Home

Who is the best RB is the NFL?

This is a discussion on Who is the best RB is the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Who is the best RB is the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I have no idea what that word is you made up. But I do know that if you've never watched the man play then your argument against him may be a bit more passionate than it should be. And if you go back to my exact quote, I have no idea where you get me comparing him to Parker or Gore. To be clear, if we're going to make sophs like Johnson, Slaton and Forte among the best backs in the league after just one year then McFadden deserves to be mentioned. I don't think any of them should be in this discussion. They all need to prove it over time, but I actually watched McFadden play with serious toe injuries on both feet and don't need to see stats to know he would've put up similar numbers to the other rookies had he been healthy.

You're again making strong statements about a guy you've never watched play and bringing up names like Gore from nowhere.

I haven't played a football video game in years. Chris Johnson, Slaton and Forte don't deserve mention either. None of them have proven enough one way or the other.
"WASHEMPLAE" is a bastardization of the phrase "Watch him/them play." I consider a poor argument because it's unfair to ask one person to watch every single team play in order to have an opinion. It's also a subjective way of judging talent. In my experience, it's mostly brought up when one side has no objective basis for their opinion. If you think that McFadden has shown enough to be compared with the elite backs from his class, I would like to see what evidence if any you're basing it off. For the record, I don't consider any of the backs from last season's class top 5.

I brought up Gore and Parker because I was also arguing with ProfessorPackMan who put those two on the same level as McFadden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #66
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
"WASHEMPLAE" is a bastardization of the phrase "Watch him/them play." I consider a poor argument because it's unfair to ask one person to watch every single team play in order to have an opinion. It's also a subjective way of judging talent. In my experience, it's mostly brought up when one side has no objective basis for their opinion. If you think that McFadden has shown enough to be compared with the elite backs from his class, I would like to see what evidence if any you're basing it off. For the record, I don't consider any of the backs from last season's class top 5.

I brought up Gore and Parker because I was also arguing with ProfessorPackMan who put those two on the same level as McFadden.
I didn't ask if you watched every game... you haven't seen him play at all. And you don't have an opinion, you're making very strong statements based on a situation that has many variables you can't be familiar with if you're only looking at box scores. The truth is, I'm looking at him based on much more details, and you're discrediting that and saying that your argument is more objective. That's pretty ironic, don't ya think?

In terms of comparing all of the backs in the NFL to say who deserves in the conversation of who's the best, I'd say McFadden's touches is in the group with any other rookie from last year... not nearly enough for serious consideration. This isn't a thread asking which of last year's rookies are the best. I'd give the extra touches the other guys had a bit more weight in that case. But in this thread, the only way ANY of them get considerd is if we lean heavy on potential rather than actual numbers, and McFadden's potential still remains just as high as any of them. I wouldn't call any of them "elite" at this point.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #67
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

BTW, here are some stats that may help you understand a bit more.

McFadden had less than half the rushing attempts as Johnson (due pretty much to injury) and ended up with about half the yards and TDs. Johnson is known for being a great threat out of the backfield and McFadden had more recieving yards despite less opportunity.

Again, if we're only ranking these guys, McFadden takes a big hit for not being able to show his skills more. But in this thread, any of them being mentioned is leaning on potential and his value doesn't take the same hit just bc few have seen him... it's not like he didn't play at all.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #68
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

I'm not going to give my opinion on who's the best (Everybody's been mentioned). But, it amazes me that ONE person brought up Clinton Portis and that person is a friggin' FSU fan!

Portis never got props on OS. Let's circle back, shall we?

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ll-denver.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...re-saying.html

But dude has been consistent over the years. Doesn't get hurt, except for that one season. Yet, Portis is overlooked. As always.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #69
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I guess it's because he isn't "sexy" enough or isn't being hyped up to no end by the guys in Bristol. But you're right, dude is always overlooked and I never know why but yet people are putting guys like Chris Johnson, MJD over him?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #70
Banned

BLBxLakers24's Arena

OVR: 4

LT best I ever seen play the posistion.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #71
Banned

BLBxLakers24's Arena

OVR: 4

Portis is one of the most consistant backs out there... And has been for a very long time, with LT.... Westbrook 2 seasons ago was great, injuries now..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #72
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
I'm not going to give my opinion on who's the best (Everybody's been mentioned). But, it amazes me that ONE person brought up Clinton Portis and that person is a friggin' FSU fan!
He plays for the Redskins. That's like three strikes against him right there.

Seriously though, he's certainly worth bringing up in this topic, particularly compared to guys like Slaton, Johnson, and Forte (guys who need to prove they aren't flashes in the pan) or McFadden (guys who haven't proven anything at all).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »