Home

UFC 101: Declaration - August 8th in Philadelphia

This is a discussion on UFC 101: Declaration - August 8th in Philadelphia within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #33
Rookie

Bona Fide's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: UFC 101: Declaration - August 8th in Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan49er
Huzzah!

Timmay, if you cant give me a logical, well thought out argument for Penn being overrated that you back up with facts, then thats all well and good, but as of now, you're just hating on Penn without a logical basis for it.

Now, I will grant you this, when Penn isnt motivated or focused, he loses fights he shouldnt. But a motivated, focused, in shape BJ Penn is a dangerous opponent for anyone in either 155 or 170 outside of GSP, and he's proven that. His only losses at 170 were to GSP twice and Hughes when Hughes was WW champ.

Florian's problems come when he gets into a disadvantageous position on the ground. Diego used superior size and strength to TKO him, Sherk used superior size, strength, and wrestling to maul Florian. We've already seen what happens when Sherk tried to take down and outwrestle BJ Penn...he got outclassed, Florian had the majority of a 25:00 minute decision to do something on he ground and all he accomplished was cutting Sherk open and then get mauled for the next 4 rounds.

Now, I'm not saying Florian isnt a great fighter, or that he doesnt have a chance, but if Penn comes prepared, Florian's only shot is to utilize the clinch and wear BJ out. Neither fighter has ever been subbed, and both have good bjj, but Penn is a former world champ, and a stronger wrestler.
That's bull****. Sherk got his first takedown stuffed and then thought he was a boxer for the rest of the fight. I still think he has the ability to beat BJ if he stops trying to be exciting and fights smart. Agree with you on the rest though.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 AM   #34
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
KenFlo by TKO (due to cut) and the only other pick I'll make is Grove wins in a great fight.

Forrest had "no chance" against Shogun either and we know how that turned out so I won't pick that one. He's not a guy that's gonna be beaten before he even gets in there and flop on his *** the whole fight.
Penn rarely gets cut...no?

I hope he loses though...

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #35

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
If you decide to speak like an adult and drop the idiotic mancrush BS, then maybe I'll respond to you. Until then, I'm going to consider you nothing but a troll.
So, under your name where it says "Florian \m/" that doesnt mean man crush? If it doesnt then my mistake, I assumed it did.

EDIT- You did just reply to me by the way. I also noticed that you have yet to bring any facts to the table other then you not liking Penn but you have done a fantastic job of avoiding it by dodging it right and left.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 12

"Timmay" is living up to his name lol
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith121212
"Timmay" is living up to his name lol
Why? Because someone is acting like a child and I won't address them until they approach it like an adult?

That'll be the last reply to that whole thing, he's on ignore (which I've never done on any forum ever), because he's not worth speaking to if he's going to approach the conversation like that.

If he wants to ask the question without speaking down to me - I'll be glad to answer him.

Now we can move on and continue with the regular conversation, thanks.

Last edited by MC Fatigue; 07-16-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

Someone got their feelings hurt. You still havent explained why BJ Penn is "overrated". I can't stand the man, but overrated? FYI, there's a difference between being overrated and not being motivated.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #39

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
Someone got their feelings hurt. You still havent explained why BJ Penn is "overrated". I can't stand the man, but overrated? FYI, there's a difference between being overrated and not being motivated.
It amazes me, he has never once answered the question but has come up with multiple reasons why he cant or wont answer it. I dont even know what to say anymore, clearly he doesnt have anything to say factually speaking in regards to his claims about Penn. I asked a question as to whether or not the script beneath his user name meant what I thought it did and he didnt even deny that but then wonders where I come up with the man crush comment, unbelievable.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
I didn't get my feelings hurt at all - I simply will not answer a question if someone won't ask like an adult. Clearly he cannot ask like one since I've asked him to twice, and he has yet to do so and continues to come back with BS replies.

I'll answer you, though, since you said I've yet to explain myself.

As for the overrated; I know the difference between overrated and unmotivated. What it seems like here too is that people seem to think I said he's not skilled; and I never said that. The best fighters in the world can be overrated. It doesn't mean they're not great, it just means people have it in their head that they're better than they are. He was put in the cage with a man he didn't belong in there with. He dropped to 155, beat up a Pulver who was on the decline already...

Then he puts on a great performance against Sherk for sure, but the guy for some reason went completely one dimensional (and for some reason has it in his head that's some golden glove boxer)... Then chokes out Stevenson.

Definitely some good opponents for sure - but a guy who came in on the decline (Pulver), and one with a poor gameplan (Sherk). Stevenson is a great opponent, he was just completely outclassed.

Then suddenly with 3 LW victories under his belt, he somehow is right up GSP's level? People actually thought he belonged in the ring with the guy?

The guy is phenominal, but he's nowhere near GSP's level - and putting him in there with him puts him in the overrated category... As if there weren't already a few more Welterweights who deserved their shot before Penn did...

I've never seen anyone defend their title once, and then suddenly get a shot at another man's title... that's overrated to me - people seemed to think he deserved a shot at something he did not. He was not the #1 WW contender; and I know he could blow through quite a few WW's, but there are several guys stills above him in that division that he should have fought first to earn his shot.

He's an amazing fighter, and I'll tell you right now that I don't think Florian is going to win (I think Sanchez will probably get a shot next, and he'll do the job). So for the man-crush, yeah - I LOVE Florian. He's my absolute favorite fighter - and I think he's got a chance, but I don't actually think he's going to win. But regardless of that - if someone wants to ask me a question, they can do so without talking down to me or acting like I'm an idiot (which is why I will not directly answer the guy... If he wants to talk, talk like an adult and I'll talk back).

However, I think people have it in their head that Penn is better than he really is; and I think Sanchez is going to come in and show that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »