Home

Players Too big on the court

This is a discussion on Players Too big on the court within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #57
Pro

CaCHooKa Man's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Players Too big on the court

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbertnation64
I was about to agree with OP until I remembered the first time I got seat upgrades for the Lakers... Yeah 2k is actually accurate. Those dudes are monsters
I've sat 14 rows away from the court at a Lakers game and I can confirm that NBA players are huge

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #58
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Angles certainly can make a difference. But concrete geometric lengths and values would better "describe" the player to court ratio because numbers are factual and numbers don't lie.

Why would measuring players' real heights, limb length, girth, shoe size in relation to the court not be more accurate? Someone who is 6 feet tall is going to remain 6 feet tall regardless of camera angle. Camera angle may cloud our judgment because optical illusion may be at play. But 6 feet is 6 feet regardless of camera angle.

Mathematical measures supercedes all optical illusions.

"An NBA game court is 94 feet long and 50 feet wide, divided in half by a midcourt line. Each half is a mirror image of the other. This diagram shows some of the key markings and areas of an NBA basketball court. - google internet search"

Jameer Nelson is 6' feet tall. An NBA basketball court is 50 feet wide. Mathematical measurements says we should be able to fit #8.33 Jameer Nelson across the width of the floor.

An architect uses numbers to draw up plans. They don't use "optical illusion" / "different angles looking at things to determine proper dimensions." Everything is based on numbers because numbers are concrete hard evidence.

Stride length could certainly factor into play, but that is only part of it. I think the most important component still comes down to player's size to court ratio. If we have 10 guys on the court and they don't move, stride length no longer can determine if the player to court ratio is proper or not.

Depth of field, scope of the lens used, angle at which the camera is sitting, are the major variables you are ignoring.

There are ways to throw off entire measurements by slightly adjusting any of those three factors.

The same tricks are used in movies all the time. 6 feet in one camera isn't the same 6 feet in another.

And I'm not saying 2K is doing this on purpose. I am saying that the camera they are using to show us gameplay footage is different than the camera being used by ABC.

You're right about your math but you're missing the extra components. And since neither of us knows the exact location of the in-game camera, it's impossible to measure the accuracy of the proportions.

sent from my mobile device
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 09-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #59
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Depth of field, scope of the lens used, angle at which the camera is sitting, are the major variables you are ignoring.

There are ways to throw off entire measurements by slightly adjusting any of those three factors.

The same tricks are used in movies all the time. 6 feet in one camera isn't the same 6 feet in another.

And I'm not saying 2K is doing this on purpose. I am saying that the camera they are using to show us gameplay footage is different than the camera being used by ABC.

You're right about your math but you're missing the extra components. And since neither of us knows the exact location of the in-game camera, it's impossible to measure the accuracy of the proportions.

sent from my mobile device
As alluded to in my earlier posts, I certainly do agree with your statements. I am actually taking into account "depth of field, scope of the lens used, angle at which the camera is sitting" and whatever factors that possibly might create distortion for player to court ratios.

What I'm saying is if accurate measurements are in fact implemented for everything from players' anatomy to court dimensions, that should be all that matters because numbers don't lie. If 2k chooses to use a wide camera angle lens or whatever lens that could possibly alter the depth of field and player to court ratio, BUT the mathematical measures are completely accurate, then 2k has in fact created an accurate representation of player to court ratio.

If we can fit #8.33 Jameer Nelson (6 feet tall) across the width of the court (50 feet), even if 2k's camera angle causes Jameer Nelson to appear much bigger, as long as #8.33 of 2k's Jameer Nelson player model fit the width of the court, then 2k have successfully captured player/court measurements correctly.

Playing devil's advocate, and trying to see it from the perspective of those believing players are in fact too large, what I'm trying to get at is possibly for 2k to consider using the traditional standard TV broadcast "lens/camera angle, etc" to appease both parties if in fact it is the chosen lens causing visual discrepancies. If it's not the camera lens, but rather the actual player sizes, then the suggestion is to make corrections to player models.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »