Home

With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

This is a discussion on With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-13-2015, 03:16 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
- Meter Randomness - I love the meter, but the randomness of where the pitch lands is frustrating. I can miss the meter high or low and the location where the pitch goes is completely random. If you miss the meter low, the pitch should go low.

I agree with this. If a person wants randomness then use classic pitching. Meter pitching should be about user control, lord knows there is already to little of this as it is.

I don't know....I could argue that the meter misses more left to right than up and down. I like how it works when you miss the mark and where the pitch misses certainly depends on the type of pitch you throw and how much juice you've put on it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2015, 03:59 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

I think you all are totally wrong about the meter, it's perfectly fine the way it is. First of all, I don't think anyone has nentioned that it has to do with player stats as well. Missing a spot with Kershaw is going to be different than missing with a lesser pitcher, as it should be.

But more importantly, having total control even when you miss the accuracy mark is silly and unrealistic and not at all how real baseball works. The way you want it makes the game much too easy. For example for a high fastball you can just train yourself to always be some degree early on the meter, that way worst case it's a high ball, best case a swing and miss or borderline called strike. Rarely will solid contact be made. At the same time a low pitch like a sinker say you can just always be somewhat late on the meter, and you'll either get a ball, swing and miss,grounder, or borderline strike call, but no solid contact. MOST real pitchers don't have this kind of control. Home runs and deep extra base hits happen when pitches supposed to be high fall into the zone or pitches that are supposed to be low come up into range.

After using meter for many years I have been using pulse for the past 3 games and have no control at all over underthrow or overthrow. However, I learn how certain pitchers tend to miss and adjust accordingly. And when I miss the timing I deal with the consequences.

I am 9-0 in DD online, not a huge sample size so I'm no great player, but I am not losing any edge whatsoever because I can't control my pitches well enough.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:06 AM   #27
Rookie

ChrisHansen59's Arena

OVR: 2

The game most definitely manufactures rallies out of nothing and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:18 AM   #28
Pro

OVR: 5

You missed a Very annoying one.

Catchers coming out of box unrealistically fast.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #29
Rookie

SwitchbladeAli's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHansen59
The game most definitely manufactures rallies out of nothing and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it.
I haven't found the time to play much last year so this year I thought I'd give dynamic difficulty a try to see if I can still pitch in All-Star like in 12 & 13. Through my first ten games in my franchise I have yet to see a change in difficulty, the best I could do was Rookie+ and +++ in progress (pitching that is). Then the CPU, behind in runs, decides to give itself a nice two out rally in late innings. And I have yet to pitch a game where I do not give up a home run. Sometimes mixed into the rally, sometimes early in the game.

I'd play more but after such games I quit and won't touch the game for a day or two.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #30
Banned

Go Yankees's Arena

OVR: 0

I hope they can fix the number of different types of balls hit to the outfield and then adjusting the outfielders speed or whatever so there are a few more diving plays in the outfield.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #31
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Just a reminder to keep this thread respectful, and don't try to hijack it just because you see a developer responding.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #32
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch66
I think you all are totally wrong about the meter, it's perfectly fine the way it is. First of all, I don't think anyone has nentioned that it has to do with player stats as well. Missing a spot with Kershaw is going to be different than missing with a lesser pitcher, as it should be.

But more importantly, [b/]having total control even when you miss the accuracy mark is silly and unrealistic and not at all how real baseball works.[/b] The way you want it makes the game much too easy. For example for a high fastball you can just train yourself to always be some degree early on the meter, that way worst case it's a high ball, best case a swing and miss or borderline called strike. Rarely will solid contact be made. At the same time a low pitch like a sinker say you can just always be somewhat late on the meter, and you'll either get a ball, swing and miss,grounder, or borderline strike call, but no solid contact. MOST real pitchers don't have this kind of control. Home runs and deep extra base hits happen when pitches supposed to be high fall into the zone or pitches that are supposed to be low come up into range.

After using meter for many years I have been using pulse for the past 3 games and have no control at all over underthrow or overthrow. However, I learn how certain pitchers tend to miss and adjust accordingly. And when I miss the timing I deal with the consequences.

I am 9-0 in DD online, not a huge sample size so I'm no great player, but I am not losing any edge whatsoever because I can't control my pitches well enough.
Most MLB pitchers have exactly this type of control. Those that don't aren't in the league very long. More than 90% of the time when a MLB pitcher misses his spot he does so toward the side of the plate he is aiming. Very rarely does a pitcher completely miss. What would make more sense is to put the system in place so that if you aim high and miss the meter late then it goes higher than the spot but if you are aiming low and miss the meter late it goes low, mimicking an overthrow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »