Home

Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18

This is a discussion on Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #25
Rookie

CSUFresnoClassof2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18

[quote=Chai2112;2049310954]
I've read people talking about how fielding is so much better. I always thought the fielding in 2017 was great. How is it better in 2018?

[\QUOTE]

I’ve seen a lot of people complaining about the fielding. Most of the errors I’ve seen have been with players with low fielding ratings & people just taking bad angles on ground balls. I’m pretty sure that SDS said in one their streams that fielding would be a bigger deal this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #26
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Hitting
Pitching
Fielding
Presentation
Commentary
Ball Physics
Weather

Are all substantially better in ‘18.

As someone who played 17 till March 22nd 2018......I endorse this post.

18 is the pinnacle of the series. I am simply blown away how great the game plays this year. And the presentation upgrades are beautiful. Just fantastic. I played an overcast night game in Fenway last night.....just stunning.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #27
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
As someone who played 17 till March 22nd 2018......I endorse this post.

18 is the pinnacle of the series. I am simply blown away how great the game plays this year. And the presentation upgrades are beautiful. Just fantastic. I played an overcast night game in Fenway last night.....just stunning.
You're definitely making me want to take the plunge. Presentation has always been lacking for me. When they added the two city scenes in 2017, it was great, but quickly grew repetitive. And I always wished they would give us the ability to look all around the stadium/sky by pushing L3 as a batter, instead of being limited to just viewing from 3rd base to 1st base. I know that's not in, but I'm hoping the other stadium scenes are a welcome addition.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #28
Rookie

I rented 18 over the weekend to get a first hand feel of the game because I wasn't seeing much of a difference from all the videos I've been watching.

The game is improved in all areas. The best and most notable improvement is:

Hitting - Swings look much more natural. You can see the improved ball physics as the ball comes off the bat. Especially on line drives back up the middle.

Partly cloudy day games in HDR are much more realistic looking.

Other improvements are so subtle that it doesn't feel worth $60 after playing so much of last year's game.

The presentation aspect is overhyped by alot. Yes there are some new cutscenes and some replays finally play at normal speed. But those cutscenes will get old fast like cutscenes in sports games always do. Plus to even enjoy them you have to just sit there and wait instead of actually playing. As time passes, more and more people will just skip them anyway.

RTTS is so bad this year that I don't even want to play it anymore. You don't have the same control of developing your player like you used to

Franchise is just a menu overhaul. That's pretty much it. It's clear this year's game was more of a DD update.

I want to buy the game eventually because it is a well put together game and I enjoy playing the latest and best baseball simulation available. But after a few days with it, I can't justify spending more than $40 on it.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 3

Areas where I see differences from 17 to 18.
Fielding, hitting, pitch speeds, pci, graphics (lighting/stadiums, etc)

I think 17 was a solid game. The biggest issue I saw with 17 was the hitting in terms of opposite field power/contact, especially online. I think they somewhat fixed that issue in 18, but they lowered the pitch speeds online causing people to turn on fastballs now. I personally think the pitching online has taken a big drop. There is way to much contact now, fouling off pitches in dirt, way outside zone, etc. The art of being able to pitch corners and high and have swings and misses online are lower than 17. Now, it could be different for some, but I am certainly seeing lower K numbers with good pitchers (gold) in DD than anything. Against the CPU, the game plays nicely in 18 with better graphics, and if you play with the dynamic difficulty, it will get to a nice setting for each specific player gameplay wise.

Additionally, the pci feedback/placement/movement needs to be explained. I am seeing a lot of twitter feeds/video links showing PCI movement and location differently than when the swing was taken (under or above ball) causing for weak contact. Now I think it has to do with swing timing (early/late) and that adds some of the extra movement, but that is just me guessing.

Fielding - it is way better IMO, but, there are still some routine plays and situations that fielders are taking way too much time to make a throw.

Pitching animations-love that they are doing more in this area and making pitchers look a lot more lifelike. In 17, all pitching arms at delivery looked stiff and similar. Immediate upgrade with the new pitching motions/delivery/release points.

I agree with the above posts about presentation! I am having a blast with 18 and I think it overall plays very well. Disappointing they took season mode off, but, it is what it is.
PUBG
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2019/20
COD Warzone
TheHunter Call of the Wild
Cricket 19
Old 04-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #30
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_centa_fielda

The presentation aspect is overhyped by alot. Yes there are some new cutscenes and some replays finally play at normal speed. But those cutscenes will get old fast like cutscenes in sports games always do. Plus to even enjoy them you have to just sit there and wait instead of actually playing. As time passes, more and more people will just skip them anyway.
Man, big disagreement here. You need more than just a few games. I've been (as well as many) clamoring for this and I sit and enjoy it immensely. Why else would we want this in the game. Do I occasionally hit X, sure, but as a lover of the game I watch the cut scenes. I'm in no rush most of the time. Now, if somebody wants fast play, fine, but to say this is over hyped? We really disagree with this especially if your reasoning is you want to "actually play". This lack of presentation is what made the game SO stale for the last few years.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
Man, big disagreement here. You need more than just a few games. I've been (as well as many) clamoring for this and I sit and enjoy it immensely. Why else would we want this in the game. Do I occasionally hit X, sure, but as a lover of the game I watch the cut scenes. I'm in no rush most of the time. Now, if somebody wants fast play, fine, but to say this is over hyped? We really disagree with this especially if your reasoning is you want to "actually play". This lack of presentation is what made the game SO stale for the last few years.
Interesting. I always played 17 on fast play with quick counts because I just didn't have an hour to devote to each game. Are you saying we would need to play on full broadcast to see all the new cut scenes? If so, are they easy and quick to skip by?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #32
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
Interesting. I always played 17 on fast play with quick counts because I just didn't have an hour to devote to each game. Are you saying we would need to play on full broadcast to see all the new cut scenes? If so, are they easy and quick to skip by?

Yes just press x to skip

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »