim. Regardless I've addressed the offense in the sliders, and I am confident it will play well from here.

My offense is a bit inflated, but I'd attribute that more to the return of Dan Johnson (who was out for 2 months), and the call up of Justin Ruggiano, both of whom have been on fire. After going on a huge home run drought, I've hit like at least 40 in my last 10 games, and I'm highly doubtful that such a trend will last long.

Last edited by Bobhead; 07-13-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #108
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Yeah if I could set fielder speed at negative 1, I would, but sadly 0 is the lowest you can go. You can try lowering Reaction down a point, you will notice a lot more balls dropping in the outfield, and fewer random line drives caught. I've played with Reaction at 4 quite a bit and I like how it plays, I just haven't decided if I like it better than 5, but you probably will.

Are you playing with Fielding Errors maxed like my sliders recommend? Believe it or not, this slider seems to affect how accurately the CPU plays balls off the wall and other such things, because it is like a whole new world for me. The other day the CPU completely misplayed a ball in the gap, at first running forward when the ball was over their heads, giving me a stand-up triple. These types of mistakes are more common with a higher Fielding Errors slider, so if you can get passed the fact that they do happen to you (although it doesn't appear to be as much), I'm confident you will enjoy it.

Yeah I'm playing with the 10 in fielding errors for the exact reason that you put it there, it's actually something that I did before using your sliders. I will try going back to the reaction at 4 again and see it just seemed to screw the infield too much but I'll try it out.
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #109
Banned

OVR: 1

using these sliders for a few games I kept getting that cpu comeback that "doesnt exist". every game, 6th or 7th inning cpu scores 5 runs with 2 outs like clock work. I changed pitchers, threw a variety of pitches all over the zone and out of the zone but same thing happened. I made a few adjustments to these sliders that seem to have settled that down without giving up the competition aspect of them. I do LOVE the error sliders and the baserunner speed sliders as they have made a difference. for the first time since mlb 09 I saw an outfielder during a day game lose a ball in the sun. found that awesome.

Humnan:

Power: 5
Timing: 7
Foul Freq: 3
Solid Hits: 2
Starter Stamina: 7
Reliever Stamina: 5
Pitch Control: 5
Pitch Consistency: 5- I found this, along with lowering cpu contact/power stopped the "glitch that doesnt exist"

-- CPU --
Power: 3
Foul Freq: 2
Starter Stamina: 4
Reliever Stamina: 2
Pitch Control: 4
Pitch Consistency: 2
Strike Frequency: 2
Manager Hook: 5
Pickoffs: 6

--Neutral--
Pitch Speed: 3
Fielding Errors: 10
Throwing Errors: 7
Fielder Speed: 0
Fielder Reaction: 5
Fielder Arm Strength: 2
Baserunner Speed: 1
Baserunner Steal Ability: 3- when it was on 1, in 7 games, neither team had a steal. wasnt realistic. 3 seems to play better IMO.
Baserunner Steal Frequency: 7
Wind: 4
Injury Frequency: 5

remember my changes wont fit every one perfectly, but if you had the same problems I did they can help. Bobhead's original sliders were awesome too. I dont mind going 0-7 in 7 close games, but when each game results in an unstoppable computer onslaught I had to make some changes.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #110
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystyle
using these sliders for a few games I kept getting that cpu comeback that "doesnt exist". every game, 6th or 7th inning cpu scores 5 runs with 2 outs like clock work. I changed pitchers, threw a variety of pitches all over the zone and out of the zone but same thing happened. I made a few adjustments to these sliders that seem to have settled that down without giving up the competition aspect of them. I do LOVE the error sliders and the baserunner speed sliders as they have made a difference. for the first time since mlb 09 I saw an outfielder during a day game lose a ball in the sun. found that awesome.

Humnan:

Power: 5
Foul Freq: 3
Starter Stamina: 7
Reliever Stamina: 5
Pitch Control: 5
Pitch Consistency: 5- I found this, along with lowering cpu contact/power stopped the "glitch that doesnt exist"

-- CPU --
Power: 3
Foul Freq: 2
Starter Stamina: 4
Reliever Stamina: 2
Pitch Control: 4
Pitch Consistency: 2
Strike Frequency: 2
Manager Hook: 5
Pickoffs: 6

--Neutral--
Pitch Speed: 3
Fielding Errors: 10
Throwing Errors: 7
Fielder Speed: 0
Fielder Reaction: 5
Fielder Arm Strength: 2
Baserunner Speed: 1
Baserunner Steal Ability: 3- when it was on 1, in 7 games, neither team had a steal. wasnt realistic. 3 seems to play better IMO.
Baserunner Steal Frequency: 7
Wind: 4
Injury Frequency: 5

remember my changes wont fit every one perfectly, but if you had the same problems I did they can help. Bobhead's original sliders were awesome too. I dont mind going 0-7 in 7 close games, but when each game results in an unstoppable computer onslaught I had to make some changes.
I can confirm that I was getting this cpu comeback thing also. and like poster said it was always 6 or 7 inning and always with 2 outs. I have read other people's posts that have said this usually occurs when cpu contact is "above 4" and/or "cpu power is above 4" so I will try these adjustments out. I lose a lot lol, but last game was up 5-0 in the 7th a new, fresh pitcher on the mound gets 2 outs then 3 hits, change pitcher, 2 more hits, change pitcher and next 3 pitches all home runs out of the park. Second time something like this happened to me in my last 4 games. I realize things like this happen in real life, but thats when I looked it up and found some people also have this problem and had it in mlb 10. I could just suck also lol I am still new to the show.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #111
Pro

I'm glad the adjustments work for you, but remember we are talking about Hall of Fame difficulty. If you are losing, lower the difficulty. I haven't had any problems with any nonexistant issues, I haven't really blown any games in the middle innings at all actually.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #112
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I'm glad the adjustments work for you, but remember we are talking about Hall of Fame difficulty. If you are losing, lower the difficulty. I haven't had any problems with any nonexistant issues, I haven't really blown any games in the middle innings at all actually.
I am very intrigued by your analysis of sliders and what you've put together here. I play on HOF (hitting and pitching) and many of the issues you address were my issues as well. I too agree that pitching especially the cpu and relievers are far too accurate and consistent. My fear which is probably based on myth was that the cpu would chalk up too many "meat" pitches and winning would become easy when cpu control and consistency were lowered well below default.

The cpu paints the corners far too much, imo. Relievers are like robo pitchers and pound the strike zone in late innings.

So my question is this. I am getting about 3.5 walks per game and really enjoy the fact that I can work the count deep.

I've always believed that part of my success was due in part to a lower strike frequency. That is, the cpu aggression was lowered so that it would once in awhile, throw ball 4 on 3-2 counts.

You have strike frequency at 5. MY complaint about HOF was that the cpu was too strike happy unless the frequency was lowered. Is this a wrong assumption? You seem to emphasize that lowering the control and consistency will provide the necessary pitch counts and walk opportunities without the need to lower frequency. What results would make you want to lower it?(frequency) Lack of walks? too many user strikeouts?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »