Home

With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

This is a discussion on With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #65
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

I can say right off the bat (no pun intended),that I would definitely NOT want the pitching meter to work in the way you are suggesting. ("You" being the creator of this thread, PAD, not the developers above)

One of my biggest issues with the Analog meter is that it works in that way. If I miss to the right, the pitch goes to the right. Miss down, the pitch goes down. It leads to a lot of pitches missing down the middle, because the most common user error by far is to not tilt the stick far enough (or at all). I WISH that analog pitching were more random (with misses, only). It would function far better, and more realistically, in my opinion.

Pitching is not golf. A club is a solid, inflexible object, and, can be rotated and adjusted left or right unhindered. An arm is the opposite of all of those, and a shoulderblade can only move in limited directions, with limited fluidity. A small mis-alignment in your arm-slot or hand-placement, has very unpredictable ramifications. It's not as simple as "I missed to the right so my pitch went to the right" in real life. Maybe, for example I missed to the right which caused my hand to be off-center on the pitch, which caused the pitch to miss way low?

This is a great thread though. I will say that other than the above, I agree with the majority of your concerns. I especially agree that the strike zone is too high, and that error animations in general need a lot of work (and I think I mentioned the latter in Ramone's "top 3" thread).

I think an ideal goal is for error animations to look exactly like the non-error animations (except for... you know... the error part). There is no reason for the drastic and intentional differences in animation, such as with the "Ole" one OP described. The fielder should be approaching the ball the same way he should, and normally does, except simply fail to field the ball successfully.

The fact that I can recognize an error animation before the actual error occurs, is the summary of what I'm getting at here, and the source of much frustration from many of us. I shouldn't be able to.

Last edited by Bobhead; 05-14-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #66
Rookie

cervin29's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

I would also like to throw in the mix my issue with first basemen fielding a ground ball close to first base with a runner on first. The first baseman will field the ball right by the bag and make the throw to 2nd base and will never cover the bag. He will get out of the way to let the pitcher cover the bag when he is already there. This causes either the lame duck throw that arrives way to late, or the ball is thrown to the pitcher before he reaches the bag and the runner wins the race every time.

I have not turned one double play with my RTTS SS when this play occurs nor in a franchise or exhibition game. Both outcomes looks unrealistic and this situation happens quite regularly. The first baseman could easily tag the bag and throw to 2nd on a hard hit for a tag play, or simply cover the bag. Really frustrates me when I am in a 1st and 3rd situation late in the game with less than two outs and the CPU gets an easy run.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #67
Just started!

I think on wild pitches its the stupid "catcher completely misses it" scenario which is way too prevalent.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #68
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26
With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn'...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431748064.087858.jpg

Here's a perfect example of the strike zone shrinking late in the game. 9th inning and the 1st pitch is a ball, the second pitch is a swing and a miss low ball for a strike and now look at the 3rd pitch. The 3rd pitch is a clear strike and gets called a ball. This game is becoming more and more frustrating to play sometimes. I hope this can be addressed in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Artman22; 05-15-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:03 AM   #69
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Attachment 98187

Here's a perfect example of the strike zone shrinking late in the game. 9th inning and the 1st pitch is a ball, the second pitch is a swing and a miss low ball for a strike and now look at the 3rd pitch. The 3rd pitch is a clear strike and gets called a ball. This game is becoming more and more frustrating to play.
It is definitely a bad call by the ump, but this can actually happen to both sides (human or CPU). The point becomes needlessly complicated when some people start insisting that the game does this *conditionally* when one side is down and vice versa, and the devs have been saying that that's exactly what the game does not do.

There is a small chance that a blown call like this happens in *any* pitch. It just happened to occur in an untimely occasion for you this case. That really is it.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #70
Banned

Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Attachment 98187

Here's a perfect example of the strike zone shrinking late in the game. 9th inning and the 1st pitch is a ball, the second pitch is a swing and a miss low ball for a strike and now look at the 3rd pitch. The 3rd pitch is a clear strike and gets called a ball. This game is becoming more and more frustrating to play sometimes. I hope this can be addressed in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a question because context helps:

What kind of strike zone are you using?

The variance zone? (Zone is designed to be constantly changing, and mistakes are designed to occur)

The standard zone? (The zone is consistent, but it can be wrong)

The perfect zone? (As the names says, its perfect)
Old 05-16-2015, 12:59 AM   #71
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I never said "completely random" I stated it's more random than last years miss and our definition of random isn't the users.
Would it be possible for you to give a brief explanation of what your definition of random is?

It would really help me decide how I want to pitch.

I use pulse because I think it is supposed to give me more control over the location of the pitch if my timing is good, but classic is quicker, easier to use, and I like to keep the screen as "clean" as possible.

If the randomness of pulse is the same as the randomness of classic, I would rather use classic. But I can never get a great feel for it and the difference can be hard to differentiate (difference between the randomness, not the actual interfaces).

Anyway, any insider information you have would be awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 AM   #72
Banned

Honestly, I'm going back to analog. All of this randomness makes the game absurdly unrealistic to me. I want control over where the pitch goes and I want my mistakes to dictate where the pitch goes, not the computer dictating when it's time to throw a meatball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »