Home

Issues with 2K e-league being on a different build of the game?

This is a discussion on Issues with 2K e-league being on a different build of the game? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #25
MVP

ph33's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Issues with 2K e-league being on a different build of the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetz
I’m quite tired of the whining that goes on over this video game. The maxim will always hold true “you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.” 2K owes us nothing besides an equal exchange of value which would be the $60 paid for the video game. Everything else is extra. $250,000 tournament open to the public who have all reached legal age EXTRA. Learn to roll with it and stop whining and crying about the haves and have-nots.

They don’t need to let you practice on a similar build to the e-Sports because they don’t have to. The staff at 2K has planned these events and have hosted them successfully (see last years tournament.) if you disagree strongly about how it takes place, maybe this isn’t the tournament for you and you should move along to one of the many other games mentioned.
Nah. "Learn to roll with it and stop whining" is exactly what they want their customers to do, so they can get away with whatever they want. Sorry, the rest of us aren't going to roll over just because you're satisfied.

Back to the discussion ... Jeebs, I'm a bit lost and maybe misinterpreting. You say "all of them" But what other games have a different meta when it comes to competitive/casual?

DOTA and CS are good examples. Same game for everyone no matter the scene. When I play DOTA I can only play with people in the slums tiers, because that's my level. When I play against good players, they're going to whoop my *** because they are THAT good at the game and know the small details much better than I. But it's not because they've been playing a different version of the game. It's because they're amazing. Likewise, in CS. An ak-47 doesn't have different recoil in casual than it does competitive. And so when you watch competitive players play and what makes them good, you can try to infuse the same elements in your own game to try to improve a little at a time.

As others said ... they seem to have some different mode for people who are trying to qualify. It'd be wonderful if they opened this up to everybody else. Do they owe it to us? I guess not. Nobody is obligated to anything. Everybody differs on how much they feel like they got out of the money they spent for the base game. But I think it'd be pretty silly for them to exclude people rather than include.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #26
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ShowTime2
We are also here
Spoiler
Keep waiting.... Lol

The build isn't going to be the "best". That's subjective lol. It's probably going to be like 2k 16.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #27
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Keep waiting.... Lol

The build isn't going to be the "best". That's subjective lol. It's probably going to be like 2k 16.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
No need to distract. You dont have an example for an esports game thats works with different builds for the public and competitive environment, no need for further discussion.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #28
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I had little interest in following the 2K E-League because I assumed that gameplay would boil down to silly tactics and sharpshooter contests. If it's true that they'll be playing under different settings than the rest of us, then I really want to see how that plays out. If it's another step closer to realism, then I'm all for it. Assuming that the rest of us get that experience the same thing at some point as well.

I don't follow a ton of E-Leagues, but I'm very familiar with Rainbow Six Siege, Street Fighter, and Tekken. The fun in watching these games played at a high level is seeing what's possible, and maybe trying to add bits and pieces to your own game. I think it's pretty silly to think that the majority of these competitions are played under completely different circumstances than they normally are. NBA 2K would have to be one of the few going this route, if anyone else is at all.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 01-23-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

It makes little to no sense to have the way to qualify and the what youre qualifying into on different game builds. Of course some players will be better or worse on different game builds. Why would they not keep it consistent or at the very least make both games build available for play when the tournament starts?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #30
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Interesting topic....TBH my opinion has evolved as i've read the different responses but I will say this...an e-sports build makes sense. It says: we know our game has issues and we dont want to see these things exposed on the highest stage.

I def get it.

So I'm OK with it...here's the thing: I want the best possible version of the game as well. Not in the spoiled customer-is-always-right sense, either. I just want to play the best version of basketball 2K offers. Those same cheesy things that 2K doesnt want to see on a broadcast with thousands watching?

I dont want to see that stuff when i'm online either. Wanting to experience the best version of hoops is a good thing....there's absolutely no harm in it.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by Kushmir; 01-23-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #31
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayellis
It makes little to no sense to have the way to qualify and the what youre qualifying into on different game builds. Of course some players will be better or worse on different game builds. Why would they not keep it consistent or at the very least make both games build available for play when the tournament starts?
Well for 2k18 they have decided to go this way apparently. Pretty sure they will release this build in april so the teams have time to practice on this. If they dont release it also to the public then im sure theyll use it as the base for 2k19. Its makes no sense to work with two different builds in an esports game. It takes more development ressources, you have to maintain two release versions, it may take away some causal viewers who dont want to watch the competitive players play a different game than they play themselves and its harder to balance because you lose all the feedback from the players that play your game daily.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
You currently have people trying out on a game filled with exploits right now. Why not fix the game for EVERYBODY and allow people to try out under the new mechanics and gameplay. Who cares if someone discovers a new exploit. 2k needs to work with a sense of urgency to nerf or fix it. It's that simple.
All of the major gameplay exploits in 2K18 have been well-known for several months now and 2K has done nothing to address any of them. The lack of gameplay-related patches this year has been extremely disappointing. It would be a shame if only 85 people get to play a version of this game that isn't completely dominated by a few cheesy animations (blowby, snatchback, elite 3 escape dribble spam letting people teleport side to side like Raiden from Mortal Kombat, behind the back dribbles clipping through defenders' bodies instead of knocking the ball loose, holding the set screen button in the paint to get position).

Quote:
A similar situation happened in 2K16 where the crazy full-court breakstarter passes that most teams were abusing to rack up high point totals weren't patched until the final weekend of qualifying for the $250,000 tournament.

2K17's $250,000 tournament was plagued by server lagouts, IP booters, and people being unable to play on qualifying days because their console couldn't get past the initial Paul George loading screen. Several lagouts even happened during the actual knockout rounds of the tournament.

2K just doesn't have a great history when it comes to competitive gaming.

Last edited by jyoung; 01-23-2018 at 03:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »