Home

NFL wants to remove dreads

This is a discussion on NFL wants to remove dreads within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #41
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: NFL wants to remove dreads

Let's see here:
-The NFL has rules about the length of your towel that you wear on the field.
-The NFL has rules about the length of your socks.
-The NFL has rules about what name brand cleats you can wear.
-The NFL has rules about what apparel you can wear at a post-game news conference.
-And now the NFL is trying to pass a rule that tells players how long their hair can be.

The league done all that and probably even more but have yet to address the issue about the constant use of HGH being used by the majority of the players in the league and whether they have any plans to start testing for that and have yet to get Matt Walsh to talk about what,if any evidence he has regarding Spygate.

Damn I love this league
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #42
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
Come on now, Polomou (spelling) is Samoan, meaning he is of asian decent. Specifically southeast asian which is an amalgam of many races including middle eastern and African. That said name 5 other players that will be affected by this rule who are not black? As for jobs that require rigid dress codes and haircuts, as i said earlier, most of them are stodgy corporate types. Or they are retail/governmental jobs. At the same time there are plenty of jobs that dont require it, and there is no good reason to do it in the NFL other than to portray an image. And i feel considering the lineage of "locks" and the lack of a solid reason behind it, i feel like it is a ridiculous idea for a rule and will only lead to worse rules of this nature in the future. Next they will be getting rid of tattoos, and jewlery, etc.
Agreed
Old 03-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #43
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Come on now, Polomou (spelling) is Samoan, meaning he is of asian decent. Specifically southeast asian which is an amalgam of many races including middle eastern and African. That said name 5 other players that will be affected by this rule who are not black? As for jobs that require rigid dress codes and haircuts, as i said earlier, most of them are stodgy corporate types. Or they are retail/governmental jobs. At the same time there are plenty of jobs that dont require it, and there is no good reason to do it in the NFL other than to portray an image. And i feel considering the lineage of "locks" and the lack of a solid reason behind it, i feel like it is a ridiculous idea for a rule and will only lead to worse rules of this nature in the future. Next they will be getting rid of tattoos, and jewlery, etc.
Amusing that Tiger Woods is "not black enough" (listen to sports radio, or just talk to people and you'll hear this often), but now Troy is just "black enough".

I agree with you and don't care about the dreads. I will say that players being tackled by the dreads could be a safety/health issue, but I don't think that's why the NFL is doing it.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #44
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

In reality,the NFL has no REAL reason as to why their considering this.I mean come on,telling players they have to cut their hair so people can see the back of their names on their jerseys.100% Grade A B.S.

And they shouldn't even think about using the "It's a safety/health issue as well" excuse since there's has NEVER been a player who has gotten hurt because of their hair.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
The thing is the NFL is a professional organization setting a standard for its members. Like it or not the NFL is extremely corporate and honestly I have no problem with them making this decision, but then again I could care less if they went the other way on it. I understand that dreads can look extremely professional and when properly kept up look great (former FSU QB Xavier Lee had beautiful dreads), but when they look like some players have I think they cross the professional looking line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #46
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

The NFL is very much allowed to make such a rule.

I hate the "rights" argument. You have the "right" to go in to your bosses office and call him a jerk, and he has the "right" to fire you for it. Just because you have rights doesn't mean there are no consequences for your actions.

I couldn't keep my job if I had Al Harris dreads. But I do have the right to grow it that long if I want.

They don't bother me, but if the NFL wants to present a cleaner image, it is within their right to get rid of those who won't comply to dress code.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #47
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
Well I have dreads , the real deal I might add lol, and if a job asked me to cut mine I'd respectfully decline. If they insisted then they'd have a lawsuit on their hands. Point blank.
It's not what's on my head that should be your concern, it's whats' in it that you should be worried about.
And you would lose.

You have the right to wear your hair how you want. You won't go to jail for it. However, if you accept payment for a job, they have the right to insist you maintain the image they want to represent, as long as it does not involve skin color. "Culture" has no rights in the workplace in this regard. If that means you have to wear a chicken suit for a given job, you wear the chicken suit or leave.

Having rights does not mean you aren't subject to consequences.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #48
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30

The NFL's certainly within they're right to do this but it's still completely unnecessary. Has anyone ever turned off an NFL game because one of the players had hair sticking out of their helmet? It actually gives some individuality to the players on the field, something that is severely lacking in the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »