Home

My Final Take on MLB The Show 17 - from a Critical Standpoint

This is a discussion on My Final Take on MLB The Show 17 - from a Critical Standpoint within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: My Final Take on MLB The Show 17 - from a Critical Standpoint

I agree with some of the OP's points and disagree with other. I will say MLB 16 and MLB 17 are the most fun I've had with a baseball video game ever.

Off the field I would love to improvements to franchise mode engine. On the field I'm hoping that next year both user and CPU defense gets further refinement to make it even more realistic (intelligence of animations/branches so much better this year!0Bbut the fact almost any average fielder can make all-star caliber plays on defense? Not so much.)

But I don't agree about a "true batting cursor" for hitting. That just seems way too arcade for me. And the results I see using zone hitting are fairly true to real life, so I'm happy with the way it is. I use either Analog or Classic pitching, depending on what mood I'm in, so the implementation of the classic pitching meter doesn't really impact me.

But to Padgoi - I do think you did a good job of outlining solutions/ideas and not just pointing out things you don't like.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
3. Hitting - It's time to implement cursor hitting and here's how. In my opinion, ratings should be put into action based on the SIZE of the cursor. So if you're hitting with Mike Trout, the cursor should be larger whereas if you're hitting with Yu Darvish, the cursor should be microscopic.

This ^^^^.

That is exactly how PYS is and it works great. I just can't get into the show mainly because of their hitting mechanic. Far to much is left to chance.
That was exactly my point. The game controls way too many outcomes and that isn't how it should be. I understand it's almost impossible to implement real physics in a video game, but leaving so much up to the game is honestly ridiculous. By leaving so many outcomes up to the game, you're literally giving the game full control of dictating scores, standings, stats, etc. I've had games where I'm getting shut out only to hit a home run on a pitch that I didn't square up at all. Why? Because the game saw I was getting shut out and dictated a specific result, with user input having little to no effect. Why play a game where the user input is oftentimes ignored? I have never played PYS, but if their hitting mechanic is true cursor based and physics based, then they're MILES ahead of the show because they aren't leaving outcomes in the hands of the game. The reason why this COMEBACK AI discussion even EXISTS is because SO MANY OUTCOMES are dictated by the game and not user input. If you put the results back into the hands of the user, this debate would cease to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientDiety
A few issues aside, I disagree. If the show is not "Great" nothing in the genre is, imo the show is still by far the best sports sim out there.
I never said it wasn't. As someone points out later on, I specified this was from a critical standpoint. I'm not here to stroke the developers egos. These are ideas to BETTER a game that has many noticeable issues that are ignored by so many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientDiety
Hard to take anyone who says that seriously. It's as close a video game has ever gotten to mimicking the real sport.
Once again, you're simply failing to see the entire concept of the thread. Hard to take a response seriously when they miss the entire point of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP 17
Whoa! This guy needs to get out a bit. It’s a video game, and the best one out. While I do agree there could be some changes to the pitching meter, the game is smooth, extremely detailed and addictive. If you are looking for something closer, get out on the field yourself. The guys at SCEA did a tremendous job this year and the game is light years ahead of all EA games and a step above NBA and PES.
For the third time, you're missing the entire point of the thread. This isn't a thread to stroke anyone's ego. It's to point out glaring flaws that exist and ways to improve them.

Furthermore, if you wanna discuss "getting out more," I'm probably not the person to do it with. The only time I actually have to play is at 2 AM after I've gone to work, put my daughter to bed and gone to the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Guys it does say in the title that he is talking from a very critical standpoint. While I disagree on some of his points. His point was to be critical not just say it's the best game ever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
THANK YOU! Clearly this point has been lost on the masses who read this thread.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

This game was terrible this year. Real problem when it's better to be late on an inside fastball than right on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

The OP, makes alot of good points. Outside of not totally agreeing with his views on umping, pretty much everything else is spot on. Reason players and managers get tossed a lot of times for arguing with ball and strikes is do to inconsistent calls by them. Yes your top umps are much more consistent, thruout games, but there isnt a lot of them. Maybe the devs need to add a few more umps, to replicate your best ones, from the Angel Hernendez umps of baseball,lol.

MLB17, was solid as it is each yr, but the makers of this game are going to have to step it up for 18, for me anyway. If they cant improve franchise mode, and the way the AI manages the games, then imo it really isnt worth buying, as I can just stick with 17, and go buy OOTP baseball, which does do a great job of replicating MLB. I know no console game baseball game can be what OOTP is, but they can do more than they are right now.

The Show has always been solid each yr, and there is something about that, that I appreciate, knowing the game will be solid each yr. But its time, to see some major upgrades to the Franchise mode. I think they tried to improve the AI this yr, so I see even more improvement for 18. Sometimes, on that kind of stuff, it take a couple 3 yrs, sometime to fully improve AI coding. Or this is what I have seen in the NBA2k series, so its likley the same with MLB as well.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 11-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #13
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
This game was terrible this year. Real problem when it's better to be late on an inside fastball than right on.
This seems like a hitting interface thing. Using directional, If I'm late on an inside fastball I'm getting a foul, a weak blooper, a shattered bat or a swing and a miss. Only the best of the best can muscle it for a hit, and that's rare even for them.

I'd also take the swing feedback with a grain of salt. It's always been a bit wrong. I interpret it as your hitting coach's feedback on your swing, not a flawless computer breakdown.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

I've mentioned it before, but timing is just completely off in the franchise.
It ties to what TheWarmWind said also, where the feedback isn't exactly helpful and a bit misleading.

Perfectly timed swings (as per feedback) don't feel perfectly timed to my eye balls.
There is a disconnect between when the game thinks I am perfect, late, early, etc... and when I think I am.

But on top of that, I feel like being perfect (as per feedback) is not really the best swing for that situation.
Sometimes being early or late is the right swing for that situation....but that goes against the feedback the game gives you, It is also hard to make those type of adjustments in a video game as the player.

So in short....

What I see, how it "feels", and my timing do not lineup with the game's feedback + result.
It is complex but I hope the devs understand can address this.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 11-12-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #15
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

"Too many times I feel like I've totally squared up a ball only to hit a lazy can of corn. Then when I check the PCI, it's right spot on and the timing says good. So why is my contact so poor? "

I disagree about your analysis of hitting and this seems to be a very common belief that it is all just random but it isn't. The PCI represents where the sweet spot crosses the plate not where the bat makes contact with the ball. There a few things you need to consider. The angle of the ball coming towards the plate, swing influence)R2 + Up, down, pull, or push) which can be used with zone. (not talking about directional) and your timing.

The PCI does NOT need to be squared up with the ball. If you want to pull an inside pitch on a Righty vs righty(high inside) try using swing influence to pull the ball and then placing the pci up and middle but slightly below the ball. the batter's swing path will cross the middle of the plate but eventually will reach to the inside of the plate BUT out in front of the hitter and plate which will cause him to pull the ball! I play legend online and can pull fastballs with pitchers. If you truly knew the nuances of baseball you will figure it out. Anyone who claims to know the game doesn't know baseball. you don't know ****!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #16
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

SDS do not fix hitting but give the user the ability to move the pci sweet spot outside the zone a bit, perhaps a ball's length...

BTW guys if you get your pci on a high inside fastball right on the ball it means your batter isn't getting the ball while it's out in FRONT of him but while the bat is still over the plate which will cause him to drive it opposite field or at best up the middle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »