Home

Precision Input Gameplay Engine for The Show 16....anyone hyped for this?

This is a discussion on Precision Input Gameplay Engine for The Show 16....anyone hyped for this? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #17
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Precision Input Gameplay Engine for The Show 16....anyone hyped for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
It's true that there are some problems with the contact created when the ball was in the center of the PCI. However, the largest area of concern is the inconsistencies that occur when the ball is on the outer portion (or entirely outside) of the PCI...

In real life, because the bat is... well... bat-shaped (as opposed to a round shape like the PCI is), you still hit a line drive even when you miss directly to the right or left of the ball. There is a significant loss of power, but NOT a change in trajectory. You see line drives off the end of the bat all the time. You see line drives off "jammed" bats all the time. The only difference between this type of line drive and a "real one" is that these have a lower exit velocity and thus die quicker.

In The Show, this type of contact almost exclusively resulted in pop-ups, or to a lesser extent, weak grounders that barely move away from home plate.

Difference #2: in real life, if you "barely" hit the ball, that is, the ball is well above or below your bat, the ball often gets tipped foul, either hard towards the screen behind the catcher, or hard towards the ground.

In The Show, this type of contact, again, frequently results in pop-ups or weak grounders at the plate.

Not sure if these issues are included in the scope of "Precision Input", but this is an area I really hope is improved for this year's game.
Precisely the reason I stopped using timing hitting.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
There is no pci for directional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wasn't the pci random in timing because of early or late swing timing? Seems to me I remember read it will cause the pci go up or down.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm still pretty confused as to what this will mean for hitting. Ramon's said earlier in the thread it'd have an effect on timed hitting. Is it going to make hitting easier, or harder?
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 02-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #20
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Maybe not necessarily harder or easier but just more rewarding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youtube
Old 02-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #21
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Can someone explain what the precision input feature is?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
It's true that there are some problems with the contact created when the ball was in the center of the PCI. However, the largest area of concern is the inconsistencies that occur when the ball is on the outer portion (or entirely outside) of the PCI...

In real life, because the bat is... well... bat-shaped (as opposed to a round shape like the PCI is), you can still hit a line drive even when you miss directly to the right or left of the ball. There is a significant loss of power, but NOT a change in trajectory. You see line drives off the end of the bat all the time. You see line drives off "jammed" bats all the time. The only difference between this type of line drive and a "real one" is that these have a lower exit velocity and thus die quicker.

In The Show, this type of contact almost exclusively resulted in pop-ups, or to a lesser extent, weak grounders that barely move away from home plate.

Difference #2: in real life, if you "barely" hit the ball, that is, the ball is well above or below your bat, the ball often gets tipped foul, either hard towards the screen behind the catcher, or hard towards the ground.

In The Show, this type of contact, again, frequently results in pop-ups or weak grounders at the plate.

Not sure if these issues are included in the scope of "Precision Input", but this is an area I really hope is improved for this year's game.
The sheer number of pop-outs in last year's game was unrealistic and appalling due to this. It would be huge if they could rectify this.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #23
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I'm strictly timing and classic pitching. Got to make attributes matter as much as possible!
This touches on the reason why I'm fearful of this change.

It seems to me that over the course of the season your players' batting averages would standardize according to your own skills more so than it does now.

Many of the times where I square up a ball and wind up hitting a popup are with less skilled players. This is how it should be, and is the reason it's unlikely to hit .320 with a poor hitter.

If my skill is more of a factor, then it becomes easier to hit with a poor hitter, but also more difficult to hit with a better hitter, as the wider margin of error will presumably be diminished.

The net effect will be a squishing together of batting averages.

Personally, I don't have a problem with how it works now. Players seem to perform more or less according to their ratings. Increasing the influence of user skill seems a move towards the arcade to me.

As it stands now, the user still has to determine when to swing and with what power, and still has to look for certain pitches and focus on the ball. Seems to be plenty of room for user skill.

As with most other things, I would prefer an option to turn it off, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how it works.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #24
MVP

tnixen's Arena

Will this new Precision Input feature also work with timing mode for batting?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »