Home

J-KITS NCAA FB SLIDERS: OS Official

This is a discussion on J-KITS NCAA FB SLIDERS: OS Official within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #97
Pro

jkits's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: J-KITS NCAA FB SLIDERS: OS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog19892
Okay so I've tried these out and uhh... they're not for me. Ironically for the opposite reasons I expected... the game is too easy.

This is going to be a long write-up but hopefully something in here will be valuable.

So I use a basic 3 game set up when trying out sliders. 1st game with near equally rated teams, 2nd game with highly lopsided ratings in my favor, and 3rd with highly lopsided ratings in the CPUs favor. Home Field Advantage and Ice The Kicker are both turned off to test for more ratings based play. While the peaks and valleys in difficulty were certainly felt in each game, the dynamics between teams were greatly off center..........
Let's just say I wasn't surprised you found these easy lol. Thanks trying'em out bro!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #98
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkits
Let's just say I wasn't surprised you found these easy lol. Thanks trying'em out bro!
I probably cheesed the hell out of these sliders but with my previous slider set cheese just wasn't on the menu. Unfortunately neither was balance or a tangible difference between high rated players and low rated ones which is why I was so interested in these.

I've probably played way too much of this game trying to get it to play in a satisfying way. I think I'm gonna have to get my strategy and team building fix by going back to XCOM. Thanks for these sliders though man!
Old 08-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #99
Pro

jkits's Arena

Quote:
I probably cheesed the hell out of these sliders but with my previous slider set cheese just wasn't on the menu. Unfortunately neither was balance or a tangible difference between high rated players and low rated ones which is why I was so interested in these.

I've probably played way too much of this game trying to get it to play in a satisfying way. I think I'm gonna have to get my strategy and team building fix by going back to XCOM. Thanks for these sliders though man!
Sure thing man, appreciate ya! Hope you end up finding your happy medium
Old 08-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #100
MVP

jp18's Arena

Quote:
Okay so I've tried these out and uhh... they're not for me. Ironically for the opposite reasons I expected... the game is too easy.

This is going to be a long write-up but hopefully something in here will be valuable.

So I use a basic 3 game set up when trying out sliders. 1st game with near equally rated teams, 2nd game with highly lopsided ratings in my favor, and 3rd with highly lopsided ratings in the CPUs favor. Home Field Advantage and Ice The Kicker are both turned off to test for more ratings based play. While the peaks and valleys in difficulty were certainly felt in each game, the dynamics between teams were greatly off center.

Teams on the left are User and CPU on the right

-------------------------

1st game - Notre Dame: 38 Tulsa: 0

This game was definitely the most normal of the three. End game stats were well within realistic numbers but the run game on both sides was lopsided.

On offense I was getting consistently good yardage on the ground. Finished the game with Josh Adams getting 147 yards on 23 carries with a 5.8 average.

On defense I had all but shut down their run game as they never broke the 50 yard mark in overall rushing yards, much less any individual player.

Passing yardage was in the mid 200s for both sides, completion percentage in the low to mid 50s with a TD and an INT on my end.

But sometimes games like this happen. I wondered if maybe it was just the way this particular game went and other games might be different...

2nd game - LSU: 91 UAB: 6

After throwing 2 interceptions in 11 attempts I found the passing game to be absolutely useless with Danny Etling at QB and abandoned it entirely. I spent at least 2 whole quarters doing nothing but running the ball up the middle every down.

I ran with Leonard Fournette for 551 yards on 56 carries for 11 TDs and a 10.6 average.

Running straight up the middle in a 4-WR shotgun formation proved unstoppable for the CPU, especially when they lined up in the quarter every single time. They fell for the shotgun formation utterly and completely. I saw a 3rd down maybe once. Broke 60 and 33 yard TD runs.

On defense I held them to -5 rushing yards overall. I sacked their quarterback 11 times and held their RB to a 1.2 yard average. I got 4 INTs, one was a pick six, and the other slipped out of his hand as he was being hit and fell right into the hands of my linebacker one yard away.

I have never dominated a team so thoroughly in this game ever. The most I'd gotten was a 77 to 3 game but even that looked realistic as the stats were very close to Ohio State's game against Bowling Green last season.

3rd game - ULM: 21 Alabama: 22

Slow and steady almost wins the race. After the results of the last game I confirmed my belief that the run game is too easy by only passing 7 times in this game and still being this close. Every drive against Bama was a rough slog, and I had to shift up my tactics a bit.

I used inside runs out of the 4-WR shotgun a lot like last time, but Bama clamped down on that enough that I had to start relying on the read option more, and even that got dicey. Interestingly enough Bama stopped taking the bait and would come out in their base 3-4 defense even when I tried to trick them with a 5-WR look. That was neat, but my RB still ran for 132 yards on 33 carries with a 5.8 average and a TD, while my QB ran for 107 yards on 26 carries, a 5.1 average, and 2 TDs. Only two runs broke away for about 15 yards each. Most of the game was inching steadily forward 4-8 yards at a time which is... still a lot given the teams we're looking at here. There were a disturbing amount of broken tackles in the backfield that should have been losses. Jonathan Allen is way too big a dude to just push over with one hand.

Bama looked pretty on offense for the most part, especially in the beginning. Their first drive chugged along like a freight train for a quick touchdown mainly with the run, though their receivers got wide open and made amazing catches too. I thought they were going to be unstoppable for the whole game and it was going to be a very sluggish shootout. Until I started blitzing almost constantly. This allowed me to get stops in the backfield and get into the QBs face, relying on inaccurate passes and throwaways over trying pointlessly to cover their receivers. They got 2 rushing TDs, 3 FGs, and a failed 2-point conversion; no points through the air. Jalen Hurts threw for 257 yards and completed 68% of their throws. I held them to 88 yards rushing overall.

So my overall takeaways are that the run game is just too lopsided on both sides. I broke the 200 yard mark and held the other team to less than 100 in all three games. I did this by almost exclusively running out of the shotgun, and almost exclusively blitzing my linebackers.

With user rush defense as high as it is my players reacted to plays almost instantaneously and homed in on the ball with ruthless efficiency while making O-lines look non-existent. CPU screen passes were guaranteed losses. Linebacker blitzes on pass plays were guaranteed hurried passes and often sacks.

The INT sliders were also too high for my liking, to the point where throwing was far too dangerous to attempt when QB Accuracy at 5 is prone to wildly off target throws. Passes were desperation plays instead of a consistent go-to. God help an Air Raid offense.

And who needs passes anyway when your run game is nearly unstoppable? This part confuses the absolute crap out of me. I usually play with higher user RB Ability and run blocking, with lower CPU rush defense. On paper running with these should be hard as hell but I break a lot of key tackles even with low rated runners against elite linebackers.

You might find my play calling or strategies cheesy, but I'd like to note that none of the plays I used were half as effective or consistent when using other slider sets. The money plays here were not money plays before, and I'm very firmly against self-imposed limitations.

I don't mean any of this to say your sliders are bad, J-kit. They just don't work well for me specifically. Numerous people here love these sliders and are having great fun with them. You've also put a lot of effort into the presentation here and it definitely shows. I'm just posting my results and experiences with these, and hopefully there's something I've written that you can find valuable.
^^^^^^ I don't normally chime in on a lot of posts, but this is precisely why slider makers have a hard time making sliders, I've used the set my fair share and they are not easy when you play sim ball!! These games were the definition of cheesy play. I get you can play however you want but to blitz lbs exclusively, and run 4 wide dives and expecting realitistic results is pretty far fetched!
Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #101
Pro

jkits's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp18
^^^^^^ I don't normally chime in on a lot of posts, but this is precisely why slider makers have a hard time making sliders, I've used the set my fair share and they are not easy when you play sim ball!! These games were the definition of cheesy play. I get you can play however you want but to blitz lbs exclusively, and run 4 wide dives and expecting realitistic results is pretty far fetched!
Agreed JP... 100
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #102
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp18
In my defense I didn't start using those plays until about halfway through the second game when I noticed they started working so well. The first game was mostly dives out of the Ace, buck sweeps, and short shotgun passes. I only blitzed occasionally. Still a shutout.

The truth is I've seen a lot of talk about 'cheese' and 'money plays' and avoided learning what they were specifically because I didn't want to learn unstoppable ways to win every game and cheat myself. Looks like I've stumbled upon every cheese play in the book organically haha!

When I play any game I usually try to find the most efficient and effective way to win, and I don't like removing strategies from my toolbox. Oddly enough those plays wouldn't have worked for me before. If I came out in a 5 WR set and motioned my RB for a read option while they came out in a 3-4 and blitzed all their lbs there was no way I was getting out of my backfield, especially if it was Bama. Here I'd get 6-7 yards out of it.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #103
Rookie

I feel like if you have to justify a game with 'don't use this thing that's in the game, other wise the game won't be fun' then that's a problem with the game not the player. There seems to be a lot of that in this one.

So yeah, short answer is it's time to sell this game and move on with my life.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #104
MVP

jp18's Arena

Quote:
I feel like if you have to justify a game with 'don't use this thing that's in the game, other wise the game won't be fun' then that's a problem with the game not the player. There seems to be a lot of that in this one.

So yeah, short answer is it's time to sell this game and move on with my life.
I don't like house rules either, and it's flat out a shame we couldn't get a decent product. The game was built for the arcade player who wants to score 100 a game. Doesn't matter what slider setup you have there are A LOT of plays and formations that just flat out make the game easy. You would think it should be pretty straight forward by putting 100 on all cpu sliders and 0 for user that the user would get stomped unfortunately that's not how it works its how the sliders are tied together from both sides that makes the user always have the advantage, I got this game like many others when it first came out and it stinks that 4 years later I still can't just get a good game unless I just play dumb.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »