Home

Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought...

This is a discussion on Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #41
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
The no battles for starting position is not as bad as it seems. During training camp and preseason guys will fluctuate making naming a starter among closely rated guys hard to do. Rating ranges can change before the start of the season too, so a position battle is sort of there for you to role play. That's all madden really did, you just got a fancy email and stat screen about it.

In the spirit of gripes though, I want:

More interaction with the coaches and players. I want locker room speeches.

Coaches giving me advice on gameday and more advice in general. Coach, so and so has been struggling lately, we should get him some extra 1 on 1 drills during practice.

Player interaction during gameday - coach, give me the ball. I'm open all day.

As many others have said, more motivation options. A simple praise player for performance option would be nice. More of a system for what works and what doesn't work for certain players. It just seems too random now. Some guys should respond to certain coaching and others should be turned off by it. Feedback through assistant coaches on what's working and not working should be provided - coach, you've been riding my RB's a bit too hard lately, consider easing up on them.

"Classroom" time where we go over film and I can tell players when you see this from the defense, do this. I want to teach the guys during the week what to do on gameday so I don't have to micromanage on gameday. Certainly leave the option to micromanage on gameday there for those that want it.

Along those lines, I would like to see the players learn from practice. For example, if I consistently tell the offensive line to slide block to the defensive line's overloaded or shifted side during practice, I want the o-line to start doing that on their own during game day. Or if I consistently change the qb progression to look deep against a certain defense, I want the qb to start doing that on his own on gameday.

Ability to establish a playbook when creating a coach and also getting feedback from your coaching staff, specially coordinators, on that playbook. I think we should add this play to the playbook or this play hasn't been working for us, let's drop it. Or a coordinator suggesting a system wide change...Coach, our personnel would be better suited in a 3-4 system on defense, we should think about changing in the offseason or bringing in different players if you want to stick with this system.
It would be cool to give interviews through the headset.

Nice list.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #42
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdymnd
Can't we already do this in the game now? I have limited play on it so far as I just did the dig download last night. But we can practice certain plays leading up to a week to make them money plays can't we? or is it if we make one a money play, it's always a money play week to week? And you can always do halftime adjustments to a point just by making different playcalls, or substituting better matchups
Blkd... I'm hoping you'll tell me....?!?!

Last edited by xrams; 06-28-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #43
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenvoyage
I'm just trying to figure out if it's for me or not.
Check it out with a rental. That's the only way you'll truely know if the game is for you.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #44
Rookie

kickingguru's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Having not dropped the $40 yet I appreciate the detailed opinion of the game, positive or negative. I have to add, for those of you trying to sell others on this game, "not bad for a first effort" doesn't exactly get me motivated. Why is it just assumed the first effort will suck? Especially considering this game is built on a franchise that has existed for years. They only had to build half a game.

Wasn't Halo a first effort?

One thing EA has done is lower our expectations for games at their launch. This Multi-billion dollar giant is too cheap to get a large enough staff together to make games work out of the box. They get a minimum number of programmers and work them into the ground to get the product on the shelf with or with out bugs as long as they make the deadline. To me, this is a travesty. Why should I a consumer expect substandard products and love them for it. I am a sports game fan and EA is pretty much the only game in town for such games. I have to hold my nose and play........

Late,

The Guru
Old 06-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #45
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out if it's for me or not. I still play NFL 2K5 with updated rosters simply because I thought the gameplay was far superior to Madden. I can also be counted among those who are still upset about the lack of competition EA created by purchasing the NFL license. Nevertheless, this game seems like it could be interesting. I'm curious, however, what exactly makes it better than playing 2K5 in "coach only" mode. It certainly sounds different, but if the choices become too simplistic I fear the game will become routine and what works one week will work the next.
I was a huge 2k5 fan, and spoke/speak with the lead AI engineer on a regular/semi regular basis, but I never thought 2k5 coach mode was worth a damn.

And while I agree with a large portion of your post, for me the bottom line is, am I getting $40 worth of enjoyment out of this game? And I can say, while I do agree with many of the issues pointed out, that yes I have gotten my $40 worth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
And while I agree with a large portion of your post, for me the bottom line is, am I getting $40 worth of enjoyment out of this game? And I can say, while I do agree with many of the issues pointed out, that yes I have gotten my $40 worth.
Very well put BK. I think I've gotten my 40 bucks worth and someone else's too.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #47
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
A simple praise player for performance option would be nice.
If the player has made a big play or is on a roll with several noteworthy plays in a short span of time, you'll be able to select a "Praise" type option under "Passive Motivation". The comment choices change based on the player's performance.

As for the topic, a game like this will never have enough depth in the eyes of the hardcore gamer. There will always be room for improvement no matter how many of the wishlist suggestions the devs cram into future versions. Personally, I'm surprised EA even released a game like this in the first place. It's a welcomed change of pace for me. I'm enjoying it.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #48
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
If the player has made a big play or is on a roll with several noteworthy plays in a short span of time, you'll be able to select a "Praise" type option under "Passive Motivation". The comment choices change based on the player's performance.
True, but does it make a bit of difference what those comments actually say? I used to read them and choose based on what they said, but gave up when it seemed like it didn't really matter what those comments said.

An idea for praise player would be there would be little actual increase in the player, but there also would be very little risk they would react negatively. As an opposite reaction to praise, gimme an option to verbally belittle the player for a mistake where the player boost up or down will be large but there will a huge risk that the guy will take it negatively.

The whole passive/aggressive system just seems too shallow when it covers everything and has no detectable or reasonable expectation of an outcome. In my experience so far, reacting passively to a player for a big play is no better than reacting aggressively. Either one could result in a boost and I haven't been able to gauge any single player's preference to passive or aggressive feedback. Sometimes they like one and sometimes they like the other.

With all that said, don't take it that I don't like the game. I do, I just hope that ea doesn't squander the large and engrossing possibilities for this game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »