Home

2K Sports Names Kevin Durant as NBA 2K15 Cover Athlete, Arrives October 7th

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Names Kevin Durant as NBA 2K15 Cover Athlete, Arrives October 7th within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #49
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Save me the long rant...it's been done....repeatedly....we all know and have acknowledged these issues

When I say turn on a dime i mean like in earlier games where foot planting and momentum were not taken into consideration at all. No NBA player or human can make some of those zig zag shifts in movement. If that's what you want to return, more power to you...but not me or a lot of other "long time players"

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 05-08-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #50
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebryant824
^^^This guy gets it.

To whoever said you don't want to turn on a dime...why not? Professional basketball players can turn on a dime and perform crazy moves at times so why would this not be in the game? Why does it feel like the player is moving in molasses?

And to the stamina point, you're absolutely right. I've never seen any NBA player lose tons of fatigue from performing dribble moves. Maybe a slight progression throughout the course of a game but as it is now it seems as if they get tired very quickly from performing simple moves.

I also agree with most of the things he said like always.

I just don't really agree with the stamina and dribble moves perspective. I believe it's good where it's at because it gives a balance and makes this game more of a simulation imo. Players in real life barely do all types of crossovers each time they have the ball in their possession.

If 2K cut back on this, you'll see people doing crossovers and all other type of dribble moves in one possession. I feel that losing a lot of stamina is the best counter for this not to happen. Unless you want someone to be able to just strip the player after doing so many dribble moves. But that's a lot more unrealistic to me. I feel that should be left alone, but everything is else is spot on to me.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy

Last edited by Jrocc23; 05-08-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #51
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

One thing that completely needs to be eliminated is any and every animation where you completely lose control of the dribbler...being moved to the left/ right for 2-3 seconds is so annoying...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 2
Talking Re: 2K Sports Names Kevin Durant as NBA 2K15 Cover Athlete, Arrives October 7th

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
One thing that completely needs to be eliminated is any and every animation where you completely lose control of the dribbler...being moved to the left/ right for 2-3 seconds is so annoying...
Fam..imma keep it 100 with you...you dont watch basketball, and you're definitely not a fan of the crossover. Theres no way you want simulation basketball, and say the stopping on a dime is unrealistic, but then say on the next hand that losing control of your player for 2 seconds needs to be eliminated in any and every animation.

BRo...are you serious?

Check this out....if i go left, and then you go left, and then all of a sudden i go right, your body is gonna take a sec to adjust....now imagine if you're not ready for that adjustment...you just might lose your balance....Now SPEED this up 10x Fold, and place the best athletes on earth doing this, and you have yourself the NBA. Man...it just seems like you want certain things that are not realistic. Crossovers that are ineffective and give the defense time to recover...hmm...what the hell? you think everyone should crossover and have speed like Luc Longley?

look...back to what i was referencing earlier...no matter how much you dribble, regardless what the setting is...NBA game, allstar game, playoffs, streetball, it doesnt matter, the mechanics are always going to be the same.

There's someone on offense, and someone on defense, and the defender is usually at the mercy of the offense, because the person on offense(assuming they have an above average-to an elite ball handling skill) will always be one step ahead of the person guarding him.

Witness as Kyrie doesnt break a sweat while showcasing his ball handling skills.

Watch this video in its entirety and watch every defenders reaction to a crossover and tell me that they dont take at least 2-3 seconds to recover from the crossover. Being able to MOVE ON A DIME would make this game play much closer to real life than this slow footed version of 2k we have now.

When in this video do you feel that Austin rivers should have gained his footing? There's no chance of recovery from a well timed crossover, jab step, stepback, head fake, spin move or in and out juke move. This isnt your dads NBA, this League is full of elite ball handlers.

Even power forwards handle the ball well...Carmelo Anthony, terence jones, Blake Griffin

And heres another..

Blake Griffin Point GOD

or how about Big Cousins aka magic Cousins
??

i dunno bro...the 24th letter is X, and that usually means you're wrong, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but i honestly believe you need to re-evaluate your self when it comes to basketball knowledge and how the game works today.

Last edited by Mrleaderboards; 05-08-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #53
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2K Sports Names Kevin Durant as NBA 2K15 Cover Athlete, Arrives October 7th

Not sure any of this has to with the Thread or the OP but it's an interesting discussion.

I think both of you have some valid points and opinions. I don't mean to question anyone's basketball IQ or awareness but crossovers/dribble moves happen all the time. Watch Chris Paul play ball, great example as they are currently in the Playoffs.

It's hard to judge, personally I think stopping on a dime and changing directions ridiculously quickly is fine and NBA players can do that. (Some are obviously better than others, i.e. guards vs. PF/C) I think we underestimate how great these players really are, I would like to be able to perform John Wall-ish moves in my game. That's just me though..
Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #54
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebryant824
Not sure any of this has to with the Thread or the OP but it's an interesting discussion.

I think both of you have some valid points and opinions. I don't mean to question anyone's basketball IQ or awareness but crossovers/dribble moves happen all the time. Watch Chris Paul play ball, great example as they are currently in the Playoffs.

It's hard to judge, personally I think stopping on a dime and changing directions ridiculously quickly is fine and NBA players can do that. (Some are obviously better than others, i.e. guards vs. PF/C) I think we underestimate how great these players really are, I would like to be able to perform John Wall-ish moves in my game. That's just me though..

I thought about that too...but then looking at the picture there is a concern with the direction of the game and that picture doesn't help.

Its too early to speculate what 2k is doing but anyway, some stuff is just over exxaggerated. Using highlight videos as a reference to what you call sim isn't exactly the best way to go about it.

talking about making moves and crossovers man cmon yall

You should be talking to 2k about NBA basketball... that stuff is secondary.

The passing is definitely a problem and has been for so many years.

The movement needs some serious work, and hopefully this year was the first year of something unfinished tied into what 24th was talking about, those animations that make you lose control for a few seconds shouldn't be there.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
What previous installment was this successfully done in?

we talk about sacrifices...

I personally don't want to sacrifice realism for the sake of perceived control. I don't want to be able turn on a dime like I did in 2k7-2k8. That was fun for then, but it doesn't make any sense to return to that now.

The answer of course, is somewhere in the middle.
Ummm just a question...If it was FUN then, why wouldn't having controls back in our hands be FUN NOW? You kind of lost me with that. It's almost as if you're saying since we got older, and 2k has grown as a team, fun should should stay in the past, and boring mini-movies(canimations) thaT WE CANT CANCEL, at anytime is the wave of the future and we should just accept it.

Nah bro...

Why can't we have fun playing 2k? Isnt this what brought, you, myself, and millions of other players across the world together in the first place? The controls of previous 2k Games up until 2k12 were great. They allowed you to play sim, while still FEELING FUN at the same time. I'm all for foot planting and what have you, but dont take away how the game feels. And if you do change the way the game feels, make it better, not worse. if you get burned by someone doing a crossover, just switch defenders....thats what happens in real life...

ASK Samuel Dalembert....he's got andre millers back

all im saying to you 24th Letter is to see that it might be better to ask 2K to bring controls back in the hands of the user, than to say things are fine as is, and the direction 2k has been going is ok. That's a disservice to everyone on this forum who see's 2K Sports as a forward thinking game company who prides themselves on focusing on what the consumer has to say about their final overall product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I thought about that too...but then looking at the picture there is a concern with the direction of the game and that picture doesn't help.

Its too early to speculate what 2k is doing but anyway, some stuff is just over exxaggerated. Using highlight videos as a reference to what you call sim isn't exactly the best way to go about it.

talking about making moves and crossovers man cmon yall

You should be talking to 2k about NBA basketball... that stuff is secondary.

The passing is definitely a problem and has been for so many years.

The movement needs some serious work, and hopefully this year was the first year of something unfinished tied into what 24th was talking about, those animations that make you lose control for a few seconds shouldn't be there.
Well I apologize for thinking that MY TIME HAS COME had anything to do with 2k actually paying attention to what consumers wanted in their next installment of NBA 2K.

Forget about graphics and looks....THATS secondary. Whats ALWAYS separated the 2K series from Live, NBA JAM, and countless other franchises that have gon the way of the ThrowBack Jersey has always been 2k developers focus on how the game plays. Controls controls controls.

Mike Wang Left 2k for one year and the NBA Live series released its best game to date. Mike Wang coming back focused soley on controls and i dont know what he saw over at EA sports, he's been tinkering with how the game plays over the past few years to try and get 2k to play more like live. you know why? Its because of how fluid the controls on live played.

23, why do you think 2k releases a control video for every new iteration of their basketball game? Because thats whats most important to us gamers. Thats 2k's bread and butter. If gameplay, including crossovers, dribbling, and player movement on the court is SECONDARY to YOU, what in the world should 2k's attention be on as a PRIMARY focus?

Last edited by Mrleaderboards; 05-08-2014 at 12:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »