Home

Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

This is a discussion on Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
Rookie

sperlz_99's Arena

OVR: 0

Every game I play on any difficulty. Just give the ball to deangelo Russell and the cpu cant defend him and don't make the changes required to stop him from getting easy access to the basket. Really hope the devs have a look at this.

This is ps5 gameplay as of 11/25

https://youtu.be/c2dVFebBSgA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

I'm super frustrated with this as well.

I'm glad they fixed the defender hedge issue where he would run away from the ball but the defender still cant get into position to help and I can score pretty much every possession with a fast player coming off a pick.

Last night I had some success by increasing cpu lateral speed to 100.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
Pro

Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperlz_99
Every game I play on any difficulty. Just give the ball to deangelo Russell and the cpu cant defend him and don't make the changes required to stop him from getting easy access to the basket. Really hope the devs have a look at this.

This is ps5 gameplay as of 11/25

https://youtu.be/c2dVFebBSgA
It's fixable if you play offline. Yiu may not want to do this, but you have to lower acceleration and speed with ball slider. That way the cpu has enough time to react because the ball handler won't be as fast. Its a bandaid, but it works.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

If you lower acceleration and boost lateral quickness does this make normal iso defence too tough? Curious if guys can find a slider fix for this.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
Rookie

sperlz_99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
It's fixable if you play offline. Yiu may not want to do this, but you have to lower acceleration and speed with ball slider. That way the cpu has enough time to react because the ball handler won't be as fast. Its a bandaid, but it works.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

Definitely not an ideal workaround but could be a temporary solution. What number did you lower these too and did you do it for the cpu as well? Might at least stop the cpu with some of the paint cheese that they do in offense too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

A lot of sliders go into this. First would be to increase the Speed/Accel WITHOUT Ball (Min) settings so that slow players don’t move like they’re stuck in mud (they’ll still be slow, but these are NBA players; they’re not THAT slow). I’d set these to 50 or 55, depending on personal preference and skill level.

Next would be to increase the Contest Shot tendency. I have this at 100 for both USER and CPU. Likewise you’ll need to increase the Drive/Inside Contact Shot Frequency sliders to 100 for both as well so that nearby defenders actually trigger an animation when contesting shots inside.

You’ll also want to make sure Help Defense Strength, On Ball Defense, and Defensive Awareness are all increased to at least 70 or 75, but could probably go even higher depending on your skill level. Note that these three do NOT have to be set to the same value, but I wouldn’t set any one of them lower than 70 for the CPU.

Last, decrease the Acceleration slider to around 35. This is important as it will add a more weighted feel to movement on both ends of the court, will help to further highlight the difference between the fastest and slowest players on the court, while not outright nerfing acceleration in its entirety.

Lateral Quickness really won’t help with this issue. Think of LQ as the blow-by slider, because it really just controls how quickly a player can turn a tight corner when defending the drive. If it’s set low, almost any player can just blow past them and drive to the hoop. Set high, they’ll stick with the player and even force them away from basket (depending on the matchup between dribbler and defender).

Try all this out and let me know how it goes, and we can tweak from there. If it becomes too easy to hit the big as he cuts to the basket or leaks out for a shot, you’ll have to increase the Play Passing Lane tendency. If the defenders still don’t put up enough resistance at the rim, we’ll have to increase the Layup Defense Strength sliders as well.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
Rookie

sperlz_99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
A lot of sliders go into this. First would be to increase the Speed/Accel WITHOUT Ball (Min) settings so that slow players don’t move like they’re stuck in mud (they’ll still be slow, but these are NBA players; they’re not THAT slow). I’d set these to 50 or 55, depending on personal preference and skill level.

Next would be to increase the Contest Shot tendency. I have this at 100 for both USER and CPU. Likewise you’ll need to increase the Drive/Inside Contact Shot Frequency sliders to 100 for both as well so that nearby defenders actually trigger an animation when contesting shots inside.

You’ll also want to make sure Help Defense Strength, On Ball Defense, and Defensive Awareness are all increased to at least 70 or 75, but could probably go even higher depending on your skill level. Note that these three do NOT have to be set to the same value, but I wouldn’t set any one of them lower than 70 for the CPU.

Last, decrease the Acceleration slider to around 35. This is important as it will add a more weighted feel to movement on both ends of the court, will help to further highlight the difference between the fastest and slowest players on the court, while not outright nerfing acceleration in its entirety.

Lateral Quickness really won’t help with this issue. Think of LQ as the blow-by slider, because it really just controls how quickly a player can turn a tight corner when defending the drive. If it’s set low, almost any player can just blow past them and drive to the hoop. Set high, they’ll stick with the player and even force them away from basket (depending on the matchup between dribbler and defender).

Try all this out and let me know how it goes, and we can tweak from there. If it becomes too easy to hit the big as he cuts to the basket or leaks out for a shot, you’ll have to increase the Play Passing Lane tendency. If the defenders still don’t put up enough resistance at the rim, we’ll have to increase the Layup Defense Strength sliders as well.
That seems a lot of messing around. I'm not holding out hope that pick and roll will be fixed until at least 2k22 but I hope it is because I can't play the game in the knowledge that I can freely score at will on any difficulty with a fast player
Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperlz_99
That seems a lot of messing around. I'm not holding out hope that pick and roll will be fixed until at least 2k22 but I hope it is because I can't play the game in the knowledge that I can freely score at will on any difficulty with a fast player

It is and it isn’t. Try the settings I posted and let me know if it’s any better. It can’t hurt, right?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »