Home

Monitor vs TV

This is a discussion on Monitor vs TV within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #17
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Monitor vs TV

I’m really thinking about getting that Gigabyte M32U monitor. However, a friend of mine, who I value his opinion on timings like this, told me I should consider getting a 42” OLED and just using that as my monitor. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 04-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

What is your setup? How far from the screen will you sit?

Like was already said. Monitors are typically better with regards to pixel density, because the average monitor is smaller than the average TV since you're typically closer to the monitor, and the input lag on a monitor is second to none.

If you're looking to chill out on the couch feet from the screen, then the 42 inch TV is probably a fine choice. If you're going to be close to the screen, e.g. sitting at a computer desk 18 inches from the screen, I don't think going with a 42 inch TV is the right move.

I think the main questions are where will you be sitting relative to the screen, and do you care about input lag. Picture quality should be lower on the list because you can get plenty of monitors that look as good as great looking TVs and vice versa.

― Plato
Old 04-04-2022, 06:51 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Ah, yes. I forgot that we can’t do 1440 on PS5. I guess I’ll just have to get a 4K monitor. I want one anyway. Any recommendations?

I just looked some up. Thoughts on this one? It’s actually cheaper than I expected.Attachment 199334

That's actually the monitor I play on. I don't have any complaints with it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-04-2022, 06:58 PM   #20
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I’m really thinking about getting that Gigabyte M32U monitor. However, a friend of mine, who I value his opinion on timings like this, told me I should consider getting a 42” OLED and just using that as my monitor. Thoughts?

I'm sure you can find something now that will fit what you want whether it's a TV or a monitor. But if you don't mind waiting Samsung has a new panel that they call Quantum Dot OLED (Also heard sony is making one but IDK if they just use Samsung panels or make their own). I only know of one monitor with it right now and it's an expensive as hell Alienware ultra-wide. But I would assume it won't be long before some normal 4k versions come out for monitors and TVs.

Here is an LTT review of the Alienware. It really seems like the best of everything. Really depends how long it takes for others to come out and how much they will cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65SvTs_b3RE
Old 04-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

An OLED TV used to play games on is a fine choice, but you have to keep in mind about the major drawback in that they are very acceptable to permanent burn in / image retention. If you can keep that in check, they make a fine choice. Based on reviews from trusted sources, the M32Q is a fine choice as well. One last thing is if you were to happen and use a 42" sitting in close proximity at a computer desk, it'll be fine. I have triple 40's as I'm into sim racing and love them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2022, 08:31 PM   #22
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
An OLED TV used to play games on is a fine choice, but you have to keep in mind about the major drawback in that they are very acceptable to permanent burn in / image retention. If you can keep that in check, they make a fine choice. Based on reviews from trusted sources, the M32Q is a fine choice as well. One last thing is if you were to happen and use a 42" sitting in close proximity at a computer desk, it'll be fine. I have triple 40's as I'm into sim racing and love them.

The burn-in is undoubtedly a concern for me. Especially with me playing The Show on it with score overlays on there a long time. I remember I burnt in guitar hero on a projection TV back in the day. But I’ve also read that burn-ins on OLED’a are very rare and actually only happen when you leave things on the screen for 9-10 hours every day.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 04-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #23
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

LG C1! You won’t regret it!!!
Old 04-04-2022, 09:40 PM   #24
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Burn-in should no longer be a concern in modern OLED TV's.

There are so many safeguards built in. Pixel refresh every time you turn the TV off. And I do recommend keeping it off when not in use. The tech is just better now. There have been tests you can watch on YouTube where they will leave the TV on with something permanently on the screen, such as a station logo, or a news/sports ticker for months on end and there is no burn in.

Basically what I'm saying is don't let the fear of burn in stop you from getting an OLED. The benefits far outweigh the risks. And the 55" C1 is like $1,100 right now which is an absolute steal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »