Home

With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

This is a discussion on With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

Clearly this year's iteration is a vast improvement from last season, what with improved graphics and shadows, outfield ball routes, pitches being easier and more realistic to distinguish, and countless other improvements. However, with everything they've improved, there's still so many gameplay "issues" that haven't been tweaked that really need to be for next year. Please feel free to add to this list or comment on the things I do list because, in my opinion, these things really make the gameplay not as simulation as they'd like to have you believe:

- Bunting - even with the patch, bunting is still way too easy and way too successful. I'm still averaging at least a bunt single with people like Ellsbury and Gardner at least every other attempt and let's face it, bunting for a single 50% of the time is simply not realistic at all.

- Meter Randomness - I love the meter, but the randomness of where the pitch lands is frustrating. I can miss the meter high or low and the location where the pitch goes is completely random. If you miss the meter low, the pitch should go low.

- Pitch Speeds - every pitcher doesn't have a 17-mph difference between their fastball and their changeup. I know they do this intentionally to make the user feel the difference, but it's not realistic at all.

- Ground Balls Hitting the Pitcher - I'd say 50% or more of the ground balls hit up the middle deflect off the pitcher whereas in real life it's probably about 3%. Heck, in real life, most pitchers try to get out of the way to avoid being hit. In this game, they try to get hit knowing they're all made of steel and can knock the ball down without blinking.

- The Mysterious Shrinking Strike Zone - constantly leading to big, late-inning rallies. Maybe I'm imagining this . . . but I really doubt it.

- Olay Grounders - this will be the bane of me, I swear. Runner on first, no outs. Routine grounder towards the hole that almost EVERY first basemen will at least knock down to get one out and probably turn a simple double play on. So why do my corner infielders constantly (yes, constantly as in multiple times per game) olay these grounders into singles? They literally get their glove down, but the absolutely ridiculous animation occurs where the fielder olays the ball, going from an easy DP to a first-to-third single. And it seems to happen at convenient times, but that part may be my imagination or frustration.

- The high strike zone - I watch baseball regularly. Pitches at the letters are almost never called strikes anymore. I understand the strike zone is "supposed" to go from letters to knees, but it doesn't. Not anymore. Let's try updating the strike zone to what it actually is now.

- Wild Pitches - wild pitches occur. Not every game. And rarely on pitches right down the middle.

Last edited by Padgoi; 05-12-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

I agree with pretty much all of what you posted here, definitely could stand some improvement on these things (especially bunting, pitchers getting hit by balls up the middle, and corner infielders just missing balls easily in their range , both Ole grounders and liners that go right past their head where the animation that kicks in causes them to miss).

However, I'm thinking there will be an "Official" thread at some point for this? Not sure if Ramone's "Top 3" thread counts for listing gameplay improvements specifically?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
Clearly this year's iteration is a vast improvement from last season, what with improved graphics and shadows, outfield ball routes, pitches being easier and more realistic to distinguish, and countless other improvements. However, with everything they've improved, there's still so many gameplay "issues" that haven't been tweaked that really need to be for next year. Please feel free to add to this list or comment on the things I do list because, in my opinion, these things really make the gameplay not as simulation as they'd like to have you believe:

- Bunting - even with the patch, bunting is still way too easy and way too successful. I'm still averaging at least a bunt single with people like Ellsbury and Gardner at least every other attempt and let's face it, bunting for a single 50% of the time is simply not realistic at all.

- Meter Randomness - I love the meter, but the randomness of where the pitch lands is frustrating. I can miss the meter high or low and the location where the pitch goes is completely random. If you miss the meter low, the pitch should go low.

- Pitch Speeds - every pitcher doesn't have a 17-mph difference between their fastball and their changeup. I know they do this intentionally to make the user feel the difference, but it's not realistic at all.

- Ground Balls Hitting the Pitcher - I'd say 50% or more of the ground balls hit up the middle deflect off the pitcher whereas in real life it's probably about 3%. Heck, in real life, most pitchers try to get out of the way to avoid being hit. In this game, they try to get hit knowing they're all made of steel and can knock the ball down without blinking.

- The Mysterious Shrinking Strike Zone - constantly leading to big, late-inning rallies. Maybe I'm imagining this . . . but I really doubt it.

- Olay Grounders - this will be the bane of me, I swear. Runner on first, no outs. Routine grounder towards the hole that almost EVERY first basemen will at least knock down to get one out and probably turn a simple double play on. So why do my corner infielders constantly (yes, constantly as in multiple times per game) olay these grounders into singles? They literally get their glove down, but the absolutely ridiculous animation occurs where the fielder olays the ball, going from an easy DP to a first-to-third single. And it seems to happen at convenient times, but that part may be my imagination or frustration.

- The high strike zone - I watch baseball regularly. Pitches at the letters are almost never called strikes anymore. I understand the strike zone is "supposed" to go from letters to knees, but it doesn't. Not anymore. Let's try updating the strike zone to what it actually is now.

- Wild Pitches - wild pitches occur. Not every game. And rarely on pitches right down the middle.
Couldnt say it better myself, I salute you Sir.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Being tuned in the next patch

Quote:
The meter is more random when you miss this year than previous years and more accurate when your accurate this is done by design.

Quote:
Names of the pitchers please?

Quote:
Placebo it's not magically shrinking in game.

Quote:
I'll bring this up with B Ma but without some serious data I doubt he's going to change it.

Quote:
I have no idea what your referring to.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Ramone, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I still have not seen the cpu take an extra step when leading off. I read somewhere in the patch notes that lead off logic was improved yet I see no difference than it was pre patch. Could you elaborate on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #6
Banned

Steven78's Arena

I think on wild pitches its the stupid "catcher completely misses it" scenario which is way too prevalent.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
Banned

With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Being tuned in the next patch
Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Quote:
The meter is more random when you miss this year than previous years and more accurate when your accurate this is done by design.
But this takes control out of the user's hands and simply allows for more questionable occurrences. In other words, having the pitch go anywhere randomly can simply be another way of generating offense by conveniently having the pitch drift down the middle. The location of the pitch should be based on where on the meter I hit, like Links golf used to do. I want to control where my pitch goes based on my skill level, not based on where the game decides the pitch should go.

Quote:
Names of the pitchers please?
Too many to name, dude. Look at some of the other topics on the forum regarding change ups and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about if you don't already. The disparity between fastball and off speed should be 5-10 mph, not 10-20.

Quote:
Placebo it's not magically shrinking in game.
If you say so. I tend to believe my own experiences, but if you say it's not, I'll assume you're not yanking my chain.

Actually, come to think of it, I agree, it's probably not shrinking anymore. Now that the pitch meter is completely random, it allows for conveniently placed pitches to be smacked around or pitches to float out of the strike zone in order to manufacture rallies. And seeing as the meter is impossible to perfectly time every single pitch, once again, this takes control out of the user's hands and allows the game to determine where pitches go, which is why people will always have issues with late-inning comebacks. Taking control out of the user's hands and having pitches go to any random location allows for rallies that the user cannot control unless they can time the meter perfectly every pitch.

Put simply, if I aim low and miss the meter early, the pitch should stray down the middle, allowing for more solid contact. Likewise if I aim low and miss the meter late, the pitch should be in the dirt. And if I aim high or down the middle and miss the meter early, the pitch should go higher than I wanted. At least this way I can blame myself for rallies and walks as opposed to relying on random game pitch placement. Less user control = more reason for users to believe that the game is dictating results.

Quote:
I'll bring this up with B Ma but without some serious data I doubt he's going to change it.
It's not easy for a user to obtain data like this. B Ma can watch the games himself and see what I'm talking about (and I'm sure most people on the forum will agree). In order to call your product a simulation, you must be willing to do the research and not request the client base do so. The strike zone hasn't been called at the letters in a few years now.

Quote:
I have no idea what your referring to.
As another user said after your reply, it's not so much wild pitches as much as asinine catchers allowing Broadway pitches to be passed balls. I'll see if I can get video of this one.

Last edited by Padgoi; 05-13-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:22 AM   #8
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
I think on wild pitches its the stupid "catcher completely misses it" scenario which is way too prevalent.

Are you talking about a passed ball?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »