Home

Freelance and Plays wishlist

This is a discussion on Freelance and Plays wishlist within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Freelance and Plays wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
The play types are a trade off to allow more plays in the teams playbooks. Assigning plays to players serverly limits the amount of plays you can have assigned in game at one time.

That is why older games who let you assign plays to player had a max of like 4 plays per player or like the other game used to have 8 plays total that you could access in game.

How bad do you want to assign plays to players ? Bad enough to be cool with 4 plays per player ?

Other issues with plays per player is player movement and trades especially inside career modes etc.

No game has allowed you access to as many plays as 2k in game but there is the tradeoff of no direct assignment to players.

I understand there are Limits, just like to push them. LOL. My whole thing is to make Player A shoot different Mid Range Shots than Player B. Because what I have found this year is that you can REMOVE all Play Types from Players and they will still Run the Plays Designed for their Position. And I have also Noticed that I can Raise the Tendencies enough were Play Types for the Players are Obsolete.

What I was Suggesting is NOT take anything away from the Playbooks themselves, but Give Players with Play Types(PnR, Mid, 3pt, etc) the Ability to the Option to Assign Specific Plays for them. Like if I wanted to Have SHAQ to Only have Low Post Plays on the Right Block. If it cant be accomplished I understand, just wanted to throw out the idea.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade

Last edited by vtcrb; 03-26-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #18
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Things I'd like to see:

1. Rick Adelman's Corner offense as a motion set.

2. Access to what motion you want to run in the coach settings

3. Primary and secondary motion set accessible. If you don't push a command, your team will setup in the primary formation. Push a command to bring up the secondary set.

4. Would also like an option to pick what transition plays are ran for your team.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:26 AM   #19
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Jerry Sloan's Flex offense was so damn sexy it should have come with parental advisory. Would love to see it as a freelance offense.

Also create a play in 2k16 would justify a celebratory 10 minute loop of Prince's 'Purple Rain'.
Yeah I stated I want this lol. I love the flex and it can be a chore to defend when you know how to run it right.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #20
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Multiply 4 times every player in the game, current, classic, myteam, created players etc. To assign specific lays you have to store, track, organize and manage all of that. So you can see that taking tha tto 5 per player is much more than one might think.

Playtypes as a container solves that issue and allows access to many more plays in game.
I always forget about myteam and hadn't considered all of the CAPs. That would indeed be quite a bit, thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
Things I'd like to see:

1. Rick Adelman's Corner offense as a motion set.
Was just about to mention this, always wanted to see more of this offense in 2k.

Also, I'd love to be able to select freelance before the game starts. Whether this is on the loading screen when selecting lineups/matchups or on the coaching screen for franchise mode, I'm not picky
Old 03-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #21
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7

This may sound off-topic, but I'd like to see the actual control design of how we call plays a bit smoother, I mean trying to call a play and change a bunch of offensive emphasis is a bit tricky as you only have 24 seconds, and sometimes trying to locate the play you want and trying to scroll through a few pages of plays is a bit tough as it becomes a race against the shot clock...usually resulting in me putting up a bad shot because the I lost a few seconds trying to organize a play...not a complaint or anything, just maybe a thought on play calling!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2015, 03:47 AM   #22
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
I would love the ability to Add Specific Plays to Specific Players. For Example, if Player "A" Small Forward Only shoots when running a certain play 3pt Play, and Player "B" Small Forward runs a Different type of 3 pt play, we should be able to Assign WHICH play goes to each player.

Play Types Give us the Ability to Assign 3pt, BUT if we go in playbooks and assign a SF 3pt play ALL SFs have the Ability to Run that play. I want the ability to call Plays for ONLY Melo or ONLY Lebron.

^^^ This post above is what I would like to see added. Also for out of bounds plays I would like the option to pick the guy you want to take the ball out of bounds. Last gen had this even though it was somewhat broke because late in games it didn't work. I hate seeing Hibbert always take the ball out of bounds for me because IRL he don't.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-26-2015, 03:54 AM   #23
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman_OS
This may sound off-topic, but I'd like to see the actual control design of how we call plays a bit smoother, I mean trying to call a play and change a bunch of offensive emphasis is a bit tricky as you only have 24 seconds, and sometimes trying to locate the play you want and trying to scroll through a few pages of plays is a bit tough as it becomes a race against the shot clock...usually resulting in me putting up a bad shot because the I lost a few seconds trying to organize a play...not a complaint or anything, just maybe a thought on play calling!

I agree, that's why I just decided a few years ago to leave play calling on auto. Sometime I will over-ride it with the smart play button, or call a specific play for a player. It just takes to much time off the clock trying to call a specific play for a player all the time. Not really sure how the devs could improve on this though, it might be as good as they can get it, and the playcalling over the past few years has improved drastically to how it use to be.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 2

Posted some of the stuff in the 2k16 off ball/screen thread, but since this is an official one...

In general, more freelance sets aren't really needed imo. Enhancing the current ones is more than enough I think, in addition to tweaking set plays even more. 2k15 is already great in terms of play design. Eliminating sets that take too long to develop alone would make a big difference.

1) I would really like a logic for quick options being triggered if a play doesn't result in an open look. For example, if the defense successfully denies shooters in a floppy play, have something like a quick PnR, iso or post up triggered immediately. Maybe this is simply too complex from a design point of view, but it would improve the flow of games a lot. Especially playing against the CPU.

One example...you probably all know the situations where a PnF play results in the fading man catching the ball behind the free throw line with everybody else not moving at all and no further action happening. Quite a few CPU possessions are wasted that way, since right now the main option for AI teams late in the clock is to simply run at the basket. Some kind of bail-out logic initiating quick plays late in the clock could improve all that.

2) Related to the last point...the quick options could actually be used as early offense sets as well. So basically, you'd have a freelance set (3-2, 4-1, whatever.) with maybe 5 to 10 different quick plays per play type, assigned according to player profiles. Depending on the run plays slider, these actions are used as an alternative to set plays. So with run plays at 50 for example, there would be an equal amount of sets and quick plays triggered early in a possession. After a set breaks down and late in the clock, quick plays are triggered automatically. I know it sounds a lot like current freelance actions, but with CPU teams, the movement just isn't there a lot of the time.

3) The small circle used to initiate plays needs an overhaul imo. Especially online against people abusing double teams, it's just frustrating trying to play normal basketball since the spot is just so damn small. A bigger circle would be nice, maybe even something like zones on the court where a play is triggered. I'm thinking about something like the way hotspots are distributed.

So for example 3 or maybe 5 zones around the 3 point line for plays triggered from there. If you enter the zone, the play gets started and is already running if you get to the 3pt line. Aside from being practical, it would also make games look more organic by reducing artificial breaks before plays are getting started. It's also making cheesy defense tactics harder in online play, since people won't be able to exploit the predetermined spots we have to use right no in order to run plays. If a player only needs to step into an area an a play is triggered, the defense actually has to counter the play instead of taking advantage of the current play calling system.

4) A small general thing...don't know how POEs are currently working for CPU teams, but I'd like to see any kind of smart play logic for AI teams eliminated. Have the CPU use the whole playbook only based on touches and individual plays assigned. So many cool plays, no need to have the CPU not use all of them.

Last edited by mango_prom; 03-26-2015 at 09:22 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »