Home

2023 Spring Training Thread

This is a discussion on 2023 Spring Training Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2023, 10:54 AM   #57
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: 2023 Spring Training Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Clocks on score overlays? After all the "no visible clocks it doesn't need to be visible" clamoring when clocks were brought up in the past when people were trying to come up with the best way for the Trojan horse? Really taking the term slippery slope to a new level.
It's genuinely pissing me off. I really, really need it off the board, as it's triggering something in me to pay attention to it and I really don't want to.

I don't mind the idea of it (though I think it should've just been instituted in the minors and just groomed the players into pacing themselves well in the majors, and if an umpire saw something egregious he'd call it), but I don't need to be made aware unless there is something to enforce.

Once again, it's one of those things where it would've been better left under the hood. The more this stuff is talked about, the more I'm disliking this league. Again, pacing wasn't an issue until people started talking about it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-26-2023, 11:06 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
It's genuinely pissing me off. I really, really need it off the board, as it's triggering something in me to pay attention to it and I really don't want to.

I don't mind the idea of it (though I think it should've just been instituted in the minors and just groomed the players into pacing themselves well in the majors, and if an umpire saw something egregious he'd call it), but I don't need to be made aware unless there is something to enforce.

Once again, it's one of those things where it would've been better left under the hood. The more this stuff is talked about, the more I'm disliking this league. Again, pacing wasn't an issue until people started talking about it.
I don’t think it’s something we’ll be seeing once opening day hits

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/statu...1MyZDy0o6GiV6A
Old 02-26-2023, 11:21 AM   #59
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I don’t think it’s something we’ll be seeing once opening day hits

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/statu...1MyZDy0o6GiV6A
It's on the scorebug, at least in some of the broadcasts I've seen.

Can they keep the strike zone off while they're at it?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-26-2023, 12:46 PM   #60
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Well, you're just gonna have to have the umpires determine what constitutes as "looking" and we'll have reviews about it and the announcers saying "iiiii don't know Jim oooooh that's a close one, you see on this angle." It's already bad enough with the "did he lift his pubic hair off the bag for a fraction of a millisecond?!? Oooooh that's so close!!"

As for patient and "just getting used to it," I don't want to do that. Frankly I'm getting sick of being asked to "just get used to it" ****. Get used to this, get used to that, get used to this, get used to that.

Here's just a sampling of the ****ing **** we've had to "get used to" in the last how long:

Runners suddenly appearing on base to determine the result of a game
9 players field but only 8 of thosd same 9 come up to bat.
Pitch clocks and violations
Sponsors on jerseys
Being told how a team should play defense
Intentional walks at a snap of a finger
More playoff teams

No no, I'm sick of being asked to "just get used to it." And I'm sick of being told "it's not that big a deal" and "you're exaggerating" and "actually these aren't that bad" and "nothing has changed" and being mocked when bringing up the slippery slope. Well, that slope has already slipped so hard were halfway to the core of the earth. How much more?

It's not anything I want. Have fun not having fans watch, care, or most importantly talk about the sport, league and players to their friends and family. I know I won't be. Last year was a record low for me and I suspect this year will break that, even. But I know nobody cares about little old me.

That’s totally fine. Y'all have fun with "baseball."

I will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-26-2023, 01:19 PM   #61

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Ideally the players will get to the point where the clock won't even be a thing to think about. They will have it in their head to get set, get back in the box, and keep things moving. It'll just take awhile to unlearn all the years of time wasting for no reason. Baseball can and should be an exciting sport with a healthy pace.

Honestly as much of a fan of baseball as I was growing up, I likely would have been a bigger fan if not for years and years of Yankees Wirld Series games with an eternity between pitches. Enough time for like 4 of those annoying fan "I'm so nervous" closeups after every pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2023, 01:28 PM   #62
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Ideally the players will get to the point where the clock won't even be a thing to think about. They will have it in their head to get set, get back in the box, and keep things moving.
That's why I'm saying if you groom them in the minor leagues this way, you'll get them coming up with that mindset.

Again, I'm for a pitch clock, but I was always of the thought that it existed as a rule but wasn't ever enforced (though I have seen it enforced). Then I thought they tried to throw something in several years back asking batters to keep one foot in the box, and would fine them if they didn't. I believe I remember seeing Ortiz being fined, at least. Then they went loose with the rule or abandoned it I guess?

I just would like it out of my face and out of the way. Unlike you, I'm for the heat of the moment in the 7th inning of a playoff game where there is a long breath between pitches. Let the players compose themselves as they feel they need to. I'm all for it.

I was also for restricting egregious shifts, but not the way they instituted it.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:58 PM   #63
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Jordan Walker is looking damn good right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-26-2023, 02:10 PM   #64
All Star

Bard's Arena