Home

2018 Off-Season Thread

This is a discussion on 2018 Off-Season Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #137
MVP

RedSceptile's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: 2017-2018 Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Stop hiring one person to handle both head coaching and GM duties. 🗣
That seems like a smart idea!

No.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #138
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Wow yall really going back and forth over a Screamin A ESPN proposed trade scenario?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Sad thing is this isn’t even the worst Kawhi to Boston proposal I’ve seen. Saw one from some San Antonio beat writer saying the Celtics should trade Tatum, Brown and the Kings pick.

Also I’m out on giving anything of huge for Kawhi. Dude has been cleared by doctors for months yet refuses to play. He’s not wanting to play because he fears injury and losing the chance at getting his super max next offseason. The most I’d consider going is Smart, Morris/Baynes, and any first we have not from Sacremento.
And people are really overvaluing the value Kawhi is going to have this offseason when the Spurs shop him around the league. First off because superstars don’t bring back tremendous value (See Butler, PG, Kyrie, CP3 last offseason) and second of all he played like 10 games last season making his value at an all time low.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #139
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
This is pretty much my take as well. I'm not sure Brown will ever be Kawhi but I do believe that he will be an All-Star one day. I think Tatum is on the way to being the next Celtics great so he's basically untouchable for me. Kyrie or Hayward would almost have to go in order to make things work financially and adding one of those plus Brown or Rozier is just too much for me and honestly I'd prefer to keep them anyway.

I'm 100% fine with standing pat, however knowing Pop's rule of not trading with the other teams in the West makes me very uneasy about this. Because if Kawhi ends up on a team like Cleveland (with LeBron) or Milwaukee I'm going to be upset. To make matters worse there's a "rumor" that LeBron wants the 76ers to trade for Kawhi and then he would sign there. A potential lineup of Simmons, Covington/Redick, Kawhi, LeBron and Embiid scares the hell out of me.

I just need the Spurs, Pop, and Kawhi to work things out so that he can stay on a good team in the West that will at least give the Warriors/Rockets a nice run for their money year in and year out. Just stay out of the East is really all I'm asking.

Idk about that Philly “rumor”, I’m not sold on the idea that LeBron wants to leave. Seems like he’s over the whole “I’m a failure if I don’t win x amount of rings” thing. But that would be a very good team. Philly has a top 10 pick they can throw San Antonio’s way, along with Saric maybe. Of course Cleveland also has a top 10 pick, can give them back George Hill and Thompson to make the money work.. if LeBron really did want to play with Kawhi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #140
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Stop hiring one person to handle both head coaching and GM duties. ��
I think that's a fashionable opinion and I respect it but I don't know if I'm ready to cast aside that approach altogether.

I think Stan Van Gundy's role was often misunderstood in Detroit, as though he were single-handily running the sidelines and front office all on his own. In fact, during the season, just about all front office duties were relegated to Jeff Bower and his crew of scouts and assistants. The setup was actually pretty intricately planned and well organized. Just about every transaction completed was months in the making, after Bower and the support staff had gone through all possible channels, possibilities, and breakdowns.

That doesn't mean it was a perfect system immune to poor decisions, but it was far, far away from being what a lot of people pictured, where a fuming Van Gundy gets pissed one day and says, "Forget it, I'm trading for Blake Griffin."

Separately, I'm in the minority but I would have liked to see Van Gundy have a chance to operate with a completely healthy roster. I think it's easy to forget that he inherited a team led by Josh Smith, Brandon Jennings, and Greg Monroe when he took over in 2014. He had that franchise in the postseason two seasons later before some random injuries (Reggie Jackson's, in particular) threw a lot of things askew these past two seasons. I would have been interested to at least see what he could do with a healthy Drummond, Jackson, and Griffin lineup.

Oh well.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #141
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #142
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I would have liked to see a full year under SVG as well...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #143
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Hornets Coaching News

Old 05-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #144
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Separately, I'm in the minority but I would have liked to see Van Gundy have a chance to operate with a completely healthy roster. I think it's easy to forget that he inherited a team led by Josh Smith, Brandon Jennings, and Greg Monroe when he took over in 2014. He had that franchise in the postseason two seasons later before some random injuries (Reggie Jackson's, in particular) threw a lot of things askew these past two seasons. I would have been interested to at least see what he could do with a healthy Drummond, Jackson, and Griffin lineup.

Oh well.
That's the big "what if". If Reggie had been healthy in 2017 and 2018 or even just one of those seasons, Detroit is likely in the playoffs and we're not having this conversation.

SVG was not handling the GM duties. That was Jeff Bowers. Now Bowers reported to SVG, which is the uniqueness in the structure, compared to how most teams have it set up. I would argue that Detroit was set up differently than Minnesota or the Clippers are/were with Thibs and Rivers respectively.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »