Home

Prospect Progression

This is a discussion on Prospect Progression within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Prospect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
How can progression not be affected by performance when potential can be change based on performance?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Underdog. The problem is the potential increases have nothing to do with production and seem to be random. I have had players having horrendous seasons improve in potential while players having solid years take a potential hit. Until the developers pop up and announce what the factors are that cause these fluctuations we are just assessing players blind.

Second point why even have training in the game. It seems to have zero effect. I would say it's pretty much 50/50 that your player actually approves in the attributes they are assigned training in. And never mind training with the hitting coach because I have noticed if you train vision/discipline/ clutch you take the biggest hits to your contact and power. How does training with a hitting coach negatively effect your hitting stats?!?! It makes no sense. I could see it negatively impacting fielding/baserunning since you are neglecting these areas but a hitting coach negatively effecting your hitting? It's very confusing. At least last year players and low rated prospects would actually improve in assigned categories unless they were 29 or older in most cases

Last edited by Nolove626; 04-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #58
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove626
Underdog. The problem is the potential increases have nothing to do with production and seem to be random. I have had players having horrendous seasons improve in potential while players having solid years take a potential hit. Until the developers pop up and announce what the factors are that cause these fluctuations we are just assessing players blind
In previous years I've only had potential​ changes that made sense based on continued great/poor production. Maybe this year it isn't quite the same?

Old 04-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
In previous years I've only had potential​ changes that made sense based on continued great/poor production. Maybe this year it isn't quite the same?

Yeah it was that way last year. Generally you would see increase/decreases by going on prolonged hot or cold streaks. You would even get an email telling you they improved. It felt organic and realistic this way. This year I have yet to get a potential increase/decrease email and the only way to know is to go to the player card and see the red or green arrow next to their potential grade. Nine times out of ten they are not on a cold or hot streak from what I can tell
Old 04-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #60
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove626
Yeah it was that way last year. Generally you would see increase/decreases by going on prolonged hot or cold streaks. You would even get an email telling you they improved. It felt organic and realistic this way. This year I have yet to get a potential increase/decrease email and the only way to know is to go to the player card and see the red or green arrow next to their potential grade. Nine times out of ten they are not on a cold or hot streak from what I can tell
Well, players' progress/regress on the 2nd of every month, so I just do a roster check on that date when sim testing. And I'd call potential progression this year progress based with some elements of randomness. I say this because Diaz, the young closer, shoots up to an A potential every time if he has a very low ERA and high SO, and I'm talking about first or second month. But I've seen the down arrow on Kris Bryant and some others where it really doesn't mean much because it's from a 96 to a 95 or something similar.

But again, agreed: dev clarification would be nice. And those emails -- I miss them too. Why the hell did they get rid of them?! They were a nice touch of immersion.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
I have none of those in mind because to me that's so far down the priority list of Franchise it doesn't even register. Injuries happen: give me a timeframe and perhaps the option to play him hurt for increased risk of injury (like 2K). (Coincidentally, I think the Durability rating is garbage -- give players 2 separate ones, Conditioning and Injury Risk.)

I think you're spraying indiscriminately at this point. If you really want to help SDS make Franchise better for next year, focus on the true core elements of any multi-year mode: good prospects with realistic ages, attribute distributions and development curves; year-round scouting and possibly a more robust scouting system; in-season contract extensions; and more financial things to fiddle with. If SDS added even two of those next year I'd be over the moon. BASICS, BillPeener -- RPG stuff later.

All respect.
Couldn't agree more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #62
MVP

SmooveMove's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Well, players' progress/regress on the 2nd of every month, so I just do a roster check on that date when sim testing. And I'd call potential progression this year progress based with some elements of randomness. I say this because Diaz, the young closer, shoots up to an A potential every time if he has a very low ERA and high SO, and I'm talking about first or second month. But I've seen the down arrow on Kris Bryant and some others where it really doesn't mean much because it's from a 96 to a 95 or something similar.

But again, agreed: dev clarification would be nice. And those emails -- I miss them too. Why the hell did they get rid of them?! They were a nice touch of immersion.

The emails are there. I just got them a few days ago.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 PM   #63
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

editable progression/regression curves IS at the top of my wishlist.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #64
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

OVR: 16

How often do you assess your minor league player performances? Every 2 weeks, every month etc.

Obviously you can't do it too often, but don't want to risk waiting too long causing struggling players to lose potential and progression etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »