Home

2023 Spring Training Thread

This is a discussion on 2023 Spring Training Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2023, 09:35 AM   #33

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 2023 Spring Training Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Rangers/Royals and Mariners/Padres were both around 2.5 hours today…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Obviously we'll get varying game times. It'll take some time into the season to see how long games really take.

2.5 hour average is nice, but I wonder if those 2.5 hour games we already have will suddenly be done in 2.

I'll use Jays for an example. Their shortest game last year was 2 hours and 16 minutes (they did it twice, a 5-1 and 6-2 game). Wonder if we see those types of games getting under 2 hours, or if a game like that was already short enough (in other words, the pitch clock won't make a difference since Pitchers in games like that were pitching soon enough already).

Or is the only change we really notice going to be for those 3-3.5 hour games?
Old 02-25-2023, 01:16 PM   #34

Majingir's Arena

McCutchen gets a mini standing ovation in his first ST at bat returning to the Pirates.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:26 PM   #35

Majingir's Arena

I don't get how TV networks can't just integrate the pitch clock onto their scorebug like the NBA shot clocks and NFL play clocks are.

I've seen some screenshots of other games and none look good.

Pirates/Jays game they're using a wider camera shot behind the mound so you see the clock off to the sides behind home plate.

I've seen others where one looks like some 90s pop up screen with the clock just added randomly on the screen. Another somewhat integrated the clock into the scorebug, but it doesn't blend in with the scorebug since it's just the black background with the red digital numbers on it looking like an alarm clock.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2023, 02:38 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I don’t think the clock needs to be visible, by the end of spring training everyone should have their timing down and the the pitch clock won’t really be something worth watching on the broadcast
Old 02-25-2023, 03:31 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I don't get how TV networks can't just integrate the pitch clock onto their scorebug like the NBA shot clocks and NFL play clocks are.

I've seen some screenshots of other games and none look good.

Pirates/Jays game they're using a wider camera shot behind the mound so you see the clock off to the sides behind home plate.

I've seen others where one looks like some 90s pop up screen with the clock just added randomly on the screen. Another somewhat integrated the clock into the scorebug, but it doesn't blend in with the scorebug since it's just the black background with the red digital numbers on it looking like an alarm clock.
Marquee (Cubs) appear to be doing exactly this, though they still have the back-wall clock in view. also changed the number color to black-on-white background for the scorebug.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:47 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I don’t think the clock needs to be visible, by the end of spring training everyone should have their timing down and the the pitch clock won’t really be something worth watching on the broadcast
Ok maybe I need it. Braves game just ended in a tie after their hitter got called out for not being ready with two strikes and the bases loaded
Old 02-25-2023, 03:50 PM   #39
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

I love the pitch clock so far…so crisp/brisk. The one change is submit is that the clock goes away in the 9th inning and beyond. Games don’t need to end on that kind of call when it counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-25-2023, 04:32 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
…The one change is submit is that the clock goes away in the 9th inning and beyond. Games don’t need to end on that kind of call when it counts.
I second this motion

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »