Home

Man-Genius FIRED as NY Jets Coach...

This is a discussion on Man-Genius FIRED as NY Jets Coach... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Man-Genius FIRED as NY Jets Coach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
I know, it sounded like Porter but it was Crowder. Joey did add this (and I am on board)

So true...
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12292008...ins_146365.htm
I'm glad they are saying it. Favre was horrible. I've never understood why the media wants to act like his INT's are a work of art. This AM, Merril Hoge notes Favre getting stiff-armed as a d-lineman returns one of his passes to the end zone & he says, "Brett still has a lot of fight." I mean, come on. You're playing for your season, giving points to the opposition & you get a compliment?
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
If the Jets wanted a "Cowher type" they should learn from the Steelers front office and try to build their own... not fire the guy that showed promise to get there.
Well, first off I don't see how he was ever going to be a "Cowher type." They have completely different styles and personalities.

I think he showed promise his first year, but he had a terrible 2nd season, and I just don't think he did a very good job this year, and I think he lost the team down the stretch.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #27
MVP

Porschebenz2001's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid
Jets continuing to show why they are second rate.
How's that?

Firing a coach who didn't make the playoffs? All that money spent on FA's and you trade for Brett Favre. You're telling me you would be satisfied with this chokejob of a finish? Why in the hell would you wanna keep Mangini around? Like he just said, Mangini doesn't have a good handle on the team anymore.
NFL: New York Jets

Last edited by Porschebenz2001; 12-29-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschebenz2001
How's that?

Firing a coach who didn't make the playoffs? All that money spent on FA's and you trade for Brett Favre. You're telling me you would be satisfied with this chokejob of a finish? Why in the hell would you wanna keep Mangini around? Like he just said, Mangini doesn't have a good handle on the team anymore.
Terrible move by firing him. The team went from 4-12 to 9-7, and they are going to fire him? and yet they will probably want to bring back Brett Mr. I.N.T. Favre. LOL at the Jets.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Well, first off I don't see how he was ever going to be a "Cowher type." They have completely different styles and personalities.

I think he showed promise his first year, but he had a terrible 2nd season, and I just don't think he did a very good job this year, and I think he lost the team down the stretch.
It's not about style or personality. It's about picking a guy that you think can turn your franchise around and then giving him a chance to build the continuity to do it. Give him the time to get a system in place so the players can keep growing within a single system. His first year was a fluke. He coached very well but they were lucky to be a playoff team. Much like Cleveland this year, the expectations were too high for last year. The entire team needed some serious help and they got a lot of it this year, but too many owners and fans expect teams to just turn things around immediately like video games. It doesn't work that way, which is why coaches get fired left and right and the teams that fire them usually don't get any better. If anyone believes in chemistry they should also believe that turnover is a chemistry killer. Owners (and fans) should think long and hard about whether a coach really needs to go or if the other variables are the real problem... or if the team just shouldn't have been expected to be as good as they were being projected to begin with.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 32

Firing a coach is usually an emotional response. Jets made a mistake in bringing in Bret. The Jets have a young qb that can compete for a job. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 11

As a Jet fan I have never been overly impressed with Mangini. I didn't hate the guy but I wasn't in love with him either.

I have the feeling that Mangini might get the Browns job.

I personally would love Bill Cowher and I thinks that's the direction that the Owner Woody Johnson would like to go.

They should demote GM Mike Tannenbaum to be like the team's bathroom attendant, and give Cowher the title of GM and Coach. The Jets would be an ideal situation for Cowher but I am not sure if he's ready to come back to couching.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #32
MVP

HitDoctor's Arena

OVR: 13

Well, on a lighter note, do you think Mangini is going to change his Son's middle name?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »