Home

With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

This is a discussion on With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #41
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_bondra
Correct, 12 inches absolutely is huge. The plate is only 17" wide - if you aim outside on the black and miss by 12", that pitch is grooved on the inner half right where the hitter wants it. WHAMMO!
12 inches was the average across all of baseball. And again no pitcher above high school aiming at the outside black is going to leave the ball back across the inner half of the plate without a serious extenuating circumstance. That's the exact point, the game does not differentiate that with where the meter end point is in reference to the target bar. If you miss the bar it calculates a random end point based on missing the bar combined with the pitchers control stat. The point is and kooch made exactly my point with his volquez stat is that miss location is predictable based on location and trajectory. For volquez it was also combined with his mechanic flaw of leaving his shoulder open and not tendency to not finish his pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
After being frustrated by this I stepped back and considered if it was something that I was doing and found that it's more often than not a matter of me not adjusting my pitching to the situation. Not a matter of mixing up pitches but a matter of my location. I've noticed that the inning immediately after you score or when trailing in the late innings the cpu begins to get much more aggressive. I tend to always pitch to the corners in the zone and have very low walk totals and when the cpu goes aggressive I get burned. And as I said thats usually in those moments when they need a rally. My guess is people that are seeing these "opportune" comebacks have low walk totals and an abnormally high strike to ball ratio that are playing right into the cpu aggressiveness.
My strike/ ball ratio is quite realistic every game, I always make sure to check to make sure and yet I still run into the "CPU Aggressiveness" issue when my team gets a lead of 3 runs or more. The fact is, when my team gets a lead of 3 runs or more, the CPU gets ultra-aggressive AND ultra-efficient in that they take more balls, take more walks and get more hits and there is very little you can to combat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch66
Even with the changes to the meter this year you are NOT going to throw a fastball low and away, miss the meter low, and have the pitch come way up and in, that is not happening. However, if you throw a fastball low and away and miss the meter in either direction (high or low) the ball might come SLIGHTLY up, meaning that if you're using a RHP vs a RHB and you're targeting the black low and away and miss, it might come up a bit and allow for some good contact. This is totally realistic, to me anyways. I just don't believe that most MLB pitchers "miss where they want to" 90% of the time.

Also don't forget about player's stats as well. Outside the top 10 to 15 guys most everyone else has fairly low control and bb/9, usually in the 60s or even 50s. That's playing a part too. If you have a guy with bad control and bad bb/9 he may just miss his spot, on top of the over/underthrow. For example, again if I put my marker on the low black and overthrow you guys want the pitch to miss down. But the pitcher might MISS HIS SPOT meaning where you placed your ball marker and actually throw it waist level, then with the over throw it does drop a bit but still gets a lot of plate. You are seeing this as a low fastball with overthrow "missing high, randomly" when in reality the pitcher has missed the spot altogether.
Again, not true in my experiences. I've had PLENTY of pitches where I've aimed low and outside, missed the meter by a slither and had the pitch go high and inside or low and inside, nowhere near where I was aiming. And Russell said it himself, when you miss the meter, the pitch location is completely random by design. Why would it be coded that way? The answer is clear as day.

The fact remains that most pitchers can throw their pitches at least NEAR where they're aiming. If I'm aiming low and I miss the meter even a SMIDGE early, that pitch can leak over the plate. Your hypothesis about users being able to train themselves to miss locations by a smidge is just completely off because by that logic, we too should be able to train ourselves to nail the meter every time, which simply isn't realistic. I don't know how the game would be SO easy by your definition because we as humans CANNOT nail the meter perfectly every time, so if I aim low and miss a smidge early, that pitch can be in a hitter's wheelhouse. Likewise, if I "train" myself (at this point we've already established this is impossible) to miss the meter by a smidge, the CPU can be sitting in that location and still hit the ball solidly. The fact that the pitch location is completely random when missing the meter only fuels the argument that the CPU can see a team down and "randomly" decide to have my pitch leak down the middle resulting in a hard hit ball. And again, this only fuels the argument that we as users have very little control in the outcomes of the games. And that is very disappointing to the degree that it makes me almost not want to play if I know my skill level has almost no bearing on my game results.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 2

Throw urgency ?
Base-running tag-outs ?
Foul balls transported to fielder's glove in Wrigley Field ? (not only Cellular Field)

These 3 issues were NOT mentioned nor addressed in 1.03 Patch !
Old 05-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
My strike/ ball ratio is quite realistic every game, I always make sure to check to make sure and yet I still run into the "CPU Aggressiveness" issue when my team gets a lead of 3 runs or more. The fact is, when my team gets a lead of 3 runs or more, the CPU gets ultra-aggressive AND ultra-efficient in that they take more balls, take more walks and get more hits and there is very little you can to combat it.

Again, not true in my experiences. I've had PLENTY of pitches where I've aimed low and outside, missed the meter by a slither and had the pitch go high and inside or low and inside, nowhere near where I was aiming. And Russell said it himself, when you miss the meter, the pitch location is completely random by design. Why would it be coded that way? The answer is clear as day.

The fact remains that most pitchers can throw their pitches at least NEAR where they're aiming. If I'm aiming low and I miss the meter even a SMIDGE early, that pitch can leak over the plate. Your hypothesis about users being able to train themselves to miss locations by a smidge is just completely off because by that logic, we too should be able to train ourselves to nail the meter every time, which simply isn't realistic. I don't know how the game would be SO easy by your definition because we as humans CANNOT nail the meter perfectly every time, so if I aim low and miss a smidge early, that pitch can be in a hitter's wheelhouse. Likewise, if I "train" myself (at this point we've already established this is impossible) to miss the meter by a smidge, the CPU can be sitting in that location and still hit the ball solidly. The fact that the pitch location is completely random when missing the meter only fuels the argument that the CPU can see a team down and "randomly" decide to have my pitch leak down the middle resulting in a hard hit ball. And again, this only fuels the argument that we as users have very little control in the outcomes of the games. And that is very disappointing to the degree that it makes me almost not want to play if I know my skill level has almost no bearing on my game results.

I never said you could train yourself to always miss by a smidge, which you're right would just equate to being able to always just nailing the line perfect. What I am saying is training to always miss a low pitch with overthrow and always miss a high pitch with underthrow to any degree, not just a smidge...This is easily possible.

Meaning if I aim low and away I can ALWAYS miss some degree low on the meter and ALWAYS make sure the ball never trails up. This is very possible and not realistic at all. On a low pitch if you overthrow the meter it should miss up some of the time. Again real pitching is not based on a meter! If you aim low you might miss and throw one up a little! Not every pitcher is going to aim low and either hit their spot or miss low EVERY time, that's nonsense.

Regardless, I went to practice mode with a very average/below average pitcher, Jeremy Guthrie, and threw low fastballs with meter and overthrew them all. EVERY single one of them missed low, as you would want them to...so I don't even see what problem you are having anyways.

Last edited by kooch66; 05-13-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #45
Pro

They deleted my bug report (not closed, deleted) about the Wrigley Field boundary issues in which balls teleport back into the field, CPU fielders try to make plays on obviously foul balls rows deep while running into the walls, and commentary on obvious foul balls that go, "And he couldn't come up with it."

So I'm guessing it's not going to be addressed since someone confirmed it still happens post-patch 2. I would be fine if they closed it and said, "Next year." but deleting it when they tells us to submit bug reports is a little annoying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
They deleted my bug report (not closed, deleted) about the Wrigley Field boundary issues in which balls teleport back into the field, CPU fielders try to make plays on obviously foul balls rows deep while running into the walls, and commentary on obvious foul balls that go, "And he couldn't come up with it."

So I'm guessing it's not going to be addressed since someone confirmed it still happens post-patch 2. I would be fine if they closed it and said, "Next year." but deleting it when they tells us to submit bug reports is a little annoying.
If I were you I'd repost it...I think they may have cleared the tracker for the new patch. There's only a handful of reports there now. You're not getting singled out or anything.

If you don't mind, use this video when you fill it out (if you don't have one of your own):

https://youtu.be/HSrLU801gBI
Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch66
I never said you could train yourself to always miss by a smidge, which you're right would just equate to being able to always just nailing the line perfect. What I am saying is training to always miss a low pitch with overthrow and always miss a high pitch with underthrow to any degree, not just a smidge...This is easily possible.

Meaning if I aim low and away I can ALWAYS miss some degree low on the meter and ALWAYS make sure the ball never trails up. This is very possible and not realistic at all. On a low pitch if you overthrow the meter it should miss up some of the time. Again real pitching is not based on a meter! If you aim low you might miss and throw one up a little! Not every pitcher is going to aim low and either hit their spot or miss low EVERY time, that's nonsense.

Regardless, I went to practice mode with a very average/below average pitcher, Jeremy Guthrie, and threw low fastballs with meter and overthrew them all. EVERY single one of them missed low, as you would want them to...so I don't even see what problem you are having anyways.

That's a wonderful example. So if you do that and make sure no pitches tail up, you'll end up walking every single hitter, once again at least meaning it was your fault that you lost and not the game deciding it was time for you to lose. But then again, realistically speaking of course, who really would do that? Of course if you do decide to do that, the game can see you're doing that and sit on that pitch. Any way you slice it, the user should control where the pitch goes based on where on the meter you hit, not based on where the game randomly decides to place the pitch.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Placebo it's not magically shrinking in game.
no way is it placebo if he's not the only one to bring this up. the strike zone this year is awful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »