Home

With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

This is a discussion on With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:29 AM   #9
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

Alot of your points frustrate me too but it also adds to the randomness which I enjoy.

Bunting one million percent agree but I have no doubt it will be fixed.

Meter randomness doesn't really bug me but i do like the thought that if you miss low the pitch goes low. Seems more realistic to me.

I disagree with your view on change ups. I like the fact that if I get fooled on a change up I really get fooled on a change up.

The Olay animation frustrates me too but I do like that stuff like that happens and everything isn't just happening routinely. It could probably use a little tweaking Though.

ground balls hitting the pitcher. This is the second biggest complaint after bunt success. It's really not implemented well at all imo. Way too frequent for one and also the outcomes can be just dumb sometimes. I've had a slow liner nearly flatline my pitcher and I've had screamers that nail my pitcher in the face and he acts like it was nothing and completes the play.

The strike zone calls seems very random to me and not just in important late game situations. I actually really enjoy how they implented it.

I agree with your point on the high strike zone. I constantly see high strikes called in the show that never get called in real life.

i too am not sure what you mean by wild pitches. I get a realistic amount and since the patch I haven't seen any of the complete whiffs by the catcher on pitches in the strike zone.

I would add that the tagging system still needs work. Its definetly better post patch but still not good enough. I had posted a video yesterday in the missed tag thread of the fielder morphing thru the runner and not getting an out. In the same game I had the runner at home by a mile and my catcher swiped to early and he was safe costing me the game.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:34 AM   #10
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...s_interest.jsp

Quote:
Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone

The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.
For rule changes the past 30 years:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...trike_zone.jsp

Quote:
1996 - The Strike Zone is expanded on the lower end, moving from the top of the knees to the bottom of the knees.
Quote:
1988 - The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the top of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

...so, while most umpires don't call the letter-high strike, it's still in the rule book as a strike. SCEA's implementation of the strike zone is correct according to MLB policy (which they likely cannot deviate from), regardless of whether it truly duplicates real life. I agree with you P.A.D. but nothing SCEA can really do on this standpoint (I don't think at least).

Last edited by Speedy; 05-13-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:40 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Regarding the strike zone (SCEA should comply to MLB rules, regardless of real life results):

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...s_interest.jsp

For rule changes the past 30 years:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...trike_zone.jsp

We agree to disagree. The strike zone simply isn't called that way anymore and hasn't been for some time. In order to recreate a simulation baseball game, you must go by what happens, not by what's "supposed" to happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2015, 12:49 AM   #12
Banned

With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty

Meter randomness doesn't really bug me but i do like the thought that if you miss low the pitch goes low. Seems more realistic to me.

I'm quoting from my earlier reply because I edited it and think I worded this more clear.

Put simply, if I aim low and miss the meter early, the pitch should stray down the middle, allowing for more solid contact. Likewise if I aim low and miss the meter late, the pitch should be in the dirt. And if I aim high or down the middle and miss the meter early, the pitch should go higher than I wanted. At least this way I can blame myself for rallies and walks as opposed to relying on random game pitch placement. Less user control = more reason for users to believe that the game is dictating results. I want to feel like my ability to call and execute pitches is what's winning and losing games. Having the game randomly decide where the pitch goes simply adds fuel to the old "comeback logic" debate. I want to decide where my pitches go based on my feedback so I can blame myself for losses and not computer randomness dictating it's time for the computer to generate a rally.

Last edited by Padgoi; 05-13-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:54 AM   #13
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
We agree to disagree. The strike zone simply isn't called that way anymore and hasn't been for some time. In order to recreate a simulation baseball game, you must go by what happens, not by what's "supposed" to happen.
I can't speak for SCEA but I would doubt they could keep MLB's license if they deviate any from the rulebook; MLB likely would view any variance as an integrity of the game issue.

I'm not disagreeing with you but rather stating that I believe SCEA's hands are tied.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:59 AM   #14
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Add me to the chorus of please fix hits up the middle hitting the pitcher. I feel like it happens a little more often than once a game to a borderline average of twice. It's been like this for a couple years now.

I'm not really sure what the precise problem is, but sometimes it feels like the contact that results in these grounders should instead cause a ball in the air flared into shallow center. Pure conjecture on my part though.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:02 AM   #15
Rookie

QuestGAV's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Names of the pitchers please?
Tyler Matzek
Brian Schlitter
Eddie Butler
Scott Elbert
Jason Garcia
Shaun Marcum
Shane Greene
RJ Alvarez
Michael Pineda
Aaron Sanchez
Kendall Graveman
Roenis Elias
Dominic Leone
Rafael Montero
Mario Hollands
Neil Ramirez
Jason Marquis
Matt Reynolds
David Carpenter
Jeff Francis
Scott Carroll
Yohan Pino
Blaine Boyer
Nick Tropeano
Brad Hand
Jacob DeGrom
Tyler Thornburg
Radhames Liz
Robbie Ray
Kevin Quackenbush

All have changeups that are at least 6 and up to 11 MPH slower in game than their real life change. For example, Matzek it turns a relatively mediocre changeup that's 4 MPH slower than his FB into a 15 MPH differential -it's really tough to hit. Pineda goes from 7 to 14. Instead of pulling a changeup foul when I guess wrong it's a swing & miss or tapper over the plate. I don't mind trading some realism for gameplay but these changes seem overdone and inconsistently applied if they were intentional. Interestingly, the only guy in The Show whose changeup is significantly faster than it should be is Mike Morin of the Angels. Not sure why he got left behind. Traded for him in franchise because I felt bad for him.

Looks like Tanaka lost his ridiculous changeup from the default rosters in one of the live updates, thanks for that. There might be another guy or two up there that had their changeup made a bit more realistic but the other ones I checked are still there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2015, 01:03 AM   #16

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I can't speak for SCEA but I would doubt they could keep MLB's license if they deviate any from the rulebook; MLB likely would view any variance as an integrity of the game issue.

I'm not disagreeing with you but rather stating that I believe SCEA's hands are tied.
I'm not sure that argument makes a lot of sense with both variable strike zones and missed calls being allowed.

High strikes have been a small pet peeve of mine for years as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »