Home

What we'd like to see if there are future releases of HC

This is a discussion on What we'd like to see if there are future releases of HC within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you rather have a new release every year or update via patches you pay for?
New Release every year ala Madden 35 37.63%
Patch every 6 months (maybe $9.99 to $19.99?) to a year with a New Release every few years 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Talking What we'd like to see if there are future releases of HC

First two possible apologies in advance since i'm a bit n00bie to forums: 1) If someone has started this thread already sorry, I looked but didn't see one 2) sorry if threads like this annoy devs

Now, on with the show...

Starting a list of features, ideas, wish lists type items that we'd like to see in a "hopeful" future edition of HC.

Personally, I'd like to see patches and downloads rather than buying a new HC each year, but would be willing to pay $10-20 per "update module" and would still like to see new disk editions every other year or so. Something along the lines of the Civilization series. patches and then HC 1 HC 2 HC 3 as required.

I'm hoping this thread will not be abused and that we'll all be realistic and helpful (hopeful is ok too )

Ok, so what would I like to see? I thought you'd never ask.

1) Expand the in-game glossary to include descriptions and effects of player attributes (ex. impact blocking vs run and pass blocking?), team philosophies, icons and symbols, etc.

2) Have the option of disabling the "Coaching Advantage" bar before each play. First, it's not part of the "immersion" of being a head coach and second, I'd just rather watch the play without knowing whether the opponent should blow me out of the water or vice-versa. And yes, I know "variances" occur and appreciate that, but just don't need to see it before every play. Maybe once in a while on critical play calls would be interesting to see if you called the right play on 4th and short...

3) Create a new playbook by choosing your formations and then plays from that formation based on the NFL playbooks...all of them. I don't like having to base my playbook and start out with all those plays automatically. I may want to start out my playbook in the preseason with only 10 plays and build on it. It's a realistic approach to "building" a playbook which the effort is there in HC09 just needs to be tweaked a bit.

4) When scrolling stats and spreadsheet type screens, the names of the players HAVE to stay on the screen. Scrolling left and right every time you sort a column off screen is an annoyance.

5) Coach POV cam? I've actually coached football and while a coach pov cam doesn't have much "entertainment" value (you'd be surprised how LITTLE you can see from the sideline) it would be a nice option for the "immersion" effect.

6) Progression screens have +/- # next to the stats that have changed.

7) I love being able to edit rosters and save my number 7 (Ray Guy) for the best punter I ever drafted or number 75 for my Howie Long DE but for some reason sometimes NFL valid numbers not used by other players are not available. i.e. I could not number any of my LB 70 numbers, my C HAD to be 50s and DL could only be 90s. Now, the CPU allows these numbers and renumbers your players for you along these lines sometimes, but I was not able to manually do it...quirky bug?

8) uggh, what's his name...schefter? or w/e, anyway transcripts of his "reports" in NFL News on the clipboard? With all the audio "features" of HC 09 being able to read these reports would be nice. Call it a "newspaper" if you will within the game.

9) This one might be ignorance on my part...but I'd like more control on hiring/firing coordinators...at ANY time. Agreed, it's not "smart" to change in the middle of the season, but I started in Feb before the draft and never had the option to modify my coaching staff. I'm an offensive coach and I like to hire a DC/Assistant Head Coach who handles EVERYTHING regarding the defense (except drafting and signing defensive players). It doesn't "feel" like dismissing the "call play" action every defensive play and the "adjustments" coming up is allowing the DC to run his game. I mean if I dismiss adjustments every time does that mean no adjustments are ever being done? (Yes I have delegate on for adjustments) I like the feeling of teamwork between the HC OC and DC during the game. I should have the option of being the HC/OC or DC or have both OC and DC call plays but we would need perhaps a little more in-depth philosophy options so that you feel comfortable with your DC or OC following your philosophical approach to building a team. Which leads me to number...

10) One of the fundamental rewards in HC and in life is mentoring those you hire and watching (or hearing about them) succeed. It was attempted fairly nicely in HC 06 but I don't see that sort of module in HC 09. Similar to the "lineage points" and so forth.

11) Finally, those who post, try to put some thought into your post before posting and Josh or anyone else, if threads like these are useless...just don't respond and it will die out That being said though...PLEASE don't give up on us (the few the analytical, oh wait, that just reminded me of another "wish list"...on to number ...

12) Everyone LOVES generating characters... would it be possible to generate HCs from scratch to some degree? As in choosing your own personality traits? I read through the PRIMA guide and was like ok I'm this trait, this trait and this trait...and it would have been fun/interesting to be able to create my coach that way. Plus any other items we may be able to generate. Maybe some sort of professional history to help weigh some of our philosophy choices?

13) Ok like I was saying, don't give up on us (the few, the analytical...can I say "anal"? because that's what I mean the what do you mean this isn't the same as real life gamers

Everyone else fire away, I have to get off here I'm about to start my regular season finally...I really hate that these forums are so addicting and keeping me from playing can you add that as a feature? the forum in-game? lol...

I play this game as a sim to test myself. I have aspirations of coaching in the NFL someday and have coached at the High School level....now don't laugh, for any of you that follow NASCAR, Denny Hamlin (#11 FedEx owned by the King himself Joe Gibbs) won his first race as a rookie two years ago, he actually credited EA sports NASCAR 05 or 06 forget the year now, but he gave the game credit after winning the race at Pocono for helping him learn the track and find his lines...

and one last thing part II... devs and players...take all of the bugs, and oddities as part of the game...because if I've learned one thing in life it's that no matter how many times I see something in a game and I say "omg, that is SO unrealsitic" sure as "heck" if I don't see it happen in a real game later on. So instead of crying about the bug that makes Bo Jackson break his hip (single tear rolls down my cheek) or worried about programming something to be so random it may not be realistic or it may be too hard or too easy, or Brett Favre ahem... well you get the pic, just create and play and let the chips fall where they may

Last edited by SloeyEZ; 08-19-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: oh...one last thing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What we'd like to see if there are future releases of HC

Slo...that was a great post! What level do you coach at in the real world?

I looked thru four pages and couldn't find a 'wish list for HC 2010' thread, though I'm pretty sure one exists somewhere...but your post was so great it deserves to be seen

What would I like? Hmmm....

A little more time to negotiate contracts.

We'll probably get a smoother game engine next year.

Some faster play recaps/results either via a louder PA or more timely text updates.

Ability to sit/rest players in TC/preseason with one toggle or checkmark next to their name instead of constantly changing it (like having certain starters sit out several practices and preseason games (LT for example) without the trainers constantly trying to get them to participate against my whims).

Weekly sportscenter type recaps with studio presentation for your team and around the league.

Post game recap pointing out the team's improvements and areas that need work in practice. Okay..I guess that's technically the STATS screen LOL. But I think something with advice would be good.

Those are just a few that come to mind. LOVE this game!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

I would love a place where I can go and look at the draft history for EACH yeah. Also it would be a good idea to add a player bio screen (within their player card). This info should include their draft position, how acquired by current team as well as additional info. Additional info could be anything ranging from personal records, significant dates (when they signed certain contracts), pro bowls, awards...etc.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Slo...that was a great post! What level do you coach at in the real world?
High School Varsity I was the WR coach. I was lucky to find a HC that took a chance on me even though I had never played football and quoted my years of "virtual" coaching experience via some old-time NFL sims lol. I'm in school now though, if everything goes according to plan, I"m transferring to UT next fall and then teaching and coaching at some small college somewhere.

I'm glad to see other people are playing this game. This forum blows me away. I've been playing HC06 since it came out and just by chance heard about HC 09 when I was online last month lol. Here I thought I was the ONLY person playing this game. I was like wow EA made a game JUST FOR ME!!! How nice, but they owe me, I've been playing EA games since 84 on the Mac 256 They had a little black & white olympics game lol. Been hooked on EA ever since.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I would like to be able to see training camp on the field. When I cut players, I have no idea whats going on in training camp, just development reports. Im not sure if this is possible with the current Madden engine, but even if you implemented it as practice mode from Madden that would be awesome too. Seeing players gel and work routes on the field is as fulfilling as seeing it done in the preseason, but at least it would be unique since its not Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gim77
I would like to be able to see training camp on the field. When I cut players, I have no idea whats going on in training camp, just development reports. Im not sure if this is possible with the current Madden engine, but even if you implemented it as practice mode from Madden that would be awesome too. Seeing players gel and work routes on the field is as fulfilling as seeing it done in the preseason, but at least it would be unique since its not Madden.
I KNOW I said I wasn't going to keep comparing this game to HC 06 but I miss the practices too. It added more of a human element when you just saw that the OVR-74 HB found the holes better than your OVR-94 HB. But...there is a fine line between running the actual practices and and the "monotony" that was cut out of this version and though I miss the practices I like not having to deal with them also...

so I'm on the fence on this one but can definitely see why you guys took it out.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10

Although I will be in the minority, I would prefer they perfect the core gameplay elements and areas that need fixed which has been identified since release. Adding more features and such all the time always seems to leave old issues lingering. I would like a rock solid release and then we can go with drastic new features.

Just my two cents...
Old 08-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
Although I will be in the minority, I would prefer they perfect the core gameplay elements and areas that need fixed which has been identified since release. Adding more features and such all the time always seems to leave old issues lingering. I would like a rock solid release and then we can go with drastic new features.

Just my two cents...
Thanks Sly, I understand what you mean. When I wrote that post I was a little hesitant that it might be too soon, but with school starting next week and the fact that I'm only on here when I'm not playing HC...I figured it was now or never. Plus...I have faith in the HC team. It still blows me away to know that they might actually read this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »