Home

NFL wants to remove dreads

This is a discussion on NFL wants to remove dreads within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 35
Re: NFL wants to remove dreads

Guys who are dumb enough to risk injury by having hair coming out of the back of their helmets (Troy Polumalu) don't need the NFL's protection.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
And in most other jobs, you don't get fired or demoted because you tore a tendon in your knee.

Pro sports=/=every other job
Not necessarily true. Each job is different. If you work behind a desk then tearing up your knee wouldn't be career threatening but if you're the star of an action movie that'd be a big problem. If you sing and are on tour you can't hit the stage with crutches. Sports are entertainment and most entertainment jobs have guidelines in terms of how you should look, what you should wear, etc. My personal opinion is that it's a good idea for player safety but don't really care. They have uniform requirements already. They may be stupid but they have a right to have them and it's not that abnormal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I swear its weaved in. Most of the guys with the extremely long hair, the hair doesn't look real. I can't imaging having that under a helmet during 2 a days.
It's real. Guys don't put yarn in their hair.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 32

The NFL is bored. I want Troy to keep his hair.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15

As the Murrs fan aluded to earlier, I cant help but see a tinge of racial bias in this proposed rule. The Locks thing is a cultural and on some levels religious symbol for some of these guys. Not all of them of course but a few. I think you set a bad precedent for discrimination by letting this rule happen. I guess i understand the logic behind letting names show, but I dont like the principles associated with a rule like this. It wreaks of the NBA suit ruling of a few years ago. The NFL is trying to remove itself from the young, black, urban, hip-hop, image of the players that make them so much money.

I dont like it
Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
As the Murrs fan aluded to earlier, I cant help but see a tinge of racial bias in this proposed rule. The Locks thing is a cultural and on some levels religious symbol for some of these guys. Not all of them of course but a few. I think you set a bad precedent for discrimination by letting this rule happen. I guess i understand the logic behind letting names show, but I dont like the principles associated with a rule like this. It wreaks of the NBA suit ruling of a few years ago. The NFL is trying to remove itself from the young, black, urban, hip-hop, image of the players that make them so much money.

I dont like it
Other professional employers have similar dress codes and rules. Why does this have to be a race issue?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #22
Rookie

themush's Arena

OVR: 3

Foolishness. Who does it bother that much that the NFL would be "forced" to impliment a hair rule?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #23
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
Unless they changed it very recently, it actually IS legal to tackle someone by their hair.
Definitely is:

I think it happened to Ricky Williams a couple years back also
Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Other professional employers have similar dress codes and rules. Why does this have to be a race issue?
Its racial because it almost exclusively affects black players. Im not saying its overtly racists, but you cant deny that very few white players are going to be affected by this rule.

The professions that require specific haircuts and dress codes are usually stodgy corporate America type jobs. The NFL is far from that. You can have locks as a doctor, teacher, lawyer, etc and few would bat an eye. Something like this sets a bad precedent for censorship. Its not purely race, it speaks to several levels of censorship. What is next, they start banning the cavemen beards of all of the white offensive linemen? They tell Jeremy Shockey to keep his hair cut down. Were talking about the image of the NFL who already does allot to control the image of thier game. Racial issues aside I just feel like its a bad route to go down and that it will end up very bad in the end for alot of people black or white.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »