Home

NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #425
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07

Its just funny this "REAL" basketball moment only happens to the human user's a.i and not the cpu's

In all seriousness though if this behavior was consitent all across the board for both the user and cpu players..I would have nothing to say
Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
I've managed to get it a few times but only when I tell my team to run in transition and push the pace. I can pull down the ball and launch that thing down the court.

It's definitely possible.

I'd record a video of it BUT NVIDIA WON'T RECOGNIZE NBA 2K17 WHICH MEANS SHADOWPLAY ISN'T WORKING.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #426
Rookie

OVR: 2

The AI teammates in MyCareer are horrible. Also, im scared to jump to block somebody because fouls get called so much
Old 09-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #427
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamoyou401
The AI teammates in MyCareer are horrible. Also, im scared to jump to block somebody because fouls get called so much
I find the teammates to be alot better then last year. Im playing HOF. You just have to know when to jump and when not to. Try to also use hands up
Old 09-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #428
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
Been busy and things since Friday so today was the first day I've actually got to spend with it and I'm really loving what I'm experiencing. The gameplay is the best I ever remember playing and I like a lot of the presentation features. I love the Build Custom League feature as it allowed me to start with 36 teams and use a fantasy draft. Exactly what I wanted to to. I have the 30 regular NBA Teams and also added two of the pre-built teams (Vancouver Ravens and Kansas City Knights) as well as four community created teams I downloaded (Kentucky Wildcats, which is my user team, Louisville Cardinals, Cincinnati Royals, and Anaheim Arsenal). I really liked the pre-built teams 2k added in and I hope they can add in more next year. The rebounding and stealing features have really improved, I applaud that. I also like that there seem to be a more accurate number of fouls and shooting fouls this year. In years past there have been too few.

However, there are a few things that could use work

1. I wish it was easier to override the default NBA team logos in League creator. I was really hoping to be able to easily override the current Spurs, Hawks, Warriors, Raptors, and a few other logos and switch them back to the late 90s or early 2000s style era. It can be done but you have to actually download all the parts yourself and put it together, making it a tedious experience. It would be easier if we could just remove the current teams and replace them with user created teams found online.

2. NBATV is popping up a lot. I don't really particuarly care more for it and it's even popping up in place of where the pre-show should be. I'd rather watch Shaq, Ernie, and Kenny talk rather than watch 2kTV.

3. The half time show is more shallow than last year. I like the stat bars it shows but at the same time it should have Kenny, Shaq, and ernie talking in the background like last year.

4. Still not enough stat overlays happening while playing a game to suit me. I remember years ago in very old 2k titles every time a person scored it showed how many points they had scored at that time. It also showed the same for rebounding, steals, assists, blocks, etc. I really like the look of the presentation but I wish it would utilized more often during a game. Or I at least wish there was an option for "very often" stat overlays.

That being said it is a terrific experience and I'm really enjoying it so far. As long as 2k keeps the custom league feature and allows us to create leagues using community created teams as well as more pre-built teams I hope they bring in the future I'll be set. I know I'm probably alone here on this last point but I really hope they keep letting us use CPU vs CPU in MyLeague. I actually prefer to just build teams and watch them to see how good they do.

I may post some MyCareer impressions later. I got to play around with it a bit and really liked what I saw of it too but MyLeague is my baby ans it's the mode I primarily focus on.
So, I'm just updating my impressions from above now that I've had more time to play the game.

1. If you use the pre-built or regular teams the presentation is top notch. I'm really enjoying it.

2. I really hope they can in these pre-built teams and add more next year.

3. You can turn the 2kTV off. Didn't know that before.

4. Having a blast with the gameplay.

5. The half time show is still just as good as last year. I actually like it better. I was using a community made team and that's why it seemed so shallow when I first played it. If you use a regular or pre-built team then it's fine.

Amazing game. The only thing I can hope for for next year is that they give us some more pre-built teams. Keep the ones they have but give us a few more.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #429
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

OVR: 0

overall a good game.... kinda still irritates me that unless you call a play the motion offenses are so predictable after you learn the patterns. it is better than years past but really the only aspect of this great series that is not top notch. the solution is obviously call plays but it is just not my intrest to study playbooks to learn what works and calling the same ones over and over is no better than just allowing the standard repeat motion offense to cycle.

outside that it is pretty great in my opinion. i am more casual than a lot of other users here so take my review with not much weight.

a good thing is still has one of the best offline gm modes of any sports game. really fun and easy to get into and has depth but not to he point that one has to be an actual gm to have some success.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #430
Banned

OVR: 7

Only played a few games games so far after skipping nba 2k16 after buying this game every year. I feel like nba 2k15 is a really solid game and to be honest still not sure if this is worth the upgrade. Admittantly my impression is based on 3 quick games on allstar and still learning the new controls but my feelings are mixed so far.

Things I like

1. Love the presentation upgrades - I'm playing as the celtics and having them interview brad stevens at the start of the 2nd quarter is really cool. Not sure if this was in 16 but really cool nonetheless. 2k really has the presentation down. New commentators and voice audio is a nice change of pace and refreshing. They still seem kind of dead and robotic though. Having assistant coaches talking to my players kind of threw me but not a big deal.

2. Graphics seem cleaner and brighter and players animate more like their true life counterparts. Marcus Smart moves around like Marcus Smart. It's like they are using a new filter and it just looks really sharp. The rim and everything just looks more 3 dimensional.

3. More variety to the gameplay. In past years of 2k you really could just run and gun and play the same style over and over and pretty basic drive and post games. It got kind of repetitive. Ths year I feel like big men position themselves outside more and I'm just seeing more variety in how I have to play. It seems more realistic. How players finish and animate around the rim also adds to the variety.

4. Updated rosters. I hate buying this game every year but 2k has rotations down pat and does a good job with realistic ratings

5. Contact and physics seem to happen more realistically this year. Especially on steals. If i swipe at the ball I feel like its pretty realistc now where as before i was just swiping at air as the ball handler stood there dribbling the ball in my face.

Things I don't like

1. Could be because I'm still adjusting to the new controls. I'm admittantly hitting the wrong buttons at times even still, but particularly the new right stick controls are very touchy and I end up shooting hte ball inadverantly. I'm really struggling driving in this game. Isaiah Thomas in real life is able to pull off dribble moves in the lane and I'm really having trouble gettin ghim to play like his real life self. He moves like his real life self and looks like him but getting the more advanced stuff may just take time. It just seems more difficult to drive in this game. You either beat your man or just get stonewalled.

2. Blocks seem to happen quite a bit and are really bad looking this year. It's like players just barely tap it and its just really anti climatic feeling.

3. I can't hear the shot clock as it winds down. There is no indicator or sound this year or its very slight

4. Defense is very random so far it seems like. I'm playing on allstar and players just get beat sometimes or lose their man off screens which is different than years past and good, but at the same time defense can't be trusted. I also see players seemingly pick up players and then just get lazy and not even guard them. It happens too much where I expect my teammate to pick someone up and they seemingly do but then just stand there like dead defense. I like the realism of parts of it but some parts of it just doesn't seem right. It seems glitchy. I'm playing as the celtics. These guys are good defenders and well coached. They should not just be picking up guys then giving them a free lane to the hoop.

This is the biggest issue to me is I'm seeng players just position themselves horribly and play terrible defense. KO was just playing on Mike Conleys back as conley was standing under the basket. It was passed into conley in the post as KO was around the edge of the free throw area and COnley was under the basket posting him up. KO isn't the most physical guy but that's absurd. Talk about just giving a guy inside position. I've also seen players just get beat horribly in other ways that are just not realistic. PLayers don't seem to react or switch as smart as they did before either.

5. Graphics are more clean but player models seem less detailed this year. There is just something more cartooney about it vs 2k15 which has a more detailed realistic look. KO's shoulders are weird looking. This is really not a big deal though. The game looks great.

6. When a shot is taken I don't know if it's just me but the scoreboard seems to be so close to when the basket goes in it might even count points like it knows the shot is going in before it does. I swear I've seen the scoreboard count shots when they are taken and then flash when it goes in.

Overall nba 2k is a great series and 2k17 seems like a really great game. I'm not sure it's as solid as 2k15. Some of the new stuff seems to come at a cost although I could just need to adjust and get better. I can't knock this game too much. it's the best out there but has some issues. Not sure if it's worth it if you have past versions. Seems like they tried to mix up the presentation and gameplay this year and it comes at a cost slightly.

Last edited by celtics6; 09-20-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #431
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by truballer845
I find the teammates to be alot better then last year. Im playing HOF. You just have to know when to jump and when not to. Try to also use hands up
They are always either out of position or doubling when they dont need to and it leaves plenty of open looks. Im on hall of fame and it's a little annoying. Also it's my teammates that basically fouls everytime someone goes to the basket.

Last edited by lamoyou401; 09-20-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #432
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Am I the only person seeing a massive hit to the fluidity of animations? The game plays jerky and really not good. In shoot around mode it’s fine but in game mode it’s not great. Looks more like live. I play on PC, but my machine had plenty to run 16 and I turned all the settings all the way down to be sure. I can’t figure it out. I really hope it’s temporary because the game is a step backwards as it looks now.

You don’t care where I sent this from.

- Rick Wise

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »