Home

Prospect Progression

This is a discussion on Prospect Progression within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #49
Rookie

Cdub28's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Prospect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega0862
I just drafted a LF and this kid is an A potential with an overall of 68 already and he's only 18! I have him batting 3rd on my AAA squad, hopefully he progresses well.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

So, this is weird. I think I just drafted the same player tonight. What's his name? I will have to go back and check this later...
Old 04-17-2017, 02:55 AM   #50
Rookie

Cdub28's Arena

Question, will pitchers develop new pitches on their own in the minors?
Old 04-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #51
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub28
Question, will pitchers develop new pitches on their own in the minors?
Unless it has been changed this year, they will not.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #52
Banned

I have been doing extensive testing with multiple franchises and multiple seasons since the game has come out. Basically just trying to figure out the nuances of the franchise mode progression since it feel so different this year.

After playing multiple seasons I am 100% convinced progression is random and not performance based. I have seen to many guys with decent seasons declining in overall and potential while I have also seen too many guys having awful seasons seeing really good gains. Here is an example using the phillies two months in to season one:

Mikael Franco (80 overall, 85 potential starting)
Hitting .286 leading the league in doubles, 6 home runs, 28 RBI's, .348 OBP.
This is a decent season in most respects but for some reason he has been declining in overall progressively and has taken a -2 potential hit

Tommy Joseph (72 overall, 88 potential to start)
Hitting .219, 2 home tunes, 12 RBI's, .279 OBP. I even send him down to the minors for a week because he was batting .184.
Currently improving in potential +1 and improving in power even bough I am not training in that category, and thus far only having 2 home runs in two months of play.

I'm sorry but this makes absolutely no sense. It almost feels like they just do a random lottery drawing every season to determine who will improve. Don't even get me started on training which completely makes no difference this year. Train in power and decline, but gain +2 in left contact. Train in contact and decline 2 and 3 points in both handedness but improve discipline but 2 points. If training is not going to be a factor just take it out of the game.

I was always against performances based progression for this reason. There is no way to know how he games progression engine views statistics and determines which ones lead to increases in progression. If the devs maybe came out and explained how the progression actually works this year I don't think I would feel so weird about this year.

I'm honestly not even frustrated with this years progression, I think I just feel more confused then anything lol.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #53
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

What if progression is based more on the "hidden" numbers rather than actual stats? Things such as solid contact%, balls taken%, stuff like that. Not saying it is the right way to base progression but just a random thought.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3no_11
What if progression is based more on the "hidden" numbers rather than actual stats? Things such as solid contact%, balls taken%, stuff like that. Not saying it is the right way to base progression but just a random thought.
The most obvious predictor of progression for players in the Show is righty/lefty splits. If you can hit a few home runs and hit for decent average against lefties using either Mazara or Schwarber, they blow up (given that they're also raking vs. righties).

It would be interesting to see after a year long sim how K/BB affect Vision and Discipline.

Don't know how errors affect fielding attributes or how SB affect affect baserunning/speed.

Or the Devs can just tell us...
Old 04-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #55
MVP

underdog13's Arena

How can progression not be affected by performance when potential can be change based on performance?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
The most obvious predictor of progression for players in the Show is righty/lefty splits. If you can hit a few home runs and hit for decent average against lefties using either Mazara or Schwarber, they blow up (given that they're also raking vs. righties).

It would be interesting to see after a year long sim how K/BB affect Vision and Discipline.

Don't know how errors affect fielding attributes or how SB affect affect baserunning/speed.

Or the Devs can just tell us...
I think you may be right, but that is the inherent problem though. That is simply not the way to do progression. I personally don't have time to play every minor league game plus my MLB games so I am heavily reliant on simulating to develop my prospects. Unfortunately some top prospects will just never improve because their stats are simply not good enough to generate the level of production required to progress. You should see Jorge Alfaro. 90 potential but has been toiling away in the minors because he can't hit a lick to begin with. His hitting stats are all in the 40's and I even tried moving him to double a but within a few years the pitchers get really good at that level to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »