Home

NBA 2K17 Prelude Feedback Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Prelude Feedback Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #33
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NBA 2K17 Prelude Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
Was this an issue for people in 2k16 also?
Not that I know of. Certainly not for me, and I played 2k16 just this week.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #34
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
I'm shocked to be saying this, but the Prelude has put me on the fence about this game. It was an automatic preorder going into September, but between the R2 Turbo glitch and what I'm seeing from teammate AI and the floaty passing, I'm in "wait and see" mode. My gut reaction to the Prelude is "I don't want to play anymore of this video game."

That said, this is not the full version of the game, it is not patched and these aren't even NBA players(including Prez) so a lot of the animations and abilities don't reflect the final game. So I'll wait and see. If the Prelude is reflective of what the final game feels like, I will either skip it, which would be a first, or I'll only get it so I can discuss what I think needs improvement. Not sure about that, because it either requires buying a controller specifically for 2k or learning how to use Icon passing/Turbo in reverse. With my schedule and the prospect of using that time for Street Fighter, Overwatch and Mafia III, I could see for the first time in my life skipping 2k.
What you didnt like in this game?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #35
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
I'm shocked to be saying this, but the Prelude has put me on the fence about this game. It was an automatic preorder going into September, but between the R2 Turbo glitch and what I'm seeing from teammate AI and the floaty passing, I'm in "wait and see" mode. My gut reaction to the Prelude is "I don't want to play anymore of this video game."

That said, this is not the full version of the game, it is not patched and these aren't even NBA players(including Prez) so a lot of the animations and abilities don't reflect the final game. So I'll wait and see. If the Prelude is reflective of what the final game feels like, I will either skip it, which would be a first, or I'll only get it so I can discuss what I think needs improvement. Not sure about that, because it either requires buying a controller specifically for 2k or learning how to use Icon passing/Turbo in reverse. With my schedule and the prospect of using that time for Street Fighter, Overwatch and Mafia III, I could see for the first time in my life skipping 2k.
2k has stated you will be able to customize passing to your liking in the final release so that may remedy your issues. I can't speak for your other problems though.

My biggest problem with the game is the same issue I had with 2k16 and that's "Mario running" when trying to play off ball defense. I was hoping they would add a quick swim move animation when players came into contact with one another but it still appears to be the same as 2k16. I also feel like players are still too heavy when moving them around. Other than that the game is solid with rebounding, shooting, defense looking improved.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #36
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
2k has stated you will be able to customize passing to your liking in the final release so that may remedy your issues. I can't speak for your other problems though.

My biggest problem with the game is the same issue I had with 2k16 and that's "Mario running" when trying to play off ball defense. I was hoping they would add a quick swim move animation when players came into contact with one another but it still appears to be the same as 2k16. I also feel like players are still too heavy when moving them around. Other than that the game is solid with rebounding, shooting, defense looking improved.
Yeah, the Mario Run has been a serious problem. Every time they add a good contextual collision situation, it gets a little better.

You can't customize pass speed in MyCareer, Park, ProAm, MyTeam or online Head to Head, so the out of box settings have become what most players have to deal with. Sliders and customization are more and more becoming a solution for the minority group of players. The broader base needs the developers to fix the default settings to fix most problems.

There are a lot of improvements and I'm not overlooking that. It just so happens that not having a sprint button, a Hero Ball MyCareer(the dumb/nerfed AI teammates issue) and slow icon passes are a combination that could lead me to take the year off. The slow icon passes allow for very dishonest defensive coverage which again, encourages an isolation offense. I haven't had enough time with the game to say so, and the turbo button issue exacerbates this, but it looks like once again the defensive movement may not be nearly on par with the offensive movement. 2k winds up living in this reverse world where turbo closeouts are stronger than staying in front of your man and maintaining good spacing. Where on ball steals and blocks are more reliable and easier to execute defensive options than occupying an area.

To say it's early would be an exaggeration, but these are the things I have my eye on while exploring. I doubt the Prelude represents the final product, but it's a matter of which of these warts are in the retail. Either way, I'm definitely not preordering until I see more footage of the fiinished game across all game modes. Depending on what I see there, I'll either preorder it, pick it up after getting some early feedback or passing on it entirely.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 2

Is there a way to start a new my career player once you have selected your player type?

I know you can do it with another account login but is there a way using your main xbox pr psn acct?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #38
Banned

Aggies67's Arena

OVR: 0

I have never been a big fan of basketball. I don't know hardly any of the players' names, and in fact only know a few of the rules.
That said, I enjoy playing NBA 2k16 and College Hoops 2K8.
I really like this prelude. I find the story immersive and it really motivates me to try to do well. I wish the college part would be longer.
I named My Payer after my cat,and tried to make him look like my cat would if he were a human.
Yes, I know this is the weirdest feedback post of the whole thread!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #39
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies67
I named My Payer after my cat,and tried to make him look like my cat would if he were a human.
Hahaha. Love it.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #40
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Maybe I'm extra irratible after a long work day, but the pop ups in 2KU are extremely annoying. Its like they said 'hey this is free, so lets make these obnoxious as possible. I honestly dont want to play it any more after one session...and I was eager to get some of the dribbling mechanics down.

Im over here trying to string together moves and I get a stupid pop up about bounce passing, lol

Add that to the fact the face scanning experience was frustrating....I think I'm going to have to come back to this later tonight and try out MyCareer...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »