Home

Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought...

This is a discussion on Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #33
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut XX
Are you talking about yourself?
No, I have no problems with people opinions, nor do I try to pass of my opinion or someone else as "truth" or fact.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #34
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFight2000

Speaking of sim, no cpu subs in preseason, (yes i know i can manually sub my players, but madden had this "sim" aspect down years ago.), 55 man roster limit, no preseason cuts, no battles for starting position.
This is what I don't get, especially since this stuff is already implemented in current versions of Madden.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
No, I have no problems with people opinions, nor do I try to pass of my opinion or someone else as "truth" or fact.
?? What are you implying?? Are you referring to me; or was that just a general statement?

Just curious to know what your "opinion" is regarding the game? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #36
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

The no battles for starting position is not as bad as it seems. During training camp and preseason guys will fluctuate making naming a starter among closely rated guys hard to do. Rating ranges can change before the start of the season too, so a position battle is sort of there for you to role play. That's all madden really did, you just got a fancy email and stat screen about it.

In the spirit of gripes though, I want:

More interaction with the coaches and players. I want locker room speeches.

Coaches giving me advice on gameday and more advice in general. Coach, so and so has been struggling lately, we should get him some extra 1 on 1 drills during practice.

Player interaction during gameday - coach, give me the ball. I'm open all day.

As many others have said, more motivation options. A simple praise player for performance option would be nice. More of a system for what works and what doesn't work for certain players. It just seems too random now. Some guys should respond to certain coaching and others should be turned off by it. Feedback through assistant coaches on what's working and not working should be provided - coach, you've been riding my RB's a bit too hard lately, consider easing up on them.

"Classroom" time where we go over film and I can tell players when you see this from the defense, do this. I want to teach the guys during the week what to do on gameday so I don't have to micromanage on gameday. Certainly leave the option to micromanage on gameday there for those that want it.

Along those lines, I would like to see the players learn from practice. For example, if I consistently tell the offensive line to slide block to the defensive line's overloaded or shifted side during practice, I want the o-line to start doing that on their own during game day. Or if I consistently change the qb progression to look deep against a certain defense, I want the qb to start doing that on his own on gameday.

Ability to establish a playbook when creating a coach and also getting feedback from your coaching staff, specially coordinators, on that playbook. I think we should add this play to the playbook or this play hasn't been working for us, let's drop it. Or a coordinator suggesting a system wide change...Coach, our personnel would be better suited in a 3-4 system on defense, we should think about changing in the offseason or bringing in different players if you want to stick with this system.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1
Icon14 Re: Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
The no battles for starting position is not as bad as it seems. During training camp and preseason guys will fluctuate making naming a starter among closely rated guys hard to do. Rating ranges can change before the start of the season too, so a position battle is sort of there for you to role play. That's all madden really did, you just got a fancy email and stat screen about it.

In the spirit of gripes though, I want:

More interaction with the coaches and players. I want locker room speeches.

Coaches giving me advice on gameday and more advice in general. Coach, so and so has been struggling lately, we should get him some extra 1 on 1 drills during practice.

Player interaction during gameday - coach, give me the ball. I'm open all day.

As many others have said, more motivation options. A simple praise player for performance option would be nice. More of a system for what works and what doesn't work for certain players. It just seems too random now. Some guys should respond to certain coaching and others should be turned off by it. Feedback through assistant coaches on what's working and not working should be provided - coach, you've been riding my RB's a bit too hard lately, consider easing up on them.

"Classroom" time where we go over film and I can tell players when you see this from the defense, do this. I want to teach the guys during the week what to do on gameday so I don't have to micromanage on gameday. Certainly leave the option to micromanage on gameday there for those that want it.

Along those lines, I would like to see the players learn from practice. For example, if I consistently tell the offensive line to slide block to the defensive line's overloaded or shifted side during practice, I want the o-line to start doing that on their own during game day. Or if I consistently change the qb progression to look deep against a certain defense, I want the qb to start doing that on his own on gameday.

Ability to establish a playbook when creating a coach and also getting feedback from your coaching staff, specially coordinators, on that playbook. I think we should add this play to the playbook or this play hasn't been working for us, let's drop it. Or a coordinator suggesting a system wide change...Coach, our personnel would be better suited in a 3-4 system on defense, we should think about changing in the offseason or bringing in different players if you want to stick with this system.

Wow. These are all great ideas. Kind of training/teaching the strategy aspect rather than just telling. Better players would demonstrate what they learn on the field while struggling players would continue to have problems. This would allow you as the coach to breakdown film and truly analyze player personnel.

Great stuff.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #38
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghambino
Better players would demonstrate what they learn on the field while struggling players would continue to have problems. This would allow you as the coach to breakdown film and truly analyze player personnel.
Exactly. That's what I want. A true coaching game where I teach and have the players respond (or not), not a madden coach mode hybrid where the players are just a robot with a ratings range where I sort of control the game with pre-snap adjustments but don't.

I like the game, but it just feels lifeless for the most part. As a coach, I want to interact with the players -find out who stays after practice to work on things on their own time, who shows up late for meetings, who is struggling to handle a large playbook, who can't stay out of the media spotlight for good or bad, what players like my system, what players stand up as leaders in the locker room during tough times to keep the team fighting, I want to reward the players for a hard fought win with a day off, I want to have some guys on the team not get along with others and cause strife in the locker room, I want to tell my QB in practice to hit the TE on this pass play if he sees the safety move up to cover him, I don't want to have to be the QB's brain and tell him that each time it happens, if he's smart enough and we worked on it in practice he should do it himself....and so on...I probably could go on and on.

Last edited by mudtiger; 06-28-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #39
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
^^this is what I thought a NFL management game should really be about... in game choices.. me on the sidelines make the final call concerning all assistant coach input via wireless headset... option to takeover the Offensive/defensive coordinators play calls... subtitles indicating play suggested, (I) accept or override... punt or go on 4th and 2.... with each play/(replay) shown after the choice is made... all the sideline chatter that you would think goes on during a game... the crowd booing or cheering with each bad or good call.... players trying to sell the fact that they have the CB beat but the QB won't throw the pill....

this is what I thought this game would be... and all this from the sideline or upper (stadium) coaches box prospective.....

Quote:
^^I feel this is Key for the real sim gamer... every NFL team has a game plan that features select plays from a larger playbook... depending upon the opponent certain plays will be practiced solely for that game... if you don't choose the right game plan you may loose... this should also be a big factor in a management game... from what I've read.... the ability to do halftime adjustments would add some needed intrigue...

Last edited by xrams; 06-28-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #40
Rookie

blkdymnd's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams

^^I feel this is Key for the real sim gamer... every NFL team has a game plan that features select plays from a larger playbook... depending upon the opponent certain plays will be practiced solely for that game... if you don't chose the right game plan you may loose... this should also be a big factor in a management game... from what I've read.... the ability to do halftime adjustments would add some needed intrigue...
Can't we already do this in the game now? I have limited play on it so far as I just did the dig download last night. But we can practice certain plays leading up to a week to make them money plays can't we? or is it if we make one a money play, it's always a money play week to week? And you can always do halftime adjustments to a point just by making different playcalls, or substituting better matchups

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »