Home

Stock/Malone

This is a discussion on Stock/Malone within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Stock/Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blraob
Looking forward to trying this stockton and malone combo. Stockton looks like he could be fun
Honestly it looks pretty boring to me.... PNR PNR PNR... albeit they were the best all time at it, just not my cup o' tea
Old 12-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Rookie

Sumoparis's Arena

I do love the Mailman / Stock Duo, favorite players from my childhood. Nevertheless, I do love to run different plays than P'n'R
PFs : The Mailman / Spice Bosh
Cs : Cap / Zo / The Dream
Old 12-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
So you run Pace Motion Cuts and call for manual P&R with Malone? Doesn't that then typically send Hakeem into a corner, from which his defender can then cheat off of him to help with the Stockton/Malone P&R, making it a 3 on 2 game for the defense?

I do a lot of 4- or 5- out high P&R with either Josh Smith or Ben Wallace at 4, but when my 5 is Sabonis and he can drain open corner threes at a ~50% clip, and so cannot be left open.

But I'm curious about what to do when I have Hakeem in at 5 and I'm using someone like Malone at 4, or even AD or someone else who isn't a knockdown 3-point shooter.

Especially if I'm running a PG who isn't a knockdown shooter from outside (or even elite at midrange).
Not manual pnr. Manual plays. Actually, many of the plays that I use for my shooters have multiple scoring choices. I.e. the early portion of the play is meant for a 3/mid, but if I let it play out, one of my bigs has an opening.

PH24 is another type. Pass to Malone at elbow. Caller cuts to corner to set screen for shooter. Malone to shooter. And there are 2 different pick points to utilize. If I can't get a jumper, Malone is almost always open due to the scrambled D. Sometimes I just call it and And backdown.

For the most part, Pace is terrible for a player like him. But I call a number of plays out of it. ***if hakeem goes to the corner on a manual pnr...he will be open. Pass it to him and step inside the arc. Most people will give you the shot. If they don't, look under the hoop.

I probably should start running a different set, but it's what I'm used to. I would certainly listen to any suggestions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offballer4life
For the most part, Pace is terrible for a player like him. But I call a number of plays out of it. ***if hakeem goes to the corner on a manual pnr...he will be open. Pass it to him and step inside the arc. Most people will give you the shot. If they don't, look under the hoop.

I probably should start running a different set, but it's what I'm used to. I would certainly listen to any suggestions.
Thanks for all the description, that was interesting. What playbook are you using? (Have you ever tried running the Historic Jazz Playbook?)

Yeah, I think it would be better for you, when using Malone and not using a 5 who can shoot from 3, to switch from Pace to a different Freelance. Even though I have Sabonis to shoot from outside, I've been looking at various Freelances that would be conducive to making a 2-traditional-big (e.g. both only being able to shoot midrange at most, maybe one not at all) lineup work.

Specifically, I want to find something that will allow me to run Ben Wallace at 4 (or even at 2 or 3) and not at the 5. I agree with the general opinion that his height is too big of a problem when facing guys like Shaq or Wilt. But I really like the option of having him to lock down on an opponent's go-to Stretch 4, or even a 3, or a 2. And want to figure out plays that will utilize him best on offense by having him do off-ball screening and roll/cut to the basket.

As for freelances, it seems to me that the best ones to run with 2 bigs who can only shoot mids at best, are: one of the 3-2 variants, of course, but also Horns, Triangle, and Flow.

Flow and Triangle I think might be best as they are the most complex. The 3-2 and Horns freelances are pretty limited in actions/branches.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #13
Rookie

billiethetree's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for all the description, that was interesting. What playbook are you using? (Have you ever tried running the Historic Jazz Playbook?)

Yeah, I think it would be better for you, when using Malone and not using a 5 who can shoot from 3, to switch from Pace to a different Freelance. Even though I have Sabonis to shoot from outside, I've been looking at various Freelances that would be conducive to making a 2-traditional-big (e.g. both only being able to shoot midrange at most, maybe one not at all) lineup work.

Specifically, I want to find something that will allow me to run Ben Wallace at 4 (or even at 2 or 3) and not at the 5. I agree with the general opinion that his height is too big of a problem when facing guys like Shaq or Wilt. But I really like the option of having him to lock down on an opponent's go-to Stretch 4, or even a 3, or a 2. And want to figure out plays that will utilize him best on offense by having him do off-ball screening and roll/cut to the basket.

As for freelances, it seems to me that the best ones to run with 2 bigs who can only shoot mids at best, are: one of the 3-2 variants, of course, but also Horns, Triangle, and Flow.

Flow and Triangle I think might be best as they are the most complex. The 3-2 and Horns freelances are pretty limited in actions/branches.
I always see Horns listed as a freelance, but can never find it in that menu. Help?
Old 12-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:

I'll give triangle and flow.
Nets pb. Never tried jazz historic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiethetree
I always see Horns listed as a freelance, but can never find it in that menu. Help?
Unless it only shows with certain pbs, it's there.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiethetree
It's in there. "Horns Set," and is on one of the final pages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 AM   #16
Rookie

Flow is very good, I used it last year a lot. I'm fairly certain it's what the Mavs run or used to run, so my playbook works flawlessly with it. Heat 2014 is also decent. Ahh those were the days

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »