Home

Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

This is a discussion on Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?
Definitely. 46 18.11%
Maybe, give him a ring and he's in. 81 31.89%
No and I don't think he ever will be. 127 50.00%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Just look at what Phillip Rivers has managed w/ a non-existent supporting cast in SD this year.
Um, they're 4-5 and 3rd place in their division. The argument against McNabb seems to be that his team was unable to win football games, I don't see how using Rivers this year is a great example. They're 1st in total offense, but also 5th in total defense. Just because they're not putting up monster stats with guys who are household names, doesn't necessarily mean he's the only guy on the team with talent.
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey
Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #18
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

I watched Donovan McNabb his whole career in Philadelphia. I just can't put him in the same class as the HOF QB's like Elway, Marino, Montana, Young. I never felt he was one of the best during his era. He definitely was a really good QB and most teams would've taken him in a heartbeat. My gut just says he was really good, but not good enough. It is the Hall of Fame, after all. You should be the absolute best, and McNabb never was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 17

HOF? Maybe. One of the greats, or anything like that? Not at all. He's got decent stats, but the stats never translated to rings. Blame that on his team all you want. I'm in the middle on McNabb. Some people give him WAY too much credit, while others completely bury him.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

That's a great point. It seems like McNabb is one QB where people seem to be either completely for him or completely against him. It's funny, I was always in his corner for the longest time. "Philly will rue the day they get rid of him and have to find another franchise QB." And they still may because Vick isn't going to be there 10 years since he's already 30. But that's off topic. Anyway, I slowly started to shift away from McNabb. It seemed like every time the stage was set for McNabb to prove everyone wrong... he proved them all right. At times it was just so frustrating to watch him because you know he has the talent and the ability, but it always seemed like when all the chips were down, he couldn't rally his team back from the dead. I think Philly made an excellent, smart, emotionless move by trading him this offseason because things aren't going to suddenly turn around for him. I think he's got some decent football left, but he's not going to be at the same level he was at in his heyday with the Eagle

Quote:
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

This is crazy. Warner over McNabb? Warner had the greatest show on turf then he inherented Boldin and Fitzgerald. This whole ring thing is ridiculous not ever QB is going to win won. Jim Kelly is still very much a HOF so is Marino. If journeyman Warner is a HOF'er McNabb without a doubt is right now.

McNabb truly may be the least appreciated player of all time. The only QB thats has done more offensively with less in McNabb's era has been Brady.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Quote:
McNabb truly may be the least appreciated player of all time. The only QB thats has done more offensively with less in McNabb's era has been Brady.
Maybe that's just it. Brady may be the one comparable QB of McNabb's era. Both were set up with pretty average supporting casts and pretty good defenses. Brady won 3 Super Bowls with that average cast, beating McNabb once, while McNabb made one Super Bowl and never won one. Most people put Brady up there with Manning as a top QB in the NFL, while McNabb is at best, on the next tier.

I don't know if McNabb's 5 NFCCG apperances hurts, or helps him. It really just depends on who's judging it; is it he took them there against the odds, or he couldn't get over the hump when there?

And Warner a journeyman? He's been on 3 teams (STL, NYG, ARZ).

Quote:

Last edited by slickdtc; 11-11-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I've come to the realization that, at least on message boards, there seems to never be any respect for any great players of this era. It's one thing to cite the facts, but a totally different and absurd thing to ignore what a player has accomplished. If you let fans of today tell it, everybody sucks. Brady sucks, McNabb sucks, Manning sucks, Roethlisberger sucks.

I'd rank McNabb as the Eagles best QB of all time, and that includes names like Van Brocklin, Jaworski, and Cunningham. He has one of the highest winning percentages of all time, higher than Troy Aikman's. Statistically, he's better than a few QB's already in the hall who played on far more prolific offenses with better WR's and RB's from the most recent era. His TD-INT ratio is one of the best ever. Throw in 23 GW drives. Over 3,000 yards rushing and 28 TD's, ranks as one of the best ever. 6-time Pro Bowler, and it should've been 8 or 9 because he got robbed in a few seasons.

McNabb did all of that going his entire career without a great RB, and most of his career without a great WR like most of those guys in the hall had (he only had one for 22 total games). The same year they finally get him a great WR, he winds up in the Super Bowl.

Yeah, he had a lot of injuries and as a result he wasn't able to show up in a number of games and that's a knock on him since durability is a major factor. But taking into account his entire body of work, I can easily overlook that. Championships are a team effort, and while a QB can make all the difference in the world there, I can't take someone off the hall course because they don't have one. You'd have to throw most of the guys in the hall out of the hall and shut it down if championships were made the main criteria.

Thank you.

I just dont understand how you can look at Warner's resume compared to McNabbs' and say Warner should be in and not McNabb.

This culture is obsessed with rings @ the QB position like its an individual sport. Winning titles are so hard in the NFL. First you have to have more talent and depth then 90% of the league and still get lucky. Some people believe Peyton Manning is the best QB of all time. He has played with a supremely talented team on both sides of the ball the majority of his career and only yield two SB appearances and one ring.

Ring or not Mc5 is a an all time great. I'm borderline disgested at the level of disrespect for this man's career.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #24
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Maybe that's just it. Brady may be the one comparable QB of McNabb's era. Both were set up with pretty average supporting casts and pretty good defenses. Brady won 3 Super Bowls with that average cast, beating McNabb once, while McNabb made one Super Bowl and never won one. Most people put Brady up there with Manning as a top QB in the NFL, while McNabb is at best, on the next tier.

I don't know if McNabb's 5 NFCCG apperances hurts, or helps him. It really just depends on who's judging it; is it he took them there against the odds, or he couldn't get over the hump when there?

And Warner a journeyman? He's been on 3 teams (STL, NYG, ARZ).
If you just count his NFL years. What did he do when he wasnt surrounded by maybe the best WR's core in the league at that time? Nothing.

It's not like he was traded in grand fashion. These teams STL and NYG just let him go.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »