Home

Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

This is a discussion on Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin32
The defense overall is just plain bad. I put every defensive attribute to the max. I put my acceleration to 0 and still got to the rim at will
https://youtu.be/gFFzhgsFIfk
https://youtu.be/tMgaaYNvSgQ
(Before u watch Mute the video. I forgot to mute the mic. Very loud noise in background)
The issue of the side line driving is 100% identical to the old gen...
Also the lateral sliding animation is the same, isn't natural even with the new (?) motion engine.

I still see a lot of old gen (too much) in this video, really worrying.

People discussing about graphics, accessory forgetting this BIG ISSUE that they are not able to fix in several years.

I hope NBA Live 2022 will be announced soon, it might give them a wake up call

Last edited by goma76; 11-29-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #26
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
The defense overall is just plain bad. I put every defensive attribute to the max. I put my acceleration to 0 and still got to the rim at will
(Before u watch Mute the video. I forgot to mute the mic. Very loud noise in background)

Increase CPU Lateral Quickness and Drive Contact Shot Frequency both to 100. Also decrease USER Speed with Ball (Max) to around 60.

The example in the 1st video really can’t be fixed though. That’s a result of the complete removal of off-ball contact animations. Since you drove in the direction of another player, the defender AI has to circle around that player before running at you because there’s an invisible force-field around all off-ball players, unless that player is setting a screen.

So what you did there is actually more affective than calling for a pick, because the AI can’t deal with static players on the perimeter
Old 11-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
Increase CPU Lateral Quickness and Drive Contact Shot Frequency both to 100. Also decrease USER Speed with Ball (Max) to around 60.

The example in the 1st video really can’t be fixed though. That’s a result of the complete removal of off-ball contact animations. Since you drove in the direction of another player, the defender AI has to circle around that player before running at you because there’s an invisible force-field around all off-ball players, unless that player is setting a screen.

So what you did there is actually more affective than calling for a pick, because the AI can’t deal with static players on the perimeter
I tried your sliders. It’s still too easy. This year may be a park/rec & play now year for my competitive edge. Driving is just not fun being it’s no skill at all. I even tried sending vids to 2k devs lol

Last edited by Quentin32; 11-29-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
it's really discouraging that the simple fundamentals of basketball aren't in place after so many iterations of this game. yet so many resources are dedicated towards park/city and sneakers & gear.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:29 AM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclazaris84
it's really discouraging that the simple fundamentals of basketball aren't in place after so many iterations of this game. yet so many resources are dedicated towards park/city and sneakers & gear.
This is evil of the game.

Gameplay is going out of focus, who cares about P&R defence and other "small" things when the major part of community is worrying about hairstyles, gears, sleeves...
Old 12-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #30
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclazaris84

This exactly, I recorded a video similar to OP's while playing NBA 2K18, so pick and roll defense wasn't fixed for 2k19, 2k20 and now 2k21 has the same problem, even though it's next gen. Amazing, and we are talking about basic fundamentals of basketball. I really don't like when someone says don't abuse it, play in a realistic way. But pick and roll is the foundation of modern basketball, that's like saying don't pass to the wings in soccer they are op. I want to play basketball, and pick and roll is a basic part of it, fix the freaking defense.

I am so glad I haven't bought 2k21, first time since 2k9 when I got a 2k for the first time that I am not playing the game at this time of the year.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #31
Pro

I've been testing a roster I found on here done by timsmooth503pa on psn. Im not sure what he did but the P&R issues have been drastically cut down. Also driving into the paint makes sense now. You have to get his slider set to match (same psn ID). Put all the movement sliders at the bottom to 70.

I could be trippin... But I haven't been seeing silly mistakes by the CPU when guarding the pick and roll. Also you get a lot less of the CPU driving the ball right into the defense with no awareness of the defenses position. Try it out of you're on the PS5.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #32
Rookie

sperlz_99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
I've been testing a roster I found on here done by timsmooth503pa on psn. Im not sure what he did but the P&R issues have been drastically cut down. Also driving into the paint makes sense now. You have to get his slider set to match (same psn ID). Put all the movement sliders at the bottom to 70.

I could be trippin... But I haven't been seeing silly mistakes by the CPU when guarding the pick and roll. Also you get a lot less of the CPU driving the ball right into the defense with no awareness of the defenses position. Try it out of you're on the PS5.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Sliders or rosters wont change the logic of the defense and I just tried these and they made absolutely zero difference to the issues shown in the original video.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »