Home

MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem

This is a discussion on MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
I love when people say 'put in the work' on a video game. A $60 sticker price should give you a player with a base rating that at least matches the narrative being told. Show me an example of a lottery pick that was rated below 60 their rookie year in 2k
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #42
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Re: MyCareer Has a Realism Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpats
I love when people say 'put in the work' on a video game. A $60 sticker price should give you a player with a base rating that at least matches the narrative being told. Show me an example of a lottery pick that was rated below 60 their rookie year in 2k
#1 pick Kwame Brown's rookie stats:

4.5ppg/3.5rebs/0.8assists/ 38.7 FG% and they played him less than 15 minutes per game lol

Real life scenario, where the 2k community would lose their minds over. Franchise player, certainly played like a below 60 rated player
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #43
Rookie

Cognitive dissonance. People who make games need to learn what it is.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodMuzik
#1 pick Kwame Brown's rookie stats:

4.5ppg/3.5rebs/0.8assists/ 38.7 FG% and they played him less than 15 minutes per game lol

Real life scenario, where the 2k community would lose their minds over. Franchise player, certainly played like a below 60 rated player
Sometimes the scout miss. The difference between real life Kwame Brown and virtual life 'Pres' is that the commentary still paints Pres as a transformative player who is weeks away, at best, from being a top 10 player within the current league. That's really not the case as you're playing.

As always, thanks for reading and commenting on the piece! I really appreciate it!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #45
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbyStan
Sometimes the scout miss. The difference between real life Kwame Brown and virtual life 'Pres' is that the commentary still paints Pres as a transformative player who is weeks away, at best, from being a top 10 player within the current league. That's really not the case as you're playing.

As always, thanks for reading and commenting on the piece! I really appreciate it!
Here's the thing too, I'm under the impression, that any player drafted in the 1st round... their agent, friends, family, and themselves really believe they're going to have a great career. So the narrative is more often than not, there.

The other thing, it IS a video game, so the game is designed for the player to have the experience and the excitement that they're going to be the NEXT BIG THING. Because it's a video game experience to entice and excite the gamer.

To the people that buy this game ONLY for the MYCAREER GAME MODE... I understand your frustration.

But there is no shortage of VC.
It is given to you in every game mode.

If you play a MyLeague game, about 1000 VC. If you play a MyGM game, that's about 1000 VC. Oh you accomplished a goal by your owner, here's some more VC, if you simmed your whole season and hit some goals, have some more instant VC. If you play MyTEAM, here's 1000 VC. If you play Blacktop, here's some VC. You want to just [i]PlayNow? Here's 1000 VC. Online MyLeague with your friends, here's another 1000 VC per game.

Oh you pre-ordered? Here's 5000 (minimum) VC

And for every game you play in MyCareer, here's 400-900 VC.

You get VC by playing 2k17, and you can spend it however, and wherever you want.

You can save a bunch of VC and use it all on your MyPlayer if you want before you even play an NBA game.

There's no shortage of VC if you're enjoying the game as a whole.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #46
Rookie

What some people need to realize is that earning VC is different for a lot of people. Some can earn it pretty fast because they play on Hall of Fame difficulty and get a X amount multiplier added to the game score, but not everyone is good enough at the game to play it at that difficulty. If you are that poor bastard who has to play the game on rookie you only get half of the VC you earned for a game. But the attribute points cost the same for the guys playing on HoF as the guys playing om rookie. The grind is therefore so much bigger for the guys who aren't that skilled at the game.

I have always thought it was really stupid that everyone around you reacts and threats you as if you and the second coming of Jesus and were the lovechild of Michael Jordan and LeBron James, while your skills are closer to Michael Bolton and Etta James. Of course you shouldn't be a 95 overall player right out of college, but you're supposed to be the potential future franchise player everyone around you is talking about. What player has ever been talked about as a future franchise player while being the least skilled player in his draft class? A player talked about the way "Pres" is presented should be in the 75 to 80 range coming into the NBA, not a borderline D-League player.

VC has for years been a dark cloud over the 2K series. It is designed to make us spend real money for virtual sleeves and shoes. I'm pretty sure the teams equipment managers provides each player with all the headbands and arm sleeves he may need, so why do we have to spend VC on it? Not to mention the fact that they never can get colors right for the team options. If you play as the Lakers you can bet your wife and children on that if the team color for you is yellow the team color for the rest of the team is purple. These are the small details that break the immersion. Shoes are the worst sinner in the VC hell 2K insist on putting us through every year. A custom colorway pair of Adidas shoes I made would cost me 7500 VC. So if I wanted to make a home and away option, you know since there in most cases are different base colors used home and away, this would cost me 15.000 VC. It's just ridiculous.

The one VC related thing they did back down at a couple of years ago was the franchise mode, which was totally unplayable because of the VC walls they put in place. Then you had to "upgrade" your GM to be able to do a simple thing such as make a lineup change.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #47
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStian
What some people need to realize is that earning VC is different for a lot of people. Some can earn it pretty fast because they play on Hall of Fame difficulty and get a X amount multiplier added to the game score, but not everyone is good enough at the game to play it at that difficulty. If you are that poor bastard who has to play the game on rookie you only get half of the VC you earned for a game. But the attribute points cost the same for the guys playing on HoF as the guys playing om rookie. The grind is therefore so much bigger for the guys who aren't that skilled at the game.

I have always thought it was really stupid that everyone around you reacts and threats you as if you and the second coming of Jesus and were the lovechild of Michael Jordan and LeBron James, while your skills are closer to Michael Bolton and Etta James. Of course you shouldn't be a 95 overall player right out of college, but you're supposed to be the potential future franchise player everyone around you is talking about. What player has ever been talked about as a future franchise player while being the least skilled player in his draft class? A player talked about the way "Pres" is presented should be in the 75 to 80 range coming into the NBA, not a borderline D-League player.

VC has for years been a dark cloud over the 2K series. It is designed to make us spend real money for virtual sleeves and shoes. I'm pretty sure the teams equipment managers provides each player with all the headbands and arm sleeves he may need, so why do we have to spend VC on it? Not to mention the fact that they never can get colors right for the team options. If you play as the Lakers you can bet your wife and children on that if the team color for you is yellow the team color for the rest of the team is purple. These are the small details that break the immersion. Shoes are the worst sinner in the VC hell 2K insist on putting us through every year. A custom colorway pair of Adidas shoes I made would cost me 7500 VC. So if I wanted to make a home and away option, you know since there in most cases are different base colors used home and away, this would cost me 15.000 VC. It's just ridiculous.

The one VC related thing they did back down at a couple of years ago was the franchise mode, which was totally unplayable because of the VC walls they put in place. Then you had to "upgrade" your GM to be able to do a simple thing such as make a lineup change.
In that case, there isn't any incentive for any game to have extras that need to be earned or attained.

Call of Duty or Battlefield? Your military would supply you with the armament you need right? So walk into battle with whichever gun and armor you choose, it needs to be made be available to all then.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #48
Rookie

Soze Mucky's Arena

i dont even bother playing a new player without buying 75,000 vc to get him to a decent level. another thing that pissed me off today is i got drafted to the raptors as a point guard, so me and justice young will be replacing lowry and derozan as starters rofl... such bull****.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »