Home

Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022)

This is a discussion on Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022) within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #169

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022)

The guy Seattle got from Coyotes they just flipped to the Flames for a 4th.

The trade is fair and all, but was picking Pitlick to flip him for a 4th better than picking any of the RFAs the Coyotes had?

Brayden Burke is putting up good numbers in the AHL and is 24, Lane Pederson is 23 and averaging a PPG in the AHL, just as 2 examples here that I would've taken over a 4th.

Last edited by Majingir; 07-22-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #170
All Star

rdnk's Arena

0 side deals, and one player who was picked that got shipped off. If Seattle doesn't have a massive FA class incoming, this looks like a total disaster especially offensively.

At this point in time, Vegas was basically better talent-wise across the board along with having a bevy of extra picks and a better coach.

Alex Nedeljkovic is a nice pickup for a 3rd. Him and Greiss should be a quality combo in net.

I like what Arizona has done these past few days. Picked up 4 2nds, and all they gave up is a goalie would Seattle likely would have taken anyways and ~9 M in cap space. I could even see Ghost bouncing back in Arizona and getting flipped for more value. Pitlick is a fairly minor loss for them; a 4th liner who in fact I believe they signed him with the sole purpose of exposing him to Seattle.

Last edited by rdnk; 07-22-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #171
Inter Miami

southernmetalhead's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
I like what Arizona has done these past few days. Picked up 4 2nds, and all they gave up is a goalie would Seattle likely would have taken anyways and ~9 M in cap space. I could even see Ghost bouncing back in Arizona and getting flipped for more value. Pitlick is a fairly minor loss for them; a 4th liner who in fact I believe they signed him with the sole purpose of exposing him to Seattle.

Sure but yeah Arizona has no idea of competing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2021, 12:47 AM   #172
All Star

rdnk's Arena

My thoughts of each of the expansion picks.

Anaheim: Fleury is fine. I'm personally not a fan, but Anaheim didn't leave much available unless you like overpaid cheese like Henrique or Shattenkirk. Comparable to Fleury is Guhle, Heinonen and Larsson.
Arizona: Slim pickings here. Fischer is more interesting if you're willing to put effort into developing him. Pitlick is probably worth more immediately due to a defined role. Honestly with 29 other players, I may just take the 4th here.
Boston: Lauzon isn't exactly my style of defender, but he's more of a known than Zboril. Nick Ritchie is probably the BPA here though.
Buffalo: I'm a big believer of a Colin Miller bounce back. I just don't see a lot of upside in Borgen.
Calgary: Giordano is the BPA. I wonder what Calgary would have given up in picks to not select him. A 3rd? A 2nd?
Carolina: Probably the first real misstep for Seattle. Gotta go with Bean or El Nino here. If you don't believe in Bean, he's still worth a 2nd based on the deal today with Columbus.
Chicago: Quenneville is a not-spect. Complete waste of a pick. If you want to save money, take an actual player in Gaudette. I'm not a fan, but I'm sure you could find a taker for Zadorov based on his size, age and physicality alone. Connolly is a solid mid-6 winger.
Colorado: Donskoi is the BPA, unless you want to drastically overpay Landeskog.
Columbus: Bayreuther is a not-spect. Domi is the BPA. If you have character concerns with Domi, then take Kukan. Or just flip Domi.
Dallas: Bishop is too risky. Dallas didn't leave much up (Mascherin?), so going with the UFA in Oleksiak isn't that bad. The contract is an overpay however.
Detroit: Stetcher is the BPA, although Namtestnikov offers solid middle six versatility. Svechnikov is too injury prone. Cholowski's (and Rasmussen's for that matter) development has been botched.
Edmonton: I thought Larsson would get more on the open market. Selecting him here at that price is probably worth not waiting and praying he doesn't get a bigger offer in FA. Edmonton didn't leave much up unless you really like Tyler Benson.
Florida: I like Driedger, but I think Frank Vatrano is the BPA here. Take Vatrano, give Florida a 6th or 7th for Driedger's rights. Or don't and hope he doesn't get a bigger offer in FA.
LA: A facepuncher like MacDermid is a waste of a pick. I've always liked AA's speed and Clague is moderately interesting. Not a whole lot here, but value is still value.
Minnesota: If you're passing on Driedger, than Kahkonen is the play here. If not, Soucy is the correct choice. I'm not a fan, but he could be flipped if you share my opinion of him.
Montreal: Price and Drouin are probably too high risk. I think Kulak is better than Fleury, but maybe you like the brother thing.
Nashville: I wonder what Nashville was offering to take Johanson or Duchene. Jarnkrok is probably the BPA otherwise. Sissions has an interesting contract.
New Jersey: What's your risk/reward tolerance here? Bastian is probably a bottom 6 only guy, but he's young. Johnsson is young and is on a sweet deal if he's the Leafs' Johnsson and not the Devil's. What are the odds of a Subban renaissance? I'm going with Johnsson here.
NYI: Eberle or Bailey. Can't go wrong with either.
NYR: Not much here. Blackwell is the best play.
Ottawa: Dadonov is high risk. Daccord is the perfect 3rd goalie for Seattle due to being waiver exempt. Tierney is a solid middle six guy. I probably go with Daccord too.
Philadelphia: Hoo boy lots to unpack here. Twarynski is another not-spect. Could have gotten back a 2nd to take on Ghost, who I believe has a bounce back in him. JVR is probably getting more than 2 years and 7 M per if he's a FA right now. Voracek is pretty good too, or you could have Atkinson. Lots of interesting players here, Seattle got it wrong.
Pittsburgh: Tanev is the Rolls-Royce of bottom 6 guys. I think there enough middle six guys out there to pass. Pettersson is a young 2nd pairing D and I think Zucker is better than what he's shown.
San Jose: Donato is the BPA, but I wouldn't fault you for going with the more role defined and local boy in Gambrell. Maybe you like pylons and Simek is your guy. The truth is, Alexander True is not the play here.
St. Louis: If St. Louis isn't releasing medical history, then Tarasenko is a pass. Vince Dunn all the way.
Tampa: I'll be curious to see what Gourde does in a bigger role. I think Palat is slightly better especially with the dearth of top 6 wingers. I think Foote's value is overinflated based on his 1st round pedigree and last name. I wonder what Tampa was willing to move to shed Johnson. Could I get Johnson, Gourde and Palat?
Toronto: McCann is better than Kerfoot, Seattle got it right. Nice job to Toronto; basically gave up nothing to keep Kerfoot.
Vancouver: I suppose Kole Lind is waiver eligible? Vancouver exposed a lot of garbage. Hot, stinky garbage.
Washington: Vanecek, Vanecek, Vanecek.
Winnipeg: I think DeMelo is the better player here, but Appleton is the second best choice here and I wouldn't fault you for taking him.

2021 2nd OVA: Beniers is the correct pick here.

I think Vegas did a better job; even without knowing how strong Vegas ending up being, they had a similar caliber of team but had a better coach and a bevy of picks to build with. Seattle may have outsmarted itself by placing too high a price on taking bad deals on or protecting extra players. I believe they overvalued cap space. Seattle threw a lot of value away with the Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, LA, Philly and San Jose picks. There are some other suboptimal picks, but they are at least defensible as opposed to the six above.

Watch them now sign/acquire multiple high end players and make me look like a fool.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #173

Majingir's Arena

Seattle trades the guy they got from LA to the Avs for a 4th round pick.

Another head scratching move.

Athanasiou is an RFA. Surely Seattle could've just taken him? If someone else signs him, Seattle would get at least a 3rd round pick for him.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #174
All Star

rdnk's Arena

Yeah it's a 2023 4th...

You probably still select Vanecek, but based on the Caps trade with Winnipeg, they could have selected Dillon and flipped him for 2 2nds.

I'd rather have Yanni Gourde than Johnson and a 2nd. Chicago is making some strange moves this offseason.

Taking on Stralman and a 2nd, like the Coyotes did yesterday, could also have been an option with Florida. Actually, could have taken Stralman for a 2nd and Dreidger's rights.

Seattle seems to be close to signing Jaden Schwartz, which makes sense given their lack of obvious scoring on the roster.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #175
All Star

rdnk's Arena

So besides Jaden Schwartz' deal 5 year at 5.5 M, the Kraken made some other moves. Wennberg for 3 years, 4.5 M per to be the second line center.

Grubauer for 6 years, 5.9 M per. Then they send Vanacek back to Washington for a 2nd. In a vacuum this is fine, but given the circumstances of what was picked, they could have used one of their nothing picks on a goalie, selected Dillon, flipped him for 2 2nds and then signed Grubauer, thus coming out ahead by 1 2nd.

Seattle has 16 M left in cap space with Vince Dunn and a few cheapo RFAs to sign. They could use at least one more top 6 winger and perhaps another center if they don't think Beniers can make the jump right away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #176

Majingir's Arena

Given the division they're in, Seattle is making the playoffs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »