Home

Does madden want a realistic game?

This is a discussion on Does madden want a realistic game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Does madden want a realistic game?

I feel like they don’t want a true football simulator because there would be a lot of pushback from their fan base who instantly rolls out, and throws slant routes across the field (because every nfl QB obviously can hold the ball for 4 seconds a play).
Just lost a game against a guy. (I run the offense that I coordinate for a high school team) I’m in pro weak I. He spreads out his entire defense. In a nickel front. Yet I can’t get more than 2 yards on inside running plays for whatever reason.
To stop my outside run game (outside zone) he pinches his line in, and his backers scrape for 2 yard gains because the offensive line will not take their correct reach step. This game is impossible to play for someone who knows what they’re looking at especially if they’re playing someone who knows the abuses of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Re: Does madden want a realistic game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdownkickout
I feel like they don’t want a true football simulator because there would be a lot of pushback from their fan base who instantly rolls out, and throws slant routes across the field (because every nfl QB obviously can hold the ball for 4 seconds a play).
Just lost a game against a guy. (I run the offense that I coordinate for a high school team) I’m in pro weak I. He spreads out his entire defense. In a nickel front. Yet I can’t get more than 2 yards on inside running plays for whatever reason.
To stop my outside run game (outside zone) he pinches his line in, and his backers scrape for 2 yard gains because the offensive line will not take their correct reach step. This game is impossible to play for someone who knows what they’re looking at especially if they’re playing someone who knows the abuses of the game.

No, they aren’t attempting to create a football simulation and never will. Your average fan doesn’t understand the nuances of the game any deeper than than the antidotal color commentary they hear on television, so EA isn’t going to alienate potential customers to satisfy a small segment of players who want more - hurting their shareholders in the process.

The game wants to be grounded in basic fundamental football, but some areas of the game exaggerated or underrepresented to be accessible to customers who are fans of the NFL but not necessarily experts in the arithmetic and geometry of the game overall. Some examples of this are extended time in the pocket for QBs and frequency of penalties. These change increase the players chance of being successful in-game, which increases the likelihood that they will enjoy the game, which increases the likelihood that they will buy the game again. Win for business, yay!

Welcome to the realities of being a niche market for a monopolized product, brother. It’s cold in here, might wanna bring a coat.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
MVP

briz1046's Arena

To be fair ...if any sports game required the user to possess the skill-set and knowledge required to actually play it's counterpart in real life it would have a extremely limited potential audience

Allowances for this are necessary and always will be in any video game that wants sell more than a few thousand copies

Secondly it is a video game and as such there will always be users whose knowledge of how *the game* functions and ability to manipulate that supercede (for them at least ) any desire to mimic the reflected sport
in order to *win*

I'd suggest finding a like-minded league or group of * friends* ( or play offline) to get the best experience for you
Old 02-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

I think they're definitely more focused on competitive head to head play.. and MUT has taken on a life of its own.

.. I will continue to hope another brand can get involved. I'm convinced EA can't/won't deliver what many of us are looking for.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

When they eliminated defensive holding I knew their vision was ultimately catoring to the bovine masses who value bling over substance. The only way to push Madden into extreme football sim side is to push Madden players that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdownkickout

Madden never was and never will be a true simulation of the sport. If likes of Mariota and Vick end up as better QBs/football players in the game, it tells you everything. I mean take a look at any of the competitive Madden tournaments and literally every person has likes of Mariota, Vick, Wentz or Randall Cunningham as their QB (in the earlier years it used to be Kaepernick).

When Madden can't even get the most important position in the game right and likes of the above-mentioned are actually valued higher than the likes of Brady, Montana, manning etc. in the game, it tells you all.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
Madden never was and never will be a true simulation of the sport. If likes of Mariota and Vick end up as better QBs/football players in the game, it tells you everything. I mean take a look at any of the competitive Madden tournaments and literally every person has likes of Mariota, Vick, Wentz or Randall Cunningham as their QB (in the earlier years it used to be Kaepernick).

When Madden can't even get the most important position in the game right and likes of the above-mentioned are actually valued higher than the likes of Brady, Montana, manning etc. in the game, it tells you all.

This is true ...probably Maddens biggest flaw gameplay wise in my opinion is it's inability to portray or adequately differentiate football IQ/ smarts or however you wish to phrase it
Old 02-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
This is true ...probably Maddens biggest flaw gameplay wise in my opinion is it's inability to portray or adequately differentiate football IQ/ smarts or however you wish to phrase it

You have a good point, but besides accuracy, the most important parts of great quarterbacking in rea life are the ability to read a defense quickly, pocket presence, and the ability to throw with anticipation. 75% or more of what makes a good qb is something that can’t really be simulated with ratings.

If they made things like release speed actually matter, that could help, but then users would just adjust their timing of pressing the throw button.

In other words, when playing as Kaepernick, the user can give him what amounts to the video game version of Brady’s vision and mind. The only way to “fix” this is to UNREALISTICALLY OVERCOMPENSATE with ratings like accuracy and consistency of throw.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »