Home

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #57
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

I'm working on an update to the OP for 2K18 as some things have changed a bit over the years (such as context animations being triggered more by the Body Up Sensitivity than by the Defense sliders). Much of the information has stayed the same, but these sliders are VERY important and deserve an updated analysis.

First thing to clear up before posting the update: The Layup/Jump Shot Defense Strength sliders affect the defense AGAINST whoever they're listed under.

For example, set the USER sliders to 100 and the CPU sliders to 0, and the CPU will play fantastic defense AGAINST the USER, while the USER's defense will have very little effect on the CPU. If you want the USER AI to play better defense, you need to increase the CPU Defense Strength sliders.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #58
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

2K19 TESTING UNDERWAY. CHECK BACK PERIODICALLY.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #59
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

FIRST 2K19 UPDATE!

In this first update, I clarify which team the USER/CPU sliders affect, as well as how these sliders affect Shot Success and Context-Based Animations.

The next update will go over more details specific to the Jump Shot Defense Strength sliders as they seemed to control a LOT of gameplay aspects in the past that are now controlled by their own settings (Body-Up Sensitivity, and the Coach Defense Settings). Expect the update soon!
Old 05-04-2019, 01:29 AM   #60
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

FINAL (?!) 2K19 UPDATE!

IT IS ALLLLLL OVER! JUST. LIKE. THAT!

Sorry, I know, I got a little over excited there. But you guys don't understand, the Defense Strength sliders have been the absolute BANE of my existence every single year when testing sliders. Tweaking them one way would give you great animations and shot success rates, but ridiculous defensive rotations that became easy to manipulate and take advantage of leading to repetitive, unrealistic, BORING gameplay. Solving the defensive rotation and decision making issues was possible, but then you would lose out on all the context-based animations that made the game look and feel realistic and enjoyable while also needing to tweak 20 other settings just to make the game somewhat of a challenge but again just as repetitive and boring.

BUT NOT THIS DAY (YEAR?)! No, in 2K19 they have finally removed the correlation between Defense Strength sliders and defensive rotations/decision making. Now you can tweak these settings to get the exact challenge and animations you want without sacrificing gameplay or realism OR needing to spend literally endless hours trying to tweak the rest of the slider set in order to put a band-aid over the countless problems these settings caused.

This year, the Defense Strength sliders affect two things and two things only: Shot Success and Animations. Higher settings = lower shot success but far more animations, and these animations make the game look, feel, and react the way it SHOULD but never has in years past. And no, I don't mean "Higher settings = set everything to 100". Tweakingand fine-tuning will still be needed, but the number of gameplay variables has been reduced to two instead of twenty, which makes life oh so very easy from here. The lower shot success can be remedied simply by making small tweaks to the Shot Success sliders (who would've guessed) and NOTHING ELSE.

I'm serious. I'm so happy I just might cry. These sliders have always been my calling card AND my greatest nemesis; The reason I got in to slider testing in the first place AND the reason I always get pissed off and burned out year after year. Today is my FIRST DAY playing or testing 2K19, ever. I thought this would be a weeks long commitment if not more. Instead, I got it solved in under 12 hours. I need a drink...

In the meantime, laugh and rejoice friends, for I have conquered this unruly bastard. These sliders were my Night King, and I it's Valyrian steel harbinger of death.

(All theatrics aside, I'm just really happy and relieved. Leave comments and questions and I'll be sure to answer back and clear up any confusion).

Enjoy!

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 05-04-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:33 AM   #61
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
FINAL (?!) 2K19 UPDATE!

IT IS ALLLLLL OVER! JUST. LIKE. THAT!

Sorry, I know, I got a little over excited there. But you guys don't understand, the Defense Strength sliders have been the absolute BANE of my existence every single year when testing sliders. Tweaking them one way would give you great animations and shot success rates, but ridiculous defensive rotations that became easy to manipulate and take advantage of leading to repetitive, unrealistic, BORING gameplay. Solving the defensive rotation and decision making issues was possible, but then you would lose out on all the context-based animations that made the game look and feel realistic and enjoyable while also needing to tweak 20 other settings just to make the game somewhat of a challenge but again just as repetitive and boring.

BUT NOT THIS DAY (YEAR?)! No, in 2K19 they have finally removed the correlation between Defense Strength sliders and defensive rotations/decision making. Now you can tweak these settings to get the exact challenge and animations you want without sacrificing gameplay or realism OR needing to spend literally endless hours trying to tweak the rest of the slider set in order to put a band-aid over the countless problems these settings caused.

This year, the Defense Strength sliders affect two things and two things only: Shot Success and Animations. Higher settings = lower shot success but far more animations, and these animations make the game look, feel, and react the way it SHOULD but never has in years past. And no, I don't mean "Higher settings = set everything to 100". Tweakingand fine-tuning will still be needed, but the number of gameplay variables has been reduced to two instead of twenty, which makes life oh so very easy from here. The lower shot success can be remedied simply by making small tweaks to the Shot Success sliders (who would've guessed) and NOTHING ELSE.

I'm serious. I'm so happy I just might cry. These sliders have always been my calling card AND my greatest nemesis; The reason I got in to slider testing in the first place AND the reason I always get pissed off and burned out year after year. Today is my FIRST DAY playing or testing 2K19, ever. I thought this would be a weeks long commitment if not more. Instead, I got it solved in under 12 hours. I need a drink...

In the meantime, laugh and rejoice friends, for I have conquered this unruly bastard. These sliders were my Night King, and I it's Valyrian steel harbinger of death.

(All theatrics aside, I'm just really happy and relieved. Leave comments and questions and I'll be sure to answer back and clear up any confusion).

Enjoy!
Where is the slider? Is it also on PC? Thank you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2019, 03:23 AM   #62
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu0723
Where is the slider? Is it also on PC? Thank you!
This isn't a slider-set thread. This thread just breaks down a few important sliders (the Defense Strength sliders) to define and explain what they do and how to tweak them to get the results you want.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #63
Rookie

SlimFast_GymRat's Arena

So, in conclusion to explaining this what number of value do you think would be most optimal to set these sliders at to achieve the most balance (even a ballpark rating) for certain levels?

For example, as someone who plays All-Star or Superstar level, what number of value would give them good competition without compromising the endless amount of animations they'd wish to see.

I have these sliders for both user/CPU range between 40 to above 50.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #64
Just started!

Holy cow!!!!! I finally feel like 2k19 is what I was hoping for now. Thanks for your time and insight, bro! The game looks, plays and feels like a AAA product after fine tuning these sliders. I feel like now I can adjust the play style to reflect different eras and to simply enjoy the game more. My only issue is why didn't the devs make this change a point of emphasis in terms of relaying the changes and details to the customers???? Maybe they did and I missed it? But it seems like this is a very important detail when you consider how much it impacts the actual gameplay and feel of the game. Thanks, fellas!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »