Home

Roy Williams released

This is a discussion on Roy Williams released within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #57
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Roy Williams released

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Wilson could cover who and what in a slot. I kow not talking about a slot wr and what te/h-back could wilson line up against. Wilson made his name playing in the box and blitzing.

Guess,what they been cover 2 since like forever. Not a new concept in football. Cover 2 is the shell and they rotate safeties into the box. You run on 7 and pass on 8. Sanders is a strong safety that is better in the box than in coverage.
do you really want to get in to an X's and O's argument with me on this subject?

Your assumptions are all right, if this was 1991. It's not. Not only have 2 deep type coverages evolved but become 1000X more prevalent. On top of the fact use pre snap shfts to unconventional formations, and spread the field like they never have before, forcing defenses to make adjustments on the fly, and to get teams out of certain formations and get coverage mismatches.

You can not have a purely 1 dimensional safety and survive. You can't. It's been proven time and time again. Safeties are basically interchangable at this point. The notion that a SS always plays near the box and is only good at stopping the run, while the FS is a guy with range who plays CF, is totally outdated, and no longer relevant.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #58
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

it's Kelly Rowland's fault
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
You keep talking about those two runs. Yes, stopping them would've given the Cowboys a chance at a win but it's not like they dominated the Ravens and then the two runs were worth more than the standard 6 points each and gave teh Ravens a miraculous victory. If anything, the Ravens controlled the game and it would've been more of a disappointment if they found a way to lose that game... which they didn't. They also used the same gameplan to win other games all the way to the AFC Championship while the Cowboys had holes in other areas in that and other games which is why they didn't reach the playoffs. To sound as if playing Roy Williams at safety on 2 plays in that game would have saved the season is pretty crazy.
Ravens was better team that night. Roy would have made a difference in our run defense. The same he takes heat for his coverage, I give him credit for his run defense.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #60
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
it's Kelly Rowland's fault
Did they get divorced? I thought I saw that a while back, but don't remember for sure.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #61
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Ravens was better team that night. Roy would have made a difference in our run defense. The same he takes heat for his coverage, I give him credit for his run defense.
How does taking bad angles, not shedding blocks and missing tackles in the open field help your run defense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
do you really want to get in to an X's and O's argument with me on this subject?

Your assumptions are all right, if this was 1991. It's not. Not only have 2 deep type coverages evolved but become 1000X more prevalent. On top of the fact use pre snap shfts to unconventional formations, and spread the field like they never have before, forcing defenses to make adjustments on the fly, and to get teams out of certain formations and get coverage mismatches.

You can not have a purely 1 dimensional safety and survive. You can't. It's been proven time and time again. Safeties are basically interchangable at this point. The notion that a SS always plays near the box and is only good at stopping the run, while the FS is a guy with range who plays CF, is totally outdated, and no longer relevant.

I would love to have an x and o's discussion on the Bud Carson cover 2 that many teams are playing today. No problem.

Back to my man Wilson which is my favorite STRONG safety in the NFL. This is from sporting news scouting edge:

Adding to this mix, Whisenhunt and his staff moved former CB Antrel Rolle to safety where he can be a physical presence in the middle of the field, and has the range to cover a lot of ground in deep coverage, allowing Arizona to utilize the blitz capabilities and overall versatility of S Adrian Wilson. He's better playing close to the line of scrimmage and is an effective blitz player, so having the security of Rolle playing behind him, will allow more eight man fronts and blitz looks.

I love me some 8 man fronts that mean a safety is in the box.

Peace
Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #63
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Did they get divorced? I thought I saw that a while back, but don't remember for sure.
yea she divorced him and his skills went to crap.

he found Jesus after that also, and that might have been why he stopped trying to kill people on D

although it probably had more to do with him not keeping himself in shape and not caring enough about football after he signed his big contract.

Last edited by ZB9; 03-06-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #64
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
I love me some 8 man fronts that mean a safety is in the box.

Peace
Everyone does, except the offense. Which is why so many teams are formationing (for lack of a better term) defenses out of it. One of the many and main reasons, why there really isn't such a thing as a strong safety in the traditional sense any more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »