Home

Ten buckets fam!

This is a discussion on Ten buckets fam! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Ten buckets fam!

Mike, I understand you and agree! 👊

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #18
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Put in simplest terms, you are essentially being limited to having 10 attributes you can customize rather than the full 45. And you should be excited that they are up to 10 from 6.

#FIRE

Not asking for more points. Asking for more CHOICES.

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Old 08-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
But what you guys are referring to is the cap system not the bucket system. The bucket system does NOT create balance, that's the goal of a strict cap system.

There is no actual point to a bucket system, as other posters have brought up, this prevents you from being able to pass the ball well without great handles, or maybe being a good offensive rebounder but not defensive, etc. THIS DOES NOT ENCOURAGE INDIVIDUALITY.

Give me a strict cap system so I cant be a 7'0" Lebron, ok cool. But allow me to assign my limited attribute points where I want. What is everyone not understanding about this?
I mean, I would be up for more granularity, but if you're upgrading individual attributes you end up in situations where people jack up their 3P shooting to 99 while their mid-range and FT shooting is still in the 40s, or various other ways to attempt to min-max the game in ways that are completely absurd to real life basketball. Sure, more individuality would be nice, but there are skills that are closely enough related that being able to raise one drastically and leave the other in the dumps just creates silliness. Maybe you can have some middle-ground system, where you can focus on certain attributes within a bucket? Or have various overlapping buckets so you can tailor your guy certain ways? I'd be all for that. But I don't want to see what would assuredly be min-maxed monstrosities that would come out of an individual rating system.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #20
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

According to this...If I choose slasher my jump shot will be weak.

But what if I wanted to created a James Harden type player. Isn't he a slasher with a decent jumper?
Old 08-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #21
Rookie

ZBoo50's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
According to this...If I choose slasher my jump shot will be weak.

But what if I wanted to created a James Harden type player. Isn't he a slasher with a decent jumper?
That would be OP to max them both, maybe you can do it for offline but not for online modes

I like this system, just want to see lay up and dunk attributes are separated

Manu Ginobili driving lay up 90 but dunking isnt 90 at the same time...This needs to be seperated
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #22
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krodis
I mean, I would be up for more granularity, but if you're upgrading individual attributes you end up in situations where people jack up their 3P shooting to 99 while their mid-range and FT shooting is still in the 40s, or various other ways to attempt to min-max the game in ways that are completely absurd to real life basketball. Sure, more individuality would be nice, but there are skills that are closely enough related that being able to raise one drastically and leave the other in the dumps just creates silliness.
That's NOT what I'm asking for and why I keep trying to get everyone to differentiate the cap system from the bucket system

Quote:
Maybe you can have some middle-ground system, where you can focus on certain attributes within a bucket? Or have various overlapping buckets so you can tailor your guy certain ways? I'd be all for that. But I don't want to see what would assuredly be min-maxed monstrosities that would come out of an individual rating system.
THIS is what I want, the ability to go within those groupings and improve what I want to improve. I'm not asking to exceed the caps.

You get what I'm saying?

How many different players can I create from 10 attributes?
Now how many can I create from 45 attributes?

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Old 08-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
Rookie

I feel as if some people looking at that pic haven't seen the actual trailer yet because there's still some aspects to this that are unclear and you can't really go off of the picture to know.

For instance, someone mentioned being a point guard who always dunks but in the trailer for it all, it showed that if you have a smaller height, your dunking is more down than if you're bigger. So that will impact a lot of things along with wingspan which actually takes down your shooting if you make your guy go up in wingspan so there's consequence to it.

In terms of someone mentioning if you're a slasher then you can't have a jumper and using James Harden an example. In the trailer there's a "point forward" category which obviously wouldn't be in shooting guard but I'm guessing there's something similar to that as a SG which would much more define Harden as he can pass, shoot and drive and it looked to be a mix of all three bucket wise but without being too overpowered in one (which is a fair trade off given that Harden has had some bad shooting slumps even though he can put up points).

Is it individual attributes? Nah and I don't even know which one free throw factors into which is kind of important. But this is actually a far bigger step to things than I think people realize just off of one screenshot, the trailer details it a little and we don't know the impact of the final game yet. There are a few playstyles so if you want to be someone who finishes at the rim with force, you sacrifice your shooting to be a slasher. If you want a shooter and someone who can finish at the rim then you're not really a slasher, so you look towards another play style.

At the end of the day, there's actual improvement being made even if you can argue they can still be better and I'll take that. Instead of height and one general category of "Balance, Inside, Outside" defining your player...you have a bunch of different styles tailored after players in the league as in the trailer.

Last edited by Inzombniac; 08-26-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
Banned

I'm looking forward to career after watching the trailer, but these buckets are just a further dilution of what our career my players should be allowed to be. Park will end up exactly the same; 2 sharpshooters and a rebounding center.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »