Home

MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem

This is a discussion on MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: MyCareer Has a Realism Problem

It does bother me how they hype you up as the next big thing, then when you come out you are (ratings wise) the worst player in the NBA.

I feel like a more realistic approach would be to have your player come out of college being pretty athletic but fairly low on the skills end of things.After that they could have your player progress in a manner more similar to how FIFA does it their Career mode(i.e. you get better at passing by throwing passes, better at different shots by taking enough high percentage looks with that type of shot,etc.)

I would also appreciate a more FIFA-esque approach to practice where instead of just shooting around/lifting and hoping you get a boost you do specific skills drills which boost specific attributes if do well enough at them (and which attribute each drill affects is clearly noted so you can focus on aspects of your game)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #18
Rookie

CBAT's Arena

OVR: 2

I wish you could skip the cut scenes! Thinking about creating a second player, but dreading it because of the blasted cut scenes.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #19
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Just cuz you got a Mo Cap Studio doesn't mean you gotta make bad MoCap movies!

Anyone play games like Bioshock? They did an awesome thing where you pick up Audio Clips and they play out the whole story (like a cutscene) during the Audio Clip as you run around shooting stuff.

2k has the perfect version of this with the Announcers. Make the story happen during the ON-COURT game, so I can listen and play at the same time.

Currently, the Announcers barely tell any story:
- 80% of what they say, they've said every damn game (an unacceptable level of repetition for something that wants me to play 82 regular seasons to level up and claims there is a "story")
- 50% of what they say is inaccurate (they don't know its the finals or the playoffs for most of it, they don't know I just broke Wilt's record, etc. etc.)
- They don't know what year it is... they only have lines that talk about the current NBA, no lines were recorded for my mid-late career seasons.
-10% of what they say feels like they "know" what I'm doing and will reference some of my stats.

They need to go from 10% of "knowing" what is happening to 80%. How can they find the time to code this? Scrap the MoCap stories and focus on in-game moments instead - instant Game of the Year Award.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
Just cuz you got a Mo Cap Studio doesn't mean you gotta make bad MoCap movies!

Anyone play games like Bioshock? They did an awesome thing where you pick up Audio Clips and they play out the whole story (like a cutscene) during the Audio Clip as you run around shooting stuff.

2k has the perfect version of this with the Announcers. Make the story happen during the ON-COURT game, so I can listen and play at the same time.

Currently, the Announcers barely tell any story:
- 80% of what they say, they've said every damn game (an unacceptable level of repetition for something that wants me to play 82 regular seasons to level up and claims there is a "story")
- 50% of what they say is inaccurate (they don't know its the finals or the playoffs for most of it, they don't know I just broke Wilt's record, etc. etc.)
- They don't know what year it is... they only have lines that talk about the current NBA, no lines were recorded for my mid-late career seasons.
-10% of what they say feels like they "know" what I'm doing and will reference some of my stats.

They need to go from 10% of "knowing" what is happening to 80%. How can they find the time to code this? Scrap the MoCap stories and focus on in-game moments instead - instant Game of the Year Award.
It would be pretty neat if the game delved a little more into the player's personalities and how they interact with each other (certain players talking trash to each other on the court, getting angry with each other or the ref over a dunk or foul,teams with rivalries going really hard against each other,guys trying outscore each other,etc.), then the announcers playing off of that.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #21
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly15
They put alot into the story which don't make any sense and no one can relate to it. I don't understand why the forced story Everytime.
This is my biggest issue too. I understand that 2k and other sports franchises are striving to create a true campaign style, single player story experience but when the mode is advertised as "YOUR story" and the story is mostly linear and predetermined it kills the immersion.

I would atleast like the opportunity skip the cut scenes and story centric aspects of the mode and go right into the traditional my career/my player content. My favorite part of the mode last year was once the "spike Lee joint" part of the mode was finished .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1
Wow there is a lot of dislike in here 2k keep doing you I can see myself playing multiple seasons unlike previous version where I get bored after 3 games I like that I lm touted as one of the better players in the league and I play like a rookie with 15pts 9 ast and about 3 stls a game I will get better and I will earn more xp I don't mind the grind and my guy has been pretty dope out the gate don't know what y'all are doin different lol. Also this has me way more immersed than madden and the shows single player so please keep doing you 2k! Someone somewhere will always be unhappy with what you do lol I'm just not one of them today

But I do have one suggestion do a single career mode with out show deals and endorsements and all the frill for the guys out there who just want to be boring and play there game in and game out and get some shoes tie it into my league somehow just a thought for the guys that can't "relate" to the guy and don't like all the cool cutscenes and stuff just my 2 cents
Old 10-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
Rookie

No reason for the 55 starting OVR other than to funnel frustrated users to purchasing VC.

Add the insane push to monetize on VC -- basically pimping an entire mode to it -- to the myriad bugs and glitches in gameplay and you have a company that put out a broken game while at the same time whispering in your ear to give them more money...!

I support 2k's right to have VC and I have not bought a single VC credit, so I'm not hating or saying they're "forcing" you to do anything. But the combination of a game released with so many problems, LEGITIMATELY broken features, and the VC push in MyCareer has me bailing ship.

I will NOT buy 2k next year unless significant changes are made to VC and the game's core features are confirmed to work out of the box.

The state of things right now is DESPICABLE and DISRESPECTFUL to customers.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #24
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22
Wow you complained about it being unrealistic and then gave them a ton of money to make your player better and more realistic??
Sounds like you did exactly what they wanted you to do. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »