Home

MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem

This is a discussion on MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #49
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: MyCareer Has a Realism Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodMuzik
In that case, there isn't any incentive for any game to have extras that need to be earned or attained.

Call of Duty or Battlefield? Your military would supply you with the armament you need right? So walk into battle with whichever gun and armor you choose, it needs to be made be available to all then.
It really is a little ridiculous the way "Prez" is hyped early on tho. The whole "60 seconds with Jason Richman" or whatever it's called...for a guy that has the skill set of a late 2nd rounder, in a draft class with Simmons, Ingram, & Dunn... Why does anyone know who "Prez" is? He'd project to have a more Jeremy Lin "outta no where" type arrival than someone who's being hyped. Not covered entering into the draft. Hyped, media coverage talking about his signing day decision coming out of HS -- for a dude that can't dribble, can't shoot, could barely run, got the vertical of someone sitting in a bean bag chair..

C'mon lol. You serious?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #50
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
It really is a little ridiculous the way "Prez" is hyped early on tho. The whole "60 seconds with Jason Richman" or whatever it's called...for a guy that has the skill set of a late 2nd rounder, in a draft class with Simmons, Ingram, & Dunn... Why does anyone know who "Prez" is? He'd project to have a more Jeremy Lin "outta no where" type arrival than someone who's being hyped. Not covered entering into the draft. Hyped, media coverage talking about his signing day decision coming out of HS -- for a dude that can't dribble, can't shoot, could barely run, got the vertical of someone sitting in a bean bag chair..

C'mon lol. You serious?
Remember when Sebastion Telfair was hyped to take over the league WITH LeBron James? Lol Stephen Marbury had a whole documentary about him too.

Andrew Wiggins: toted as the "Next LeBron James"

1 year later Ben Simmons still in college called the "Next LeBron James", then taken #1 in the draft.

No one knows how these guys are going to turn out, hell Simmons just broke his foot we don't know if he'll end up being very good at all.

The media is never shy about giving a guy NBA Great comparisons and trying to find the next big thing. Most often the media falls on its face, as does that player.

And again, for being drafted as a 55 overall, for all the hype Pres gets, without being able to run, shoot, dribble, layup... you can still by the end of your ROOKIE SEASON finish with an average 27ppg 7 assists and 8 Rebounds with probably 3 steals and 2 blocks. Lol it's a game, your overall doesn't dictate everything.

Last edited by MoodMuzik; 10-03-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #51
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

Quote:
Remember when Sebastion Telfair was hyped to take over the league WITH LeBron James? Lol Stephen Marbury had a whole documentary about him too.
Yet they both had hoops skills & showed potential.

Like I said, your MyCareer dude starts with attributes in the 40s. Who's making a documentary about the kid who can't dribble, shoot, board, or play D, in HS?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #52
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Quote:
Yet they both had hoops skills & showed potential.

Like I said, your MyCareer dude starts with attributes in the 40s. Who's making a documentary about the kid who can't dribble, shoot, board, or play D, in HS?
And like I said, it's video game, so you can still nearly average a triple double your rookie season as a 55 overall lol
Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #53
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

Quote:
And like I said, it's video game, so you can still nearly average a triple double your rookie season as a 55 overall lol
Title of the thread is "MyCareer Has a Realism Problem" - seems like somewhere along the lines you got away from that.

All I'm asking is "when does an unskilled(according to the ratings) basketball player get noticed out of HS the way Pres does?"

You started talking about Wiggins -- clearly has basketball talent & potential. Came into the league athletic af. Came in with his jumper surprisingly further along than most thought it would be.

Then Simmons -- comes into the league with a combo of size, athleticism, court vision, and handling the ball, that *can* be something special for years to come.

And then there's Pres. No discernible basketball talent that separates him from your average joe you'd find competitively hooping on the weekends, maybe even in your amateur leagues strewn across the country...but in 2K, he's the next big thing. The nation wants to know which school he's picking. Coach K wants...no...NEEDS him on Team USA.

And that's a realistic package...

Either have the attributes match the story, or ditch the story & let us make our own destiny.

Don't tell us we're the next coming of Uncle Drew while possessing the basketball skills of an older dude who's nieces & nephews call him "uncle drew"
Old 10-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Last year, you “Lived the Dream.” This year you experienced your “Prelude” to greatness. Both of these modes in Visual Concepts’ NBA 2K franchise were supposed to acclimate and immerse you into the game’s premier mode, MyCareer. Both years had you assume a player whose visage and role you could create, but whose persona was already determined via the story mode crafted by Visual Concepts. I’m not here to talk about the merits of last year’s “movie of the week” presentation (personally, I liked it) or this year’s evolved version that grants you much more control over your player during your rookie NBA season.

I’m here to talk about something else. Just like last year, your guy. You. The President of basketball, aka Pres, flat out SUCKS!

Read More - MyCareer Has a Realism Problem
that definitely reminds me of something...
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...put-words.html
Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #55
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Quote:
Title of the thread is "MyCareer Has a Realism Problem" - seems like somewhere along the lines you got away from that.

All I'm asking is "when does an unskilled(according to the ratings) basketball player get noticed out of HS the way Pres does?"

You started talking about Wiggins -- clearly has basketball talent & potential. Came into the league athletic af. Came in with his jumper surprisingly further along than most thought it would be.

Then Simmons -- comes into the league with a combo of size, athleticism, court vision, and handling the ball, that *can* be something special for years to come.

And then there's Pres. No discernible basketball talent that separates him from your average joe you'd find competitively hooping on the weekends, maybe even in your amateur leagues strewn across the country...but in 2K, he's the next big thing. The nation wants to know which school he's picking. Coach K wants...no...NEEDS him on Team USA.

And that's a realistic package...

Either have the attributes match the story, or ditch the story & let us make our own destiny.

Don't tell us we're the next coming of Uncle Drew while possessing the basketball skills of an older dude who's nieces & nephews call him "uncle drew"
I get where everyone is coming from, but "MyCareer Has a Realism Problem" is going to always be around.

Case in point, you can average 30/5/5 just by getting starting minutes over the course of your rookie season as a 55-65 overall. That's unrealistic.

If we come in the league as let's say a 75, good skill set but tremendous upside... well... that just means we can now average 40/10/10 lol. And win the next MVP, FMVP, and Rookie of the Year and do the same for the next 12 years for 12 rings in 12 Finals appearances without even having to increase our overall at all, and the more we add on our skills and badges... the more all of the above happens lol. And that's a realism problem.

Being a Tireless Scorer having 35 ppg then you get the double team but your GOLD Dimer badge let's you hit up your SG in the corner for your 11th assist and the next time you do it your GOLD Hustle Rebounder let's you snag the rebound for your 12th rebound and your Scrapper badge let's you put it bag in for 2 more points with the foul... lol realism problem. Which is why I like the Archetypes if they can find a happy community balance.

Unless 2K drastically changes the game, MyCareer is going to have a Realism Problem. But it's a game, so they have balance fun and challenge, but also let the user do what they want.

All in all, give me Roster Edit and Sliders for MyCareer, and we're all good lol.

Last edited by MoodMuzik; 10-03-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #56
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:

Andrew Wiggins: toted as the "Next LeBron James"

1 year later Ben Simmons still in college called the "Next LeBron James", then taken #1 in the draft.

No one knows how these guys are going to turn out, hell Simmons just broke his foot we don't know if he'll end up being very good at all.

The media is never shy about giving a guy NBA Great comparisons and trying to find the next big thing. Most often the media falls on its face, as does that player.

And again, for being drafted as a 55 overall, for all the hype Pres gets, without being able to run, shoot, dribble, layup... you can still by the end of your ROOKIE SEASON finish with an average 27ppg 7 assists and 8 Rebounds with probably 3 steals and 2 blocks. Lol it's a game, your overall doesn't dictate everything.
I think this is key. My player is a A 6'5" playmaking poing guard currently rated a 69 after 25 games.

Yet I'm averaging 23 points, 8 reb, 13 ast, 3 stl, 3 to, shooting 55/42/75.

I just take good high quality shots and try to set up my teammates. Despite my "rating" this guy is worthy of the hype. Won a couple player of the weeks, one player of the month and am first in all star voting for east back court players.

I'm playing on All Star but if you want to dominate, do like my gf who doesn't watch basketball and has never played 2K and put it on Rookie. She's averaging 29 points, 12 assists, 7 steals, lol. Was drafted 2nd to the Lakers too. Why is the overall number important? Are people to proud to put it on rookie?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »