Home

How to prevent being punished for using the post?

This is a discussion on How to prevent being punished for using the post? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #17
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: How to prevent being punished for using the post?

I'll probably get socked in the nose for this but that just did not happen on previous 2K Games

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #18
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
I'll probably get socked in the nose for this but that just did not happen on previous 2K Games

You still got hip blocked, but the animation where people jump into you and you pretend you got stripped wasn't there.

If anything, the blocking is better than last year. Someone's left nipple could touch the ball and it'd fly out of bounds in 2k17
Old 01-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #19
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Yea, it's counter-intuitive and unrealistic. No one can refute that.

Some people just think it's balanced. I don't know if it's balanced, either. It might have been worse before.

I am 100% sure they could fix the post, but it would require effort. It needs to work differently than other contests. Needs to be more about angles than fading away from people or drop stepping. Drop step is the only way you can really pin someone or get a body animation, where as in actual post play, you can do a lot to change where someone can contest your shot.

I just don't think we should be here in 2018. With more realistic strength, angles, body contact... the post could be played more than one way. Which is good, right?

-Smak
Do you remember what the post game was like in 2k15?

Man, I do like it was yesterday. Triangle/Y to post up. Worst thing in the world. Not to mention the defense couldn't counter to any moves.

Since 2k16 we have a counter system. Which takes into account what the defender is doing. If the defender pushes the left stick at you. He can push you out of the paint. But on offense you use the spin move to leave him. I could go on and on about each moves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24

No one will sucker punch you. Promise lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
You still got hip blocked, but the animation where people jump into you and you pretend you got stripped wasn't there.

If anything, the blocking is better than last year. Someone's left nipple could touch the ball and it'd fly out of bounds in 2k17
24th letter and I explained this in another thread.

2k16: a foul fest. If you jumped and the offensive player shot and pressed left stick into you. It was foul. Every single time...

2k17: Nothing would happen.

2k18: Defender can make contact with the ball. But the offensive player still has control of the out come.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 0

I don’t give a damn what anyone says, if you get pumpfaked into the air by the offensive player, it deserves to be a foul. It can be abused? Yeah, only if your stupid *** keeps jumping.

The ONLY problem with it in 2k16 was that 2k would sometimes make you auto jump with no button input needed from the defender. Remove that, and it balances out. Bad defense needs to be punished.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #21
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinevos
Tbh once u get the badges up, they work pretty good in mycareer.
Made a mixtape of my games from yesterday, and i dont even have hof badges

And 2k basketball =/= real life basketball

The sky hook aint that broken tbh, just good timing and be relatively open.
here's some footage from my park games from yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGjo...ature=youtu.be
Man that was a great video!! You got the post game on lock!
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2018, 11:42 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Do you remember what the post game was like in 2k15?
yea, I mean, I've primarily played post in online 5 on 5 gaming. I never played 'cheesy' like just pulling fades from 18 feet. 'Banging' with people in bball video games is one of my favorite things, getting good position for an easy score (or used to be easy) or sealing people for an easy board.

It's not like I can't score, but as time went on, getting people in the paint and killing them with aggressive (toward the rim, even angled around them, but still into them) post moves kind of died. They would have been better off fixing it by adding a proper counter than to just make you miss bunnies under the rim.

Like dude who did that hop step in the first video. That's probably a hop step that could never be pulled off in real life (because he warped through the area the guy was occupying and pushed him back.) They let it happen, but then it makes him blow the lay up. That affects 'real' post play, too.

Remember that video they posted of Kareem on Muggsy doing sky hooks right under the rim? That's ridiculous. The game treats those as bad shots or 'forces.' That's the crux of it. You can't have shots like that be 'bad shots' because then no 'good player' would ever take that shot, but they are shots people take every game.

Arguably, having people take those type of shots as well as 'contested' other shots are essential for simulation outcomes.

I think people have this idea that people who complain about the post game are just forcing shots and have no ability to do nuanced moves. That's not true. But it can often times turn a nuanced finish into a block or an animation that doesn't accurately portray what you meant to do, like how you pointed the stick. Or it goes through but the game decides it's a force and makes it roll off.

-Smak
Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 AM   #23
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
I don’t give a damn what anyone says, if you get pumpfaked into the air by the offensive player, it deserves to be a foul. It can be abused? Yeah, only if your stupid *** keeps jumping.

The ONLY problem with it in 2k16 was that 2k would sometimes make you auto jump with no button input needed from the defender. Remove that, and it balances out. Bad defense needs to be punished.
You can't have that. What happens is the users just keeps trying to make these single out comes? It's not about the fouls here. It's the fact that the user focus becomes getting a foul. You might have seen my video from the last thread from 2k16 where the user keeps taking Rondo into the paint. Backing down Curry trying to get me to jump. Over and over for 3 possessions. It's not sound game play if it's automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Man that was a great video!! You got the post game on lock!
That's what I said. And have been trying to say for a few threads now. The best part is he's doing this without badges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
yea, I mean, I've primarily played post in online 5 on 5 gaming. I never played 'cheesy' like just pulling fades from 18 feet. 'Banging' with people in bball video games is one of my favorite things, getting good position for an easy score (or used to be easy) or sealing people for an easy board.

It's not like I can't score, but as time went on, getting people in the paint and killing them with aggressive (toward the rim, even angled around them, but still into them) post moves kind of died. They would have been better off fixing it by adding a proper counter than to just make you miss bunnies under the rim.

Like dude who did that hop step in the first video. That's probably a hop step that could never be pulled off in real life (because he warped through the area the guy was occupying and pushed him back.) They let it happen, but then it makes him blow the lay up. That affects 'real' post play, too.

Remember that video they posted of Kareem on Muggsy doing sky hooks right under the rim? That's ridiculous. The game treats those as bad shots or 'forces.' That's the crux of it. You can't have shots like that be 'bad shots' because then no 'good player' would ever take that shot, but they are shots people take every game.

Arguably, having people take those type of shots as well as 'contested' other shots are essential for simulation outcomes.

I think people have this idea that people who complain about the post game are just forcing shots and have no ability to do nuanced moves. That's not true. But it can often times turn a nuanced finish into a block or an animation that doesn't accurately portray what you meant to do, like how you pointed the stick. Or it goes through but the game decides it's a force and makes it roll off.

-Smak
The post up game is my baby. It's been my baby since the beginning. I remember posting a video showing all 4 post moves from 2k10 with KG lol. That's when we had Reel Maker. Made things so easy for me lol.

Smak, have you looked into using post up jab steps?

We are going into competitive gaming. All they ask you is to create space.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

I consider myself as elite post scorer and I know how to avoid body-blocks but they still happen and defender is rewarded for nothing! It is not fair because I make really cool moves and fooling defender, he feels like he can't keep up with what I'm doing and just jumping around and eventually getting body-block or stripping the ball because of that bump animation.

Mike Wang if you read this, I ask you to at least give to this issue another look for 2k19. Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »