Home

NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive?

This is a discussion on NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #73
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Nah, yours was not the only post, that's why I stated "posts" and didn't refer directly to anyone.

Again to be clear, I wasn't trying to call anyone out for that implication, I was just wondering was there something I had missed in regard to Simfball specifically taking advantage of this topic or another to drive viewers to his Youtube channel.

Anyway, my take on this news from Simfball is that he is telling the truth, simply because I have never known him to just make video game stuff up to drive Youtube hits or to draw attention. By "telling the truth" I simply mean that someone he believes should be in the know, told him the things he expressed, not that the return of NFL2k is a fact. Now as far as the title of the video, among other things you mentioned, I won't attempt to speak for Simfball because he is actually a member of OS and hopefully he finds this thread, then chooses to speak for himself.
Not putting rumor in the subject is clearly clickbait, there's really no defending that, no matter how many times he calls it a rumor or builds up all the plausible deniability he does in the video itself. The name of the video stating it as fact and then presenting it as a rumor is contradictory, but come from the same person that you feel is "telling the truth". Alrighty then, however you feel you can reconcile that just speaks to your ability to selectively pick and choose the facts.

If he's wrong he's another HipHopGamer, just a Youtuber that will say whatever to get clicks/views/fans.

As to my post about the goalposts you looped into your tangent about how credible this source is... it had little to do with that. You yourself have set these goalposts, how many times have you bumped the Ides of March thread? While your name was red we had other various goalposts come and go (or relocate rather)... the Super Bowl... the week after the Super Bowl... EA's financials call... 2k's financials call... after E3 I'm sure someone will suggest a surprise release or find some other reason to establish a new date, or perhaps the cycle will start anew with the above. This has been the routine for some time, more so the last year or two.

I'm all for options, I'm all for new games, but this is politics-discussion levels of partisan silliness.

Last edited by mestevo; 05-28-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #74
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Not putting rumor in the subject is clearly clickbait, there's really no defending that, no matter how many times he calls it a rumor or builds up all the plausible deniability he does in the video itself. The name of the video stating it as fact and then presenting it as a rumor rumor are contradictory, but come from the same person that you feel is "telling the truth". Alrighty then, however you feel you can reconcile that just speaks to your ability to selectively pick and choose the facts.

If he's wrong he's another HipHopGamer, just a Youtuber that will say whatever to get clicks/views/fans.

As to my post about the goalposts you looped into your tangent about how credible this source is... it had little to do with that. You yourself have set these goalposts, how many times have you bumped the Ides of March thread? While your name was red we had other various goalposts come and go (or relocate rather)... the Super Bowl... the week after the Super Bowl... EA's financials call... 2k's financials call... after E3 I'm sure someone will suggest a surprise release or find some other reason to establish a new date, or perhaps the cycle will start anew with the above. This has been the routine for some time, more so the last year or two.

I'm all for options, I'm all for new games, but this is politics-discussion levels of partisan silliness.
I respect your opinion in your post and will only speak to the bold.

I lumped your post in because I wasn't sure if you were specifically referring to Simfball in it or not. I was aware others had floated rumors and speculated on these things in the past but I wasn't aware of him specifically doing so, that's why I was asking about it.

Also, I'm really not aware of another time I bumped that Ides of March thread other than recently and that was because I wasn't around for the "goalpost" date and linked the vid for the things Simfball mentions towards the end about the NFL exclusive in general. As far as any reference to me "moving it", I don't see how that would be possible nor has it been shown to be incorrect yet.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Umm the last 2K hockey game was released in 2010 and Don King Prizefighter came out in 2008 and its the only one they've released so far.
i bring up those because those are the two titles 2k kept pushing when they had that influx of GTA IV money.

that and banking on the MLB license and then producing the comically inferior baseball title.

an alternative they could do to keep the engine current is re-release a tweaked all pro and charge for it every year with periodical patches if need be.

it would be like a premium arcade game. i mean, all pro sold 76,000 copies after the first two weeks. that's 4.5 million dollars. what exactly was the development cost of the game? they at least made a solid million there. who's going to spit at a million dollar profit?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #76
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5
i bring up those because those are the two titles 2k kept pushing when they had that influx of GTA IV money.

that and banking on the MLB license and then producing the comically inferior baseball title.

an alternative they could do to keep the engine current is re-release a tweaked all pro and charge for it every year with periodical patches if need be.

it would be like a premium arcade game. i mean, all pro sold 76,000 copies after the first two weeks. that's 4.5 million dollars. what exactly was the development cost of the game? they at least made a solid million there. who's going to spit at a million dollar profit?
That hypothetical breaks down because it pretends retail revenue goes to the developer. Even within the same company, Take Two for distribution and 2K Sports for publishing get their cuts before Visual Concepts realizes any profit from the wholesale price - and even saying that makes a lot of assumptions about how that might be structured.

If APF proved viable in some form it would have already returned.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #77
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth437
simfballcritic isn't convincing me:

"Now from what I'm hearing, they are presenting a football game to the NFL..."

"You have to remember, they don't have the license. They can't produce anything NFL related until they have a license. I wouldn't expect gameplay, but we will see." 

Those words don't jive with "NFL 2K Football to return at E3 2014."

They can still create a football game and get the base model down to present to the NFL. If approved pre E3 they could just show off gameplay models and began Adding teams/players/logos/stadiums which can all be done after approval and E3.

Granted I don't believe this to be the case as that is an awfully big risk to start production monetarily to not get approved in the end.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 05-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #78
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5
i mean, all pro sold 76,000 copies after the first two weeks. that's 4.5 million dollars. what exactly was the development cost of the game? they at least made a solid million there. who's going to spit at a million dollar profit?
The AAA video game industry would and absolutely does sneeze at $4.5 million gross revenue (and its lifetime gross of $22 million based on VGChartz' estimated sales figures of 370000 total units sold). This is an industry where AAA project budgets have cracked triple-digit millions and big-budget games like Tomb Raider which sold 6 million copies are considered "unsuccessful".

I obviously don't have access to 2K's financials, but 370k units / $22 million gross on a boxed-released XBOX 360 / PS3 game strikes me as pretty bad. Barring some sort of shoestring budget or an incredibly small development staff, I can't imagine APF 2K8 came close to breaking even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
If APF proved viable in some form it would have already returned.
Quoted for emphasis.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #79
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Yeah APF is not coming back. As far as I'm concerned, with development costs what they are today, there is no way any sports simulation is released by a mainstream publisher without a licensing deal in place with a well-established sports IP.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #80
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Normally I would agree. But perhaps 2K would do it this way to elicit public response that would put added pressure on the NFL to do a new/favorable deal, provided that the possibility for one is open. If what they were to show turns out to be something amazing, it would send shockwaves through the internet.

I wouldn't expect a game this year either, but the June-August thing actually means nothing. All that matters is how long they've been working on the game prior.

All of that is actually an internet myth. Thing is, the Pecover V. Electronic Arts lawsuit disproved that myth entirely a long time ago. When you read the Federal documents and court subpoenaed memos from that case, you'll find that it was EA, not the NFL, who made a stink over the pricing drop because they didn't want to have to lower the price of Madden going forward (and give up considerable profit margin) to combat it. In response to it, EA approached the NFL for an exclusive, in fact the documents map out the entire sequence of what happened point-by-point. EA was defeated in that case.

When you read those EA executive memos about what NFL 2K5 was doing to them, you can just picture a bunch of grown men running around the office in terror like Godzilla was coming. It's hilarious, and pathetic.
I was under the impression the case was settled out of court. Or am I mistaken?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »