Home

How do franchise budgets work this year?

This is a discussion on How do franchise budgets work this year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How do franchise budgets work this year?

I actually really like the budget system this year. Main reason I do is because you have to make smart financial decisions as the year progresses based on your performance as opposed to just waiting to the end of the year. Its an incentive to not tank if you cant reach the play-offs, and keep your team performing as well as it can. It facilitates the sell-off and rebuild model.

Its 2018 and my Dodgers have a world series championship hangover. They are 4th in the division mid-May and my cash flow dipped into the negatives. I had to trade a couple of players on big long term deals to get back in black. Post season chances look pretty grim, so trading in good prospects can only be a good thing. I think Maeda will be gone by the trade deadline cos he's holding my depth back. I have only crabs to fill in holes when the MLB roster gets injured, and its already hurt us this season.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #74
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jars
I actually really like the budget system this year. Main reason I do is because you have to make smart financial decisions as the year progresses based on your performance as opposed to just waiting to the end of the year. Its an incentive to not tank if you cant reach the play-offs, and keep your team performing as well as it can. It facilitates the sell-off and rebuild model.

Its 2018 and my Dodgers have a world series championship hangover. They are 4th in the division mid-May and my cash flow dipped into the negatives. I had to trade a couple of players on big long term deals to get back in black. Post season chances look pretty grim, so trading in good prospects can only be a good thing. I think Maeda will be gone by the trade deadline cos he's holding my depth back. I have only crabs to fill in holes when the MLB roster gets injured, and its already hurt us this season.
That may be the case, but maybe I'm missing something, but I can't tell how the cash flow is added to the budget and what my total budget is.

Right now there is multiple measurements of cash flow, weekly and yearly. In the off-season I can't tell if the budget increases or not. It is really confusing and cumbersome.

If they had cash flow and showed the total budget then added that cash flow to the budget in the off-season I could agree.

So I start with 120mil budget have a positive cash flow of 6 million. In the off-season I would have a 126 million budget.

Right now I don't see that being the case. I don't see exactly what my yearly budget is.

In the past budget was also supposed to be dependent on performance, which never worked correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited by tabarnes19_SDS; 05-05-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: 7
Old 05-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #75
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
That may be the case, but maybe I'm missing something, but I can't tell how the cash flow is added to the budget and what my total budget is.

Right now there is multiple measurements of cash flow, weekly and yearly. In the off-season I can't tell if the budget increases or not. It is really confusing and cumbersome.

If they had cash flow and showed the total budget then added that cash flow to the budget in the off-season I could agree.

So I start with 120mil budget have a positive cash flow of 6 million. In the off-season I would have a 126 million budget.

Right now I don't see that being the case. I don't see exactly what my yearly budget is.

In the past budget was also supposed to be dependent on performance, which never worked correctly.

That's the needlessly confusing part. Salaries for players, coaches and scouts are yearly but my income is weekly. I'd prefer to have both weekly and yearly displayed and something indicating how much I'm making per home game.

Instead of placating the sim community with things like quick manage and critical situations they could have made franchise deeper. Things like field maintenance cost, medical and training facilities cost/benefit. I don't even use sponsorships because the cpu teams don't get them so it is an unfair advantage to the user controlled team which is a ridiculous oversight. Why would they add sponsorships and then not provide them to the cpu teams? I also believe their metadata doesn't come close to capturing everybody who plays franchise because a lot of us play offline.

Someone is steering them in the wrong direction with franchise mode. There is a lot of untapped potential.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
That's the needlessly confusing part. Salaries for players, coaches and scouts are yearly but my income is weekly. I'd prefer to have both weekly and yearly displayed and something indicating how much I'm making per home game.

Instead of placating the sim community with things like quick manage and critical situations they could have made franchise deeper. Things like field maintenance cost, medical and training facilities cost/benefit. I don't even use sponsorships because the cpu teams don't get them so it is an unfair advantage to the user controlled team which is a ridiculous oversight. Why would they add sponsorships and then not provide them to the cpu teams? I also believe their metadata doesn't come close to capturing everybody who plays franchise because a lot of us play offline.

Someone is steering them in the wrong direction with franchise mode. There is a lot of untapped potential.
Actually, salaries for players are also weekly. When you sign a player, it shows the total contract for the year, plus the weekly breakdown (over 26 weeks of the Baseball season)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
I also believe their metadata doesn't come close to capturing everybody who plays franchise because a lot of us play offline.

the info they're getting could be flawed if only for the reason that so much is flawed with anything connected to sonys online servers.
and a lot of times that I play, I'm even disconnected from online.
I think theres been a subtle shift for SCEA, starting back when they became SIE.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19

I dont get whats confusing about it to be honest. You have a max offer amount which if you multiply by 26 will give you your team's bank balance. Stay in the black during the season and your 'owner' will give you a proportionally increased amount to spend at the end of the season. Stay in the red and your owner will give you less to spend than last season. Your weekly cash in/out amount is dependent on the size of your player/coach salaries and other fluid factors like revenue sharing which will fluctuate with team performance.

My dodgers are hovering around the +125k/week at the moment - not a big figure considering its the Dodgers but thats because so much money is tied up in big contracts with players like Kershaw, Jansen and Maeda. This means Ill get a crap all increase to my total budget at the end of the year. If my team is out of the play-off race then Ill make some trades to increase this amount markedly and have room to get a free agent or two for next season.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #79
Rookie

Quote:

Yeah I agree the sponsorships and being able to buy money for the bank with stubs is a complete crock of ****. And the missions too.

Quick manage I love.

Ideally Id love to see a franchise simulation with all the detail of OOTP but the ease of use of mlb the show 17
Old 05-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #80
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
Actually, salaries for players are also weekly. When you sign a player, it shows the total contract for the year, plus the weekly breakdown (over 26 weeks of the Baseball season)
On both manage roster and player card it lists annual.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »