Home

NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki

This is a discussion on NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdaddy
Not saying Phil never said it, but Steve Kerr does this as well, might have even gotten it from his time playing for Phil. With the right players, it definitely is valuable.

On the flip side, Pop does this when a team scores 4-6 quick points. I believe in Andre Iguodala's book he talks about how frustrating it is because he stops the run before it even becomes a run.
I fall into the Pop camp here, at least when it comes to playing the CPU in 2K. Now usually in this case I also already have adjustments in mind so I just need a breather to set everything up.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
SOme of the best advice I have ever seen

When to Call Timeout in NBA2K - Coach2K https://www.coach2k.com/2014/06/when...-in-nba2k.html
To expand upon this, in my experience I have found that it helps me to consider my own mental and physical state as the person behind the controller.

If I find myself as a player starting to become frustrated or angry IRL with the way the game is going, I will call a timeout. Taking 60 seconds to cool down,collect myself, and re focus works much better for me than playing angry.Many people won't call a TO because they are feeling the rush; I think this often leads into an endless self feeding loop of frustration leading to reckless play and back to frustration.

As much you might want to, don't skip any Timeouts either, especially in full games. That's 48 minutes of basketball, which is a long stretch to stay focused.I think you'll be surprised how much more consistently you will play if you take those moments to just breathe and relax for 60 seconds instead of skipping through to race back into the action.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 9
Icon14 Re: NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
To expand upon this, in my experience I have found that it helps me to consider my own mental and physical state as the person behind the controller.

If I find myself as a player starting to become frustrated or angry IRL with the way the game is going, I will call a timeout. Taking 60 seconds to cool down,collect myself, and re focus works much better for me than playing angry.Many people won't call a TO because they are feeling the rush; I think this often leads into an endless self feeding loop of frustration leading to reckless play and back to frustration.

As much you might want to, don't skip any Timeouts either, especially in full games. That's 48 minutes of basketball, which is a long stretch to stay focused.I think you'll be surprised how much more consistently you will play if you take those moments to just breathe and relax for 60 seconds instead of skipping through to race back into the action.
Best advice I've heard in a long time
Old 04-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #20
a goat

duce's Arena

Couple questions:
Are there specific steps, you guys think could be taken by 2K gameplay to make the game more sim?
How do you guys account for shorter quarter lengths? (ex. I've been seeing issues with fatigue not causing significant ability drop off, lowered foul out count, etc.).
Old 04-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duce
Couple questions:
Are there specific steps, you guys think could be taken by 2K gameplay to make the game more sim?
How do you guys account for shorter quarter lengths? (ex. I've been seeing issues with fatigue not causing significant ability drop off, lowered foul out count, etc.).
Lower foul count is definitely a good idea to rebalance for short quarters.

I think part of the problem with fatigue is too many players are badged in a way that counteracts low stamina, so they can stay out there forever.You might be able to play with the fatigue rate slider to compensate, or use a roster that rebalances badges for sim play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #22
Rookie

Does anyone know how to induce CPU to make realistic or close to realistic amount of non-shooting fouls?

Default state is pretty bad. I think about 20% max of all fouls are non-shooting. And even with that, total amount of fouls is pretty low.

Fouls under the basket are to often, its could be lowered by sliders, but then the total amount of fouls would be even lower than currently, which is too low.

Ideal would be to have much more non-shooting fouls, less shooting ones under the basket.

Foul-trouble is an important tactic in basketball.
Here its out of the story, at least for CPU.

Last edited by Vedreanu; 04-25-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #23
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by duce
Couple questions:
Solid thread. Many of us have said for quite some time that since PNO is a scaled down version of the game, that fouls/penalty/fatigue also have to be be scaled. Just as one example, teams should be in the penalty on the 3rd foul--players should be DQ on the 4th.

I'm a little torn on a few of the other suggestions. My general rule of thumb is 1) "gameplay has to be able to handle it first" and 2) it can't require self-governing...too many users aren't willing to operate on the rule-set you have in your head....its why years later people still credit Madden's Fair Play Rules.

100% on-ball D? That sounds good until you realize how bad off-ball AI is (see transition D for proof) Most elite players have a number of plays that will confuse AI defenders...if you're 100% on-ball and ignore plays for cutters or shooters you're TOAST against high-level comp.

Lets not forget how long a simple PNR resulted in help defense leaving shooters in the corner 100% of the time....unless the other guy is manipulating the AI, its probably best to let him play D how he likes.

Timeouts? Errrr.....I dunno gang. Can gameplay handle that? Say your best defender is at PG and you put him on Lebron. We still can't designate a secondary/tertiary defender when that person sits or match the opponents sub pattern (sit Simmons when Lebron sits for instance) the result is guys like Raul Neto or Trey Burke matched up on The King--not ideal.

On-The-Fly defensive options are still really clunky and costly when the opponent is average much less an elite player....the only option in situations like those is to call a timeout to avoid disaster.

Last edited by Kushmir; 05-01-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Solid thread. Many of us have said for quite some time that since PNO is a scaled down version of the game, that fouls/penalty/fatigue also have to be be scaled. Just as one example, teams should be in the penalty on the 3rd foul--players should be DQ on the 4th.
Taking this further since there is a RL parallel we can reference here....The typical NBA is 48 minutes; NCAA games are 40 minutes and most HS games are 32 minutes.

In both the NCAA and in HS, the foul limit is 5.In this case an actual precedence does exist to modify the foul limit.

Translating this to 2K,a case can be made that games with 8-10 minute quarters should have a foul limit of 5.If you made the games even shorter (4-6 minute quarters) a foul limit or 4 or possibly even 3 would IMO, be appropriate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »