Home

Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18

This is a discussion on Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #33
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
Interesting. I always played 17 on fast play with quick counts because I just didn't have an hour to devote to each game. Are you saying we would need to play on full broadcast to see all the new cut scenes? If so, are they easy and quick to skip by?
Yes, and, like you, love rhe quick counts.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #34
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Let's put it this way. '18 got me addicted to this game/series again (the way '06-'09 did), where I played '14 sparsely, never got '15, played '16 sparsely, never got '17, but this one man, my goodness!

I feel just as into it, like I did when '08/'09 started the whole evolution of the series. I cannot go a day without playing at least 1 game now, and I have yet to dive into the new revamped RTTS (my favorite mode)!

It is the best looking and playing version of the game (from top to bottom) they have ever done, by far! Had a friend over, she walked by my TV heading into the kitchen, and she goes, "That is the game? I thought you were watching an actual broadcast on TV at first!"

#NothingGetsYouCloser

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 04-09-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #35
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdot404

Additionally, the pci feedback/placement/movement needs to be explained. I am seeing a lot of twitter feeds/video links showing PCI movement and location differently than when the swing was taken (under or above ball) causing for weak contact. Now I think it has to do with swing timing (early/late) and that adds some of the extra movement, but that is just me guessing.
Yeah that's exactly how it works. Been like that for a while.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #36
Banned

18 has better animations on swings, but I can't stand the added on base celebrations and the home run cam. That idiotic green rainbow following the ball on some replays. Very arcadey. It's still way too buggy as well. Not much else is different. Ball off the bat was better in 17. Most of the time you knew when you hit one out, on 18 , the ball floats a lot longer. Crowd reactions, IMO, are awful. There is a delay to it, and most of the time crowd cheers just as hard for the away team. Oh boy , the outfielder errors. Don't even know where to start with that one. Convoluted "stance creator". I only play Exhibition vs cpu

Last edited by Bochte23; 04-09-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #37
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Well I see lots of hyperbolic opinions that range from "This is the greatest baseball game ever made" (it's not) to "This is literally '17 with Judge on the Cover" (it's not). As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

My 2 cents? It's a definite upgrade, but there are some lingering issues. It isn't the widest gap between releases, but it isn't the smallest either.

-Certain animations that should have been purged years ago persist (the really soft liner to a guy's left that floats for at least 2 seconds and he never reacts to name one)

-Default timing windows funnel everything toward opposite/center field, but not as bad as last year.

+Batting is smoother and there are more foul tips/balls fouled back instead of a flare party like last year.

+Ball physics seem very good. Last year they had trouble with the wind and with spin so they nerfed it, and it took away the boomerang line drive. This year the ball doesn't always go straight into the gap (in fact it seldom does).

~Crowd is better and not better. They are deafening during kinda pedestrian situations and they still don't always erupt when an inning ends on a K (TV broadcast cuts in) BUT they are more lively and they react well a lot of the time. Still haven't seen a lot of low sellers yet but generally play DD until some pitch edit rosters come out for Franchise.

+Ball getting away from the catcher is fixed.

-Some fielding animations still suck.

+Better tagging (real quick at second base)

++There is occasion to dive now. Last year I don't think I dove on a play one time because I didn't have to, but this year I've already made several diving plays that mattered.

+DD has virtually everything available through offline play. If you're not an online player like me but like to play DD and collect every once in a while, all of the programs are achievable offline.

Overall, the smoother hitting, better tagging, catcher fixes, and way better ball physics make it a good buy for me.

Still waiting for gesture pitching and individual position ratings, but alas, I'll make do.

- Rick Wise
Old 04-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bochte23
18 has better animations on swings, but I can't stand the added on base celebrations and the home run cam. That idiotic green rainbow following the ball on some replays. Very arcadey. It's still way too buggy as well. Not much else is different. Ball off the bat was better in 17. Most of the time you knew when you hit one out, on 18 , the ball floats a lot longer. Crowd reactions, IMO, are awful. There is a delay to it, and most of the time crowd cheers just as hard for the away team. Oh boy , the outfielder errors. Don't even know where to start with that one. Convoluted "stance creator". I only play Exhibition vs cpu

Is there anyway you can turn off the home run camera?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #39
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisP41174
Is there anyway you can turn off the home run camera?
Unfortunately there is not.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 04-10-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: missing words
Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Unfortunately there is not.